Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> this is probably a dumb question..., installing targa top seals
double-a
post Feb 24 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i'm reassembling my targa top after paint, and i have a few questions:

1. the metal strips holding the side seals are curved, why?
2. which way does the curve face, to the inside or outside of the car?
3. these strips are different at each end. one end is notched a little, with a small tab protruding. why is this, and which direction does this notch go, forward facing or rear facing?

i guess i should've taken a picture when i took it apart... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

~a
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 24 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

So you have learned that the pieces are not "A" symetrical now.

Are we talking only about the strips on the top itself or the whole car? If its the whole car, then the straight ones have the little notch that hangs down go to the inside of the car and down (towards bottom). The two that fit to the winshield are pretty easy as they have an angle to them and easily only fit on one side or another.

Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Feb 24 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #3

the pieces in question are the metal srips that screw into the left and right side of the targa top. they are curved slightly, and are different at each end. the targa top seals mount to these strips, and the side windows, when rolled up, seal against this rubber.

i'm curious as to which end goes forward. i'm also curious why they're curved when the side windows are not. that wouldn't appear to make a good seal, but what do i know.

~a
+Quote Post
mikey
post Feb 24 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 214
Region Association: None

It should be apparent which one strip goes on which side. Just line them up. They'll only fit one side.

If the channel has been dented down to hold the rubber secure (both sides of mine were) bend the dent back up so the rubber will go in easier. Get some black butyl tape at a glass store, or find a friend with a bit left over from a windshield installation, and put a thin strip along the piece before you screw it in. This prevents wind noise, I think. Also the screws are wierd little screws with flat bottoms, not pointy.

See my blog for my experience putting in the rubber seal. Let me know if you have any questions. I just installed this seal on my car recently and it's pretty fresh in my memory.

Mike
+Quote Post
double-a
post Feb 24 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #5

thanks mike, that's good info. i think i've got it now. just couldn't figure why the two ends of the metal strips are different. doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

~a
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Feb 24 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,943

Hi double-a,

I did this part of my assembly last weekend and had the same questions you do. After some time scratching my head and several installations in various orientations, I've come to this conclusion:

You have no doubt noted that the channel is cut differently at each end -- one end is cut roughly at 90 degrees, while the other end is angled at approximately 45 degrees. Orient the channel so that the angled end is at the top of the targa bar. Then, install the rubber seal similarly; that is, so that the angled end is at the top. This orientation will nicely align the angled end of the seal with the angled end of the channel. This orientation also positions the seal so that it meets the angle of the seal on the targa top, sorta like a miter joint on a picture frame.

By the way, I found a 3M product at my auto-paint supply place that is the exact match of that rubbery compound on the back of the channel. (Sorry, don't remember the product name or number off the top of my head. I can get it this evening after work.) Sorta like butyl rubber, but not nearly as sticky. It came in a string about 1/8" in diameter. $11 for a box holding way more than I'll ever use.

+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 24 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

3M stuff is called Strip Calk, 08578. Old timers like me call it dum-dum. Also used behind the metal strip which screws to the targa bar which holds the seal. All sorts of other creative uses.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Feb 24 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #8

no, no no... i'm talking about the seal and associated hardware mounted to the top itself.

~a
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:06 AM