Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Summit injector connectors, no dice :(
yarin
post Feb 21 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Just tried these out:

(IMG:http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/msd-2400_cp.jpg)

they don't fit. the connector itself doesn't plug into the injector. even with the surrounding housing ground off.

oh well.. back to square one.

where do i look now? any leads to cheap injector connectors with some form of clip mechanism?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mueller
post Feb 21 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

have you tried NAPA autoparts?

+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 21 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #3

'14-X'in FOOL

I cut up an old stock harness and managed to salvage 3 good connectors. One broke off.. Does anyone have an extra stock injector plug or two laying around they are willing to part with?

Thanks
+Quote Post
Pinepig
post Feb 21 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,350

I believe VW ( danm near anything after the CIS 90 and on ) uses the same injctor style, just go rape the whole harness off a Jetta at your local pick and pull.
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 21 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #5

'14-X'in FOOL

How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bosch-injec...sspagenameZWDVW

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 21 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 21 2006, 07:31 PM)
How about these?

Just like the ones he had. L-jet, as are the VW ones someone else suggested. I have a bunch of the kind you need for D-jet. They do NOT clip on, as there are no provisions on the injectors for them to do so. Let the bidding wars commence!
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 21 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #7

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 21 2006, 07:37 PM)
How about these?

Just like the ones he had. L-jet, as are the VW ones someone else suggested. I have a bunch of the kind you need for D-jet. They do NOT clip on, as there are no provisions on the injectors for them to do so. Let the bidding wars commence!

I ordered the ebay ones... they matched pics on another thread of someone who said they fit. I'd rather go with someone that uses clips.

Thanks
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 21 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #8

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

SDS injector page

Lots of detail here, including photos of the injector connectors for both the harness, and on the injector itself.
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 27 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #9

'14-X'in FOOL

I got my injector connectors off ebay: link here

(IMG:http://members.cox.net/forrest280z/icclose.jpg)

here are my pics:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 27 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #10

'14-X'in FOOL

its a really snug fit. the metal clips on there dont hold them in.

here is another thread about injector connectors:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...321&hl=injector

so far so good!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 27 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 21 2006, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 21 2006, 07:37 PM)
How about these?

I ordered the ebay ones... they matched pics on another thread of someone who said they fit. I'd rather go with someone that uses clips.

Thanks

What part of "no provision on the injectors for clips" don't you understand? There's NOTHING on the injectors for clips to clip to. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 27 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #12

'14-X'in FOOL

Never said there was. Someone on here modified the harness and drilled holes for another clip. Last time i looked at these injectors I saw a lip on them. Make your own clip. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 27 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Mixing apples and oranges solves some problems creates others.

The D-Jet hardware relies on the rubber boot to keep the electrical connection connected and keep contaminants out of the connection. Teh boot is very important, yet it is the first part to fail.

The L-Jet hardware does a much better job of keeping things together and the connection contamination free, but both halves of the connection must be used. Its a system.

Mixing the two provides a connection that relies only on the spring strength of the wire terminals to keep the connection together, without the 'C'-spring clip on the outer housing having a matching part on teh fuel injector to mate with, as designed. The gasket inside the outer housing is not kept in compression because of the missing C-spring clip connection on the outer housing. Its a tenuous connection at best, while it may functoinally work, its not a very good solutiuon, certainly not long-term.

The best solution is to use the original parts. everything is available. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Having a system that was designed to work together far outweighs any perceived benefit to mixing components.
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 28 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #14

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (bowlsby @ Feb 27 2006, 09:17 PM)
Mixing apples and oranges solves some problems creates others.

The D-Jet hardware relies on the rubber boot to keep the electrical connection connected and keep contaminants out of the connection. Teh boot is very important, yet it is the first part to fail.

The L-Jet hardware does a much better job of keeping things together and the connection contamination free, but both halves of the connection must be used. Its a system.

Mixing the two provides a connection that relies only on the spring strength of the wire terminals to keep the connection together, without the 'C'-spring clip on the outer housing having a matching part on teh fuel injector to mate with, as designed. The gasket inside the outer housing is not kept in compression because of the missing C-spring clip connection on the outer housing. Its a tenuous connection at best, while it may functoinally work, its not a very good solutiuon, certainly not long-term.

The best solution is to use the original parts. everything is available. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Having a system that was designed to work together far outweighs any perceived benefit to mixing components.

Good point, however the fit between the connector housing and injector body is very tight. It takes a significant amount of force to insert/remove the connector. I'm going to shrink wrap the connector as well. If it works it works, if not i'll find out the hard way.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 27 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #15

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Why couldnt you simply use the 1.8 (blue injectors) in place of your 2.0 injectors and dial up the preasure?
+Quote Post
yarin
post Mar 27 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #16

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Mar 27 2006, 12:15 AM)
Why couldnt you simply use the 1.8 (blue injectors) in place of your 2.0 injectors and dial up the preasure?

I already had 2.0 injectors that i had cleaned and ready to go. If I change injectors in the future i'll go with a whole new design and non-barb style injectors.
+Quote Post
72914S
post Mar 27 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #17

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

I can`t remember the part # but I used bmw boots they have ears that let you pull them down over the injector for a really good fit. seem sthat they were about $8.00 apiece.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Mar 28 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #18

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

This is one place I wouldn't cut any corners. Connections in the FI wiring harness need to be dependable. If there is a place where Murphy's law will apply it is here. If there is a tight but passive connections it will come loose. If there is a connection that allows moisture in it will corrode. If there is a connection that is not sealed it will get dirty. You will have continuity failures and they will happen at a bad time.

It is easy to get it up and running with bright metal connectors but, it will not run well over a long time if you do a hack job on the harness, MS has enough potential failure points (solder joints, DB37 connectors etc,) already don't add to them. Do a nice clean harness without splices and with matching components or be ready to try and troubleshoot in the dark and wet or in rush hour traffic.

I've been there.

MS has really worked well for me. I've driven it thousands of miles and the only problems I've had have been where I took shortcuts. Pay attention to details and don't cut corners or it'll bite you in the ass. Belive me, deal with this stuff in the garage before you get on the road.

You have the l-jet connectors, find some l-jet injectors. There are lots to chose from. Then sell the 2.0 liter injectors.

Dave
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 28 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,634

Why not switch to the bus L jet? Parts are more plentiful, sounds like a superior design for the connection, and should flow enough fuel, weren't the bus motors 2.0 and 2.1(Maybe 2.1 was the waterboxer) in displacement
+Quote Post
Jeff Nelson
post Mar 28 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,487

I've been looking for some L-jet style injectors, because of the superior electrical connector, for my MS 2L project. I had discounted the 1.8L injectors as having insufficient flow. I may rethink that. Here are a couple of links related to that search:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Injectors.html
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=98138
Since the 187cc/min injector (aka 1.8 injector) was used on the 912E, which is a performance version of the 2L motor (relative to a bus application), it's probably ok for a mild 2L 914 motor. These are likely high impedance (12-15 ohms) and are easier for the ECU to drive. Anyone got some handy that they would measure the resistance of to verify?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:50 PM