Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine stand questions
Richard Casto
post Feb 15 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #1

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

I am dismantling two Type IV engines that was part of the parts stash that came with my car when I purchased it. I am at the point that I would like to put the engine on an engine stand. Also at some point I expect to have a 3.2 six on a stand. I have never used one before and I need some tips…

1. I was looking at buying a Harbor Freight version. If I remember correctly they have 750, 1000 and 2000 lbs versions. Anyone have experience with these? The 1000 is only a bit more than the 750 version, but the 2000 version is about twice as much as the 2000. Any reason to not just by the 1000 lbs version?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=32916

2. I assume that an adapter like they sell on PP is needed.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images...and-mainely.jpg

The PP adapter seems a bit pricy at $155? Alternatives? Other sources? Anyone want to sell me one cheap?

3. How in the hell do you lift the engine up onto the stand once it is mounted to the adapter? Do you use an engine lift, crib up stuff and jack it up (sounds risky), two or three strong friends lift it into place, any of the above? One of the two is to the point that it is just a case that needs to be split and I can lift that. The other is a long block and I can’t lift that by myself.

Thanks,

Richard
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 15 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

All things considered, you NEED either that adapter or the real engine stand "yoke". The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 15 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2006, 04:58 PM)
All things considered, you NEED either that adapter or the real engine stand "yoke". The Cap'n

PP sells the real yoke for about $180 or so and the adapter for about $155 or so. The price diff is not that large. Should I just get the yoke instead? Are pretty much all engine stand mounts universal (ID of mount that yoke would go into?) Still thinking both adapter and yoke are price. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Feb 15 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,061

Look in your JCWhitney book in the same box with the engine stands is a VW adapter, I've one for years for TY4 engines . I do not use it for 911 engines...to much at stake
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 15 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Al Meredith @ Feb 15 2006, 09:09 PM)
Look in your JCWhitney book in the same box with the engine stands is a VW adapter, I've one for years for TY4 engines . I do not use it for 911 engines...to much at stake

cbperformance has them too...
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 15 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Richard Casto @ Feb 15 2006, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2006, 04:58 PM)
All things considered, you NEED either that adapter or the real engine stand "yoke".  The Cap'n

PP sells the real yoke for about $180 or so and the adapter for about $155 or so. The price diff is not that large. Should I just get the yoke instead? Are pretty much all engine stand mounts universal (ID of mount that yoke would go into?) Still thinking both adapter and yoke are price. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

The yoke would be better, but it may not fit in your stand very well. If you have plans for a big 6, then you want the yoke with a lot of curved arms, not just the 4 on the lighter weight version. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 16 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look at the other sources you mentioned. With the "six" rebuild probably at least a year or more away, I may do something cheap with respects to my type 4 teardown and then invest in a nicer yoke later on if I can't find something I like now.

Any comments regarding my question about the best way to get the engine on/off the stand once it is mounted to the yoke? If an engine lift is the preferred method (really don't want a lift in my garage if I can avoid it) then what is the pickup points/method used for both a type 4 and 911?
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 16 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #8

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)

Come on, someone has some tips on how to get engine up onto the engine stand. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 16 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I use an affordable chinese method; 2 Guy
usaully cost about 2 beers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jflash914
post Feb 16 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,652

2 guys can usually get the motor up in the stand. Me and my son just lifted a six motor onto the stand that was fully dressed, just make sure you have the back of the stand up against a wall so it does not roll back.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 16 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Forklift..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 16 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (jflash914 @ Feb 16 2006, 09:04 PM)
...just make sure you have the back of the stand up against a wall so it does not roll back.

ok, two guy method it is. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the tip on the issue with the stand rolling away/falling over.
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post Feb 16 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 273

Well....here's one crazy idea that I grew up doing this....

My father has his own race engine rebuilding projects going on in his home basement and at times he's alone to do stuff around. He came up with an idea of using an old trashed input tranny shaft, drill a 20mm hole through the ceiling rafters (in the garage of course), stick the input shaft in the hole, hook up the "come along" cable and ratch'n up the engine off the floor then swing the stand over to where the yoke is aligned...push the engine toward the stand and pronto, you're done...unratchet the come along and then go on with your business...

works very well everytime....

j
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Feb 16 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Carrera916 @ Feb 16 2006, 09:53 PM)
...hook up the "come along" cable and ratch'n up the engine off the floor then...

Jerry,

Makes sense, but how did he hook onto the engine? I can see that if you have the yoke attached that you can use that on one end, but what about the other? Or did he just have some type of sling under the entire thing?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:19 AM