Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> yehaa!!!!!!!, it's on
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 15 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #21

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (messix @ Feb 11 2006, 11:35 AM)
awe come on cap'n. the evil france empire has forced some pretty amazing saftey measures on the tracks to save them pretty boys from gettin hurt. they can't be all that bad.

Oh, really? Take a look at this: "Some critics insist that the drivers have to police themselves in order to end the practice, but that's a fundamentally flawed theory. As Dr. Bud once memorably said, "Drivers would race through a shit storm for twinkies if it came right down to it" - and that is the truth. No, the responsibility lies with NASCAR, which means that nothing will get done until the situation is untenable, or somebody gets seriously injured - or killed. After all, we're talking about an entity that makes congress seem decisive and proactive. You only have to look at NASCAR's track record when it comes to using unleaded racing fuel to get an idea of the pace of NASCAR's decision making (or lack thereof). The idea of using unleaded fuel surfaced many, many years ago, but NASCAR has consistently dragged its feet on the subject up until about five years ago. Then, after exhaustively testing the fuel, NASCAR has finally announced that it will incorporate it into all of its divisions - beginning in 2008. And that's just one example.

No, the onus is on NASCAR to end the lurid practice of bump-drafting. They need to take the kind of dramatic steps I've been suggesting for years, which are, 1. Dramatically cut the size of their engines to no more than 2.5 liters and, 2. Pull the restrictor-plates off of the cars. It will mean much less horsepower, but it will put a large measure of control back in the drivers' hands.

It took Dale Earnhardt's death at Daytona five years ago to force NASCAR to finally mandate driver safety equipment that had been common in other racing series for years."
That's from today's issue of Autoextremist.com.
The Cap'n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914-8
post Feb 15 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

Where's that picture of the Nascar fan at a race with a big "3" shaved in his backhair when you need it??
+Quote Post
jasons
post Feb 15 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #23

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

Here we are....

(IMG:http://paulaoffutt.com/pics/redneck/at_race.jpg)

From the same site, this guy is F'n Nuts.

(IMG:http://paulaoffutt.com/pics/redneck/wood_jack.jpg)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 15 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #24

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Ya think it's called the "Red Neck Racer" cause I'm from Kalifornia or Sumpin?
Hell No I'm as south as you can get and still speak English in the Waffle House.

Them is Diamond racing wheels on the racer too.

Go Mark Martin (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
kart54
post Feb 15 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,520

Well Ya'll
I gots to chip in here. Cap'n. love ya, but gimme a break. Safety issues? Have you looked at the track at Nurburgring, Long Beach or Lemans lately? I run SCCA they don't know what safety is and can't spell it I don't think. For the first time I'm required to runa fuel cell in my car this year and that's only because of Dale Jr.'s crash at Daytona last year. Racing's dangerous, always has been always will be. I accepted that when I started at 12 years old and I accept it now in my 40's. Safety is, and should be, my decision not some governing body. Nuff of that. Comin down of my keg of Miller now.
We all gots some good old boys in Californya runnin in dat series dat we should be rootin fer. Tony Stewart's gas man, Oxnard, CA.; Fed Ex car support sponsor, Haas CNC, Oxnard, CA.; Kevin Harvick and Jimmy Johnson, Bakersfield, CA.; Jeff Gordon, East Bay, San Francisco, Robby Gordon, Orange County, CA (still hate him, raced with him for too long, there's a guy that should be banned, he's been dangerous for years).; Stanton Barrett. Mammoth Lakes, CA (one of Dave Mccoy's grandkids). My cousin is a co-sponsor on Ken Schrader's ride and is up by you in T.O. Howard. Der's a bunch more but dat's enough to keep me interested.

Yee Haw, Bump draft till you die!!! Rubbin's racin and crashin is inevitable (Know dat's a big word but couldn't help myself). I'm gonna go put on my Jimmy Buffett and Kenny Chesney and make me a margarity while I grill on the tailgate of my truck and oogle the fake blonde with the silicone and the big lips down the street; don't tell the wife. I'll be on the beach, just on the wrong end of the country.

Go Carl Edwards and Jimmy Johnson.

On a more serious note, yes Nascar is overexposed these days but at least there is an auto racing series getting some coverage. My favorite series, Trans Am is dead, IRL and Champ car are almost dead, nobody has truly cared about SCCA who wasn't a racer or friend of a racer in years. Formula one is a bad joke. Off road racing hasn't had a major sponsor since I can't remember when and I can't even think of any other series worth watching.

Iffin' I had my druthers it would be non-winged sprint cars. Those guys are the last true individualists but even their numbers are dwindling as I notice every time I go to my local track (Plug for Ventura Raceway, the bset little dirt track in the west, or Santa Maria Speedway or Perris (best and fastest 1/2 mile of dirt in the world)). Let your hair down, take your kids and have fun, that's what it's all about.

So Cap'n when was the last time you were at Santa Maria Speedway? Parts of my car came from a Porsche 914 that won the series championship there.
Even Porsche supports oval track racing (Well now, I'm strecthin the trut der some but what the heck).

I hear their talkin bout runnin the Cayenne in Nascar in 2007.

I'm guessin Cap'n you'd probably want to watch the Ice Dancing at the olympics or maybe the synchronized swimming from the summer olympics (Just Joking!!! LOL).

Okay I dun stirred it up now but the twin 150's aren't till tommorrow so I got's free time on my hand. Time to leave here and go check out the Nascar site.
After a while crocodiles.
Randy

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 15 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #26

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (kart54 @ Feb 15 2006, 03:10 PM)

So Cap'n when was the last time you were at Santa Maria Speedway? Parts of my car came from a Porsche 914 that won the series championship there.
Even Porsche supports oval track racing (Well now, I'm strecthin the trut der some but what the heck).

After a while crocodiles.
Randy

For a few days, I OWNED that car. Gave it to Mark Britell, and we scrapped it. There was, I will admit, a huge temptation to take it to the GAF this fall ..........
On a serious note, the guy who wrote that little article has been around amateur and pro racing for about 50 years, and knows it better than almost anyone. If he says it, I'm inclined to believe it. NASCAR is entertainment, and the France family, the only one to actually make money on the entire program, is the SOLE beneficiary of anything good that happens there. I am truly surprised Toyota has bellied up to the Kool-aid pitcher ........... I thought they were smarter than that. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Feb 16 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Really if you want to make money in the United States racing Nascar's pretty much the only way to go. I've got a bunch of friends that all make fun of it because they're all into scca and stuff, (converted a couple to 914s from mgs and stuff) but they will probably never even dream of getting to do some form of racing as a living.

I'm currently helping crew on a late model when I'm home, and race when I've got money. I'm pretty big on almost any type of racing except maybe drag racing. But realistically out of all of my engineering student buddies there's probably only two of us that maybe have any kind of shot at all of making a living with racing in some capacity.

So tomorrow as I'm at work study, I'm going to be watching track pass while slacking off hoping that maybe some of the underdog guys I root for can make it, and hoping that I don't have to run any errands or anything til the race is over.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:05 AM