Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door Locks, Tight as ....
evan
post Feb 22 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Little Bean

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,767

Simple question for ya all. I have a '73 teener and everytime I attempt to lock or unlock the doors with my key I feel like the damn thing will break off! Tried a silicone spray but they locks are still so stiff! Any advice?
evan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gradskater
post Feb 22 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,938
Region Association: None

I had two sticky door locks, and I just took the door panels off, carefully removed the vapor barrier, and shot some wd40 at the mechanism. I also lubed any moving part I could easily reach. Now, the door locks work like new (or at least what I assume new would feel like - my car was built 10 years before I was born)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 23 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #3

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Over the years locks can collect dirt from the wrong use of lubercants. Most locksmiths will tell you to use graphite only on a locks tumblers.

You might have to take them out and clean them to get the crud off for them to work right. I would use a light spray of lithium grease on any of the other parts (after cleaning). It will protect, lube and waterpruf the outside parts and use graphite on the tumblers only.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 23 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 23 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Mine were so hosed up with crud I had to pull the mechanism out and soak scrub soak some more before I could get them working GUD.
the tumblers "can" be taken out and cleaned But be careful because there are lots of "jesus" parts in there. Like jesus what was that and where did it go.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 23 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

It is best to put the key in the lock, take that little cam piece off the back side than pull the cylinder out of the housing. DO NOT take the key out of the cylinder once the cylinder is out of the handle housing or the jesus pieces will fall out and you'll have a puzzle on your hands trying to get them back in the right order.

Soak it to loosen the crap up.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 06:16 AM