Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Beginner welders 220v, 914 repair requires welding
Jaiden
post Feb 12 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,443

My Clutch tube has come loose and I need to get some welding done. This is the perfect excuse to get a basic starter set-up.
I have single phase 220 in the garage. What are the essentials and how can I get started as cheap as possible? Used equiptment? Welding Video's? Basic wire feed rate tables etc...?

any help will definitly be appreciated as I need to get this taken care of ASAP!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 12 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wire feed tables are welder specific, so depednig on make and model there is variation. I went with a Miller 175 (220v) and I love it. I did it all new, the price was great from indiana oxygen (check their ebay store).

I got a couple of welding books that were helpful, but the real help was when my dad gave me some pointers and to help show me what a good weld looks like or doesn't. A book can't really do that. The video I got from Miller with my welder was weak.

You will need welding gloves, I recomend an auto darkening helmet (can be had for cheap from harbor freight), some wire brushes, a tank, replacement tips, spare liner, maybe a nozzle, welding pliers, grinder too.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 12 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Feb 12 2006, 05:35 PM)
Wire feed tables are welder specific, so depednig on make and model there is variation. I went with a Miller 175 (220v) and I love it. I did it all new, the price was great from indiana oxygen (check their ebay store).

I got a couple of welding books that were helpful, but the real help was when my dad gave me some pointers and to help show me what a good weld looks like or doesn't. A book can't really do that. The video I got from Miller with my welder was weak.

You will need welding gloves, I recomend an auto darkening helmet (can be had for cheap from harbor freight), some wire brushes, a tank, replacement tips, spare liner, maybe a nozzle, welding pliers, grinder too.

Me too. I love my Miller 175 (mines about 9 years old - it's the previous model) Find a good deal on a good welder and you can use it forever - and you will use it all the time. Get the autodark helmet it will help your welding a bunch. Use gas - fluxed wire is a comprimise. Miller has some good books on MIG...........
If your not careful you will turn into a tool whore like me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 12 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #4

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I strongly suggest a small Lincoln 110v wire feed with gas kit.

For around $400 you can get everything you need to weld sheet metal up to 5/16"plate.

very portable, so you can take it over and help your buddies and what not (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 13 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #5

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

miller-matic 175 has teh power and feed speed chart in teh side cover. also has anti tip shorting tip and infinite speed and power adj

I use an auto darkening helmet for an extra $135. I think it makes learning easier

I went to san diego welding supply and although I paid a bit more, teh relationship was well worth the 20 bucks. they show me a new trick every time I go there

I went to the metal scrap place and picked up practice pcs

practice, practice, practice
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 05:25 AM