Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> subaru engine choice, subaru conversion question
ModPR3
post Feb 21 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,544

ok this is for the subie powered guys. i think im going to go with the subaru engine and renegade hybrids conversion kit but dont know which engine to use. i want something reliable and daily drivable not looking for crazy power, probably a max of 250hp turbo powered or 180hp n/a powered. so what do i use. a 2.5 n/a motor or 2.0t turbo motor. i would perfer to use the turbo motor but will go n/a if i have to. if i go with the turbo motor, about how much and who can make a turbo header/manifold and exhust for me that will not require cutting the origional 914 sheetmetal. also if i go with the turbo motor do i have enough room to run a heater system. thanks for the help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 21 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

if using the Renegade kit, your smart choice is to ask "them" which motor to use since that'll dictate whether or not the kit and the engine you pick is compatible (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

turbo motors generally cost more up front and are a little harder to tune...how much work can you do yourself?

+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 21 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 21 2006, 06:59 PM)
ok this is for the subie powered guys. i think im going to go with the subaru engine and renegade hybrids conversion kit but dont know which engine to use. i want something reliable and daily drivable not looking for crazy power, probably a max of 250hp turbo powered or 180hp n/a powered. so what do i use. a 2.5 n/a motor or 2.0t turbo motor. i would perfer to use the turbo motor but will go n/a if i have to. if i go with the turbo motor, about how much and who can make a turbo header/manifold and exhust for me that will not require cutting the origional 914 sheetmetal. also if i go with the turbo motor do i have enough room to run a heater system. thanks for the help.

Take a look here for a turbo exhaust that should work for a 914 - it should fit easy with a front mounted radiator. Of course you will blow the 901 trans to bits with a turbo 2.5 Suby (see Steve put on fireproof suit.) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hitfan[1].gif)
I think this setup might even work on a mid-radiator car. Outback motors
+Quote Post
ModPR3
post Feb 21 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Porcharu @ Feb 21 2006, 07:33 PM)
ok this is for the subie powered guys. i think im going to go with the subaru engine and renegade hybrids conversion kit but dont know which engine to use. i want something reliable  and daily drivable not looking for crazy power, probably a max of 250hp  turbo powered or 180hp n/a powered. so what do i use. a 2.5 n/a motor or 2.0t turbo motor. i would perfer to use the turbo motor but will go n/a if i have to. if i go with the turbo motor, about how much and who can make a turbo header/manifold and exhust for me that will not require cutting the origional 914 sheetmetal. also if i go with the turbo motor do i have enough room to run a heater system. thanks for the help.

Take a look here for a turbo exhaust that should work for a 914 - it should fit easy with a front mounted radiator. Of course you will blow the 901 trans to bits with a turbo 2.5 Suby (see Steve put on fireproof suit.) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hitfan[1].gif)

lol...fireproof suit. but yes i would stick with the subaru 2.0 usdm turbo motor and stay under 280 hp and keep the tq low too. im interested in this mid radiator setup what does this involve any info on this would be great. since this car would be my daily driver the mid radiator setup may give me more room in the front trunk.
+Quote Post
ModPR3
post Feb 21 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 21 2006, 07:16 PM)
if using the Renegade kit, your smart choice is to ask "them" which motor to use since that'll dictate whether or not the kit and the engine you pick is compatible (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

turbo motors generally cost more up front and are a little harder to tune...how much work can you do yourself?

my goal would be to do what you did and use the usdm 2.0 turbo motor. its not so much that im on a budget but the more expensive the cost for the conversion the longer i will have to wait to do it and the sooner the better. i can do any wrenching but cant weld at all. so any custom exhust work will have to be sent out. do you have an estimate for cost and parts wise for the exhust system to work with my 914. thank.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 21 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 21 2006, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Feb 21 2006, 07:33 PM)
ok this is for the subie powered guys. i think im going to go with the subaru engine and renegade hybrids conversion kit but dont know which engine to use. i want something reliable  and daily drivable not looking for crazy power, probably a max of 250hp  turbo powered or 180hp n/a powered. so what do i use. a 2.5 n/a motor or 2.0t turbo motor. i would perfer to use the turbo motor but will go n/a if i have to. if i go with the turbo motor, about how much and who can make a turbo header/manifold and exhust for me that will not require cutting the origional 914 sheetmetal. also if i go with the turbo motor do i have enough room to run a heater system. thanks for the help.

lol...fireproof suit. but yes i would stick with the subaru 2.0 usdm turbo motor and stay under 280 hp and keep the tq low too. im interested in this mid radiator setup what does this involve any info on this would be great. since this car would be my daily driver the mid radiator setup may give me more room in the front trunk.

The mid-car radiator was pioneered here on 914club.not-a-club by not-a-club-member Scott Thatcher. I am doing a follow up to his idea and am also using the Subaru transmission (try the search function and look up "Scott Thatcher" and "Subaru transmission possibility" for more info than you may want.)
See my blog for progress. I hope to have it ready by summer. Maybe not running but all bolted in and ready to go. I would really like to make it to WCC 06' in the car.
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Feb 22 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #7

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

I ended up going with the N/A 2.5 for simplicity sake. Turbo is always an option later but I figured I would have my hands full just trying to get an N/A mounted and running correctly without having to worry about the turbo stuff. Heat is another consideration with the turbo engine.

Most guys turn the intake around so that the TB is facing the front. I'm going to just cut clearance through the trunk and run my CAI through there, instant heat shield.

Kennedy Engineering Products also makes the adapter plate and flywheel for $440 + flywheel core.

I have read before that you want a SOHC instead of the DOHC version. I'll try to find the reasoning behind that and post it. Or if someone else can answer that one.

Shop carpart.com for your engine, you can find just about anything there and maybe find a good deal. I got my 2004 EJ25 with 14K and wire harness for $1100......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Feb 22 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

If you are going to go through the trouble of doing a swap, why limit your HP? I'd do the turbo 2L. It's a DOHC motor as opposed to the Na 2.5's and it makes more reliable HP.

Only downside is not sure you can do the mid radiator.

BJH
+Quote Post
Hydra
post Feb 23 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #9

Quia nominor LEO

Member No.: 3,261

I went with an N/A 2.0l dohc engine (ej20), it's a weird enginefor the US since it was never sold on the US market, i got my engine for 200$. i'm also mating it to a suby front wheel drive tranny, which also doesn't exist in the US (75$), and a mid mounted rad setup. The engine puts out 190 bhp at the flywheel (up from 150bhp stock), with minor tweeks.
As said before if you'll be going with the 901 tranny, forget the about the turbo (or the tranny).
Nice to have another suby conversion on the forum.
Best of luck
Nick
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Feb 23 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 538

Another subie choice would be the 3.3 flat six out of the SVX (EG33). You would get the best of both worlds - reliable N/A power and close to the 250 hp that you want. Engines can be bought for under $1000. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
brer
post Feb 23 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

the four cam 2.5 is known for its head sealing problems among other things.

and the spark plugs cost $60. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

ask me how i know.
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Feb 23 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #12

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Feb 22 2006, 11:26 AM)
If you are going to go through the trouble of doing a swap, why limit your HP? I'd do the turbo 2L. It's a DOHC motor as opposed to the Na 2.5's and it makes more reliable HP.

Only downside is not sure you can do the mid radiator.

BJH

True dat!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Feb 23 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi ModPR3 My Name is Dana, I work at Renegade Hybrids and am one of the designers of the subie kit. I am sure you have seen my subie 914 around the site. bare metal, flares... anyway I have sold a lot of these kits and every one of them is getting a 2.0 turbo from a 2002 -2004 wrx. don't be scared of turbos! hooking up a turbo is just plumbing. To say that I abuse my transaxle would be an understatement and I just have a tired old 914 tranny with NOTHING done to it, my tranny is holding up just fine!. If you have any more questions regarding the subaru engine conversion or 914s in general, give me a call at 1-866-498-2421 or check out turbo914.com.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Feb 24 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE (soloracer @ Feb 23 2006, 09:22 AM)
Another subie choice would be the 3.3 flat six out of the SVX (EG33).  You would get the best of both worlds - reliable N/A power and close to the 250 hp that you want.  Engines can be bought for under $1000.  Just a thought.

Yeah, I'm toying with that one. I've been reading up on it at subaru-svx.net, and this engine is _very_ impressive. Forged crank and pistons, seven bearings. These things just don't die. And what's kinda nice (for swappers) is that the tranny in the SVX seems somewhat failure-prone. So pulled engines and parts cars are fairly easy to come by. I've found a couple in the $500 range.

I'm also curious about the EZ30, Subie's newer flat six. Its lighter and shorter front to back, but I don't know if it fits in a 914. I *think* it's abot 2" wider than an EJ25, and I gather there isn't a full 2" to spare.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 24 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Feb 23 2006, 10:19 AM)
anyway I have sold a lot of these kits and every one of them is getting a 2.0 turbo from a 2002 -2004 wrx.

can you share how many kits have been sold? 5, 10 or more??

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 24 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #16

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (soloracer @ Feb 23 2006, 08:22 AM)
Another subie choice would be the 3.3 flat six out of the SVX (EG33). You would get the best of both worlds - reliable N/A power and close to the 250 hp that you want. Engines can be bought for under $1000. Just a thought.

Curious: does anyone have specs on this engine? How much does it weigh? How different is it from the 3.0 six used in the Legacy?
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Feb 24 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 538

From another website:

"This is a 6 cylinder 3.3 liter, opposed engine, 265 lbs. bare longblock weight, 230hp from the factory"

The Subaru 3.0 six cylinder is probably a more desirable engine as I believe it is shorter in length than the EG33. However, finding a 3.0 is difficult and when you do find one they tend to be much more money. I was originally thinking that an EG33 would be a nice fit for someone who was considering a Porsche 3.2 but couldn't justify the cost of a Porsche 3.2

+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Feb 25 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 24 2006, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Feb 23 2006, 10:19 AM)
anyway I have sold a lot of these kits and every one of them is getting a 2.0 turbo from a 2002 -2004 wrx.

can you share how many kits have been sold? 5, 10 or more??

I know of one for sure (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

BJH
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:30 AM