Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ease of engine swaps, not costs, just lowest hassle
lapuwali
post Feb 23 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Maybe this has been discussed to death, but I don't remember it recently....

Not having done any of these, but just explored options, I'd place the order roughly this way, increasing order of difficulty:

1. 911
2. Subaru four
3. Chevy V8
4. Buick V6
5. Rotary
6. Anything else that already has a KEP adapter kit for the 901.
7. 928 V8
8. Anything else

The criteria are: available parts and knowledge for doing the swap, what has to be fabricated, ease of fit in the car, ease of adapting the engine to the 914 (tuning, etc). Cost not a factor...

The 911 has been done so often you can find several people who can do them in their sleep.

I score the Soob ahead of the V8 only because you can get full kits for both, but the Subraru just fits the engine bay better than the V8. Given the fact that a carb'd V8 will run just fine, however, and most Soob engines require an ECU swap, may just tip the balance in favor of the V8. Hard call there.

I *think* you can buy mounts, etc for the V6, off the shelf, but there's no complete kit available (anymore).

While the rotary has been done, more than once, I don't believe there are any off-the-shelf parts for sale to help.

If you have to pretty much do all your own engineering because there are no other completed examples, then that's going to be the hardest, though I'd expect the 928 would still beat most other things on the difficulty scale...

Comments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:31 AM