Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I crazy for considering this?, Talk a friend off the ledge...
neo914-6
post Feb 20 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #21

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Well said Rand...

They are two different cars and if you can only have one, then decide which is more important.

Styling/Design - 914s are like our children so we'll always think they are beautiful. As far as the Elise, I prefer the original model that looks more classic Lotus or the Opel version

Appreciation - to early to tell if the Elise will NOT appreciate later, give it a few decades...

The only solution is to completely restore and update the old 914 ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Feb 20 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,558

Our cars don't rust from salt on the roads, or battery acid running down the longs.
It's the tears they cry when they know we've been driving another! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Feb 20 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

If you can wait 3 or 4 years buy a used one and enjoy the 914 in the Meantime
+Quote Post
Van914
post Feb 20 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #24

Van914

Member No.: 90
Region Association: Upper MidWest

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

I regret selling my six still. It's been almost 3 years. It's very hard to find a six in good shape. Much less one that you can afford.
Sadly
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
van914

+Quote Post
nynone4
post Feb 20 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #25

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713

At this point I will proabably be keeping the six - at least for a while. If I were to buy an Elise - it would HAVE to be a used one. I just can't justify (or afford to for that matter) spending 10-15k more for a new one versus one that has 3-4 thousand miles on it.

Can I still hang out here? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ken914
post Feb 20 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #26

Whole lot 'O 914/6

Member No.: 3,122

Qarl has a /6 and an Elise. He seems to have dropped off this site, but if you could find him it would be an interesting person to talk with.

Anyone have contact info for Qarl they can send?
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 20 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #27

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hey man, if it were a Cayman, I'd say do it, but not for the Elise...as cool as they are, they (british cars) are horrible with resale. Get a Gayman!
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Feb 20 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #28

neo life

Member No.: 159

MikeP has both as well but with a high hp V8 in the 914...

The Elise is a blast to drive and you can go across country without a second thought. There are many tuners to make it even faster...
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 20 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #29

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 20 2006, 08:18 AM)
Hey man, if it were a Cayman, I'd say do it, but not for the Elise...as cool as they are, they (british cars) are horrible with resale. Get a Gayman!

My sense is that the resale on Elises is very good compared to other new cars due to the limited production numbers. Given that the car has all Toyota Drive train I bet its going to hold its value quite nicely. Also consider the killer gas mileage the Elise will get over the 6.
+Quote Post
ffranktly
post Feb 21 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 4,586

your 6 looks tremendous, and i hate to add fire to this.. but a friend of mine at work and i were talking about the Lotus Elize the other day, and I beleive there is a yellow /black one for sale with 1800 miles on it at Downers Grove (i think in Illinois) for 39k. cheers and good luck with your decision!.... frank
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Feb 21 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,449

It is always greener on the other guys lawn. You have a great looking and running car. I would take a few weeks and then look at it again. After you have looked at it a second time.. Sell the 914 to me.....Just kidding Stay with the 914....Old cars a cool (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Feb 21 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,449

It is always greener on the other guys lawn. You have a great looking and running car. I would take a few weeks and then look at it again. After you have looked at it a second time.. Sell the 914 to me.....Just kidding Stay with the 914....Old cars a cool (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
nynone4
post Feb 21 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #33

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713

Thanks for the compliments guys. I drove the 914 today, and it helped lessen my lust for the Elise. I am, however going up to Chicago on Friday to have my wife test drive the Elise and just really see one in person. She likes the looks of them - I just don't know if she's really aware how spartan they are.

I'll keep you guys up to date! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 21 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #34

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

going up to Chicago on Friday to have my wife test drive the Elise

Uh oh. You're doomed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Let us know what she thinks.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Feb 22 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4

get the elise. who wants to deal with a rusty 914. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 22 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #36

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

A big part of any sports car is how it sounds, and I think the flat-six is nearly unbeatable on that score. No four-cylinder can really compete with that. Lotus experimented with the M250, putting the Alfa V6 (very sexy sounding) into the Elise. Ultimately, they went with Toyota four-cylinder power, probably because Americans esp. have such an unreasonably negative view of Alfa reliability. Had the M250 been produced, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

A 914/6 with appropriate suspension mods and some lightness added should be right there with an Elise. Spend $3-4K on really nice suspension for your /6, unless you already have, and you'll have an Elise-beater that's also appreciating every year.

+Quote Post
vortrex
post Feb 22 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #37

do you think a big 914-6 with suspension will beat an elise? I take it you are talking AX? I have always wondered this. the regional AX king where I am drives a stock elise and he beats everything (carrying a passenger even!), including a Z06, which is always close behind.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 22 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #38

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (vortrex @ Feb 22 2006, 06:08 PM)
do you think a big 914-6 with suspension will beat an elise? I take it you are talking AX? I have always wondered this. the regional AX king where I am drives a stock elise and he beats everything (carrying a passenger even!), including a Z06, which is always close behind.

I would think it would be close enough that the driver would make the difference, not the car.
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Feb 22 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

Matt,
A friend of mine in Bloomington has an Elise and he tracks it a lot in the summer and just loves it. You may have met him at one of the auto-xs in Rantoul. I can put you in touch with him. He also has a Boxster and a Cayenne. From talking with Lynn it is not a good daily driver but then again you have a good trailer to take it to events.

If you decide to sell the /6, give me a call!

Mike
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Feb 22 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #40

wonder why it is not a good daily driver? the only downside I see is there's no space at all. I guess if you are big getting in/out could get tiresome. other than that.. it's great on gas mileage, easy to drive with no torque, reliable, etc. the ride can be harsh if you are on the sport suspension and A048 tires in an area like the east coast with the crappy roads. for long trips it is actually very comfortable.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:58 PM