Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust Holes !, Need Advice
dralf
post Feb 26 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,597

This morning I started to work on the car. In looking around as how best to drill out a broken bolt I started to poke at a rust spot and wow was I in for a shock ! My question to you experts is how bad is this ? I checked some pictures the PO gave me regarding repair work and it looks like AA replaced the passenger side supports & battery bracket etc which is a good thing. It all looks good. This picture of the drivers side appears to be another story. I would now know how best to proceed. How best should this be repaired and with what ?. I can weld to some degree but is this such a critical part that I should let some pros do it. And where do I get a replacement part ? I live in Dayton Ohio, any suggestions as who in the area would be the best place to take it to if I need a pro ? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 26 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

thats pretty bad...
and pretty serious.

not that it can't be fixed but just something you don't want to ignore.

that is basically the entire mount for your rear suspension..
so its possible that if you don't fix it your rear suspension could fail or fold during use and cause a wreck or roll.

it won't be a cheap easy repair either. it could potentially total your frame if you don't pay attention to getting everything square when the repair is performed... (so the car can re-align)

its going to have to be repaired with the rear suspension completely removed... probably the motor and tranny also in order to facilitate access to that area.

finally go look at the other side. usually if one side is bad the other has a chance at being similar.

brant
+Quote Post
riverman
post Feb 26 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #3

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

You can buy replacement suspension mounts or cut a good one out of a donor car. Removal of the rusted one is a real PITA. I did it by drilling out all of the spot welds (and there are a lot of them). You have to very careful to make sure the new piece gets put back exactly where the old one was or your car will be mis-aligned.

I don't think you have to drop the engine, but you will definitely need to remove the rear supension and axel from the side you are working on. It would definitely be easier to work on that piece without the motor in, though.

If the hole is not too big, you might be able to get away with a patch. Just make sure you get and kill all the rust.
+Quote Post
dralf
post Feb 26 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,597

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
I looked some more at the rust and Thank God the longs are new from the PO and at least so is the rear suspension point on the passenger side, however the more I look it appears that a pro and lots of $ will be needed.

Once again any ideas and sugestions are welcome.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:44 AM