Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cayenne Engine, Would it fit?
GeorgeRud
post Feb 26 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In the winter doldrums here in the midwest, the mind wanders. Has anyone measured to see if a Cayenne V8 would fit in the 914 engine bay without major hacking? Could it be adapted to a 915 transmission?

As more of these beasts are around, I assume you may see some engines become available from the dismantlers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 26 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Hey George......yep, pretty damn cold there...one reason my wife turned down a sweet job offer...burrrrrrrr

I have not taken a tape measure to one, but when I saw the static display motor at the Porsche Factory Museum, it sure was a big ol sucker...easiely as big or bigger than the 928 motor which is a wide, long (the problem dimension) sucker.......

+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 26 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

You couldnt pay me to work on a cayenne engine... well actually you could... and someone does.

They are piles of crap compared to a 996 engine.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 26 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 26 2006, 09:12 PM)
You couldnt pay me to work on a cayenne engine... well actually you could... and someone does.

What is specifically wrong with them? What problems have you seen?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 26 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2006, 09:18 PM)

I was working on a turbo last week. After fiddling with pieces of plastic covering the engine, my coworker pulled the plugs. I started looking at the wear and it was VERY inconsistent. One plug was a nice coffee color, another was black, some had oil residue... didnt look right.

Cayennes arent old enough to be having these problems.

I personally didnt like the powerband on the turbo too much either. I'm not used to big trucks or SUVs at ALL, but it didnt feel very fun. It does haul ass though. My boss raced a 350Z on a freeway onramp in the cayenne... loaded with an enclosed trailer filled with race equipment (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I just dont think the powerband would be right at all for a 914, not to mention the tremendous loads of torque that would turn a 901 into dust.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 26 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 26 2006, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2006, 09:18 PM)

I was working on a turbo last week. After fiddling with pieces of plastic covering the engine, my coworker pulled the plugs. I started looking at the wear and it was VERY inconsistent. One plug was a nice coffee color, another was black, some had oil residue... didnt look right.

Cayennes arent old enough to be having these problems.

I personally didnt like the powerband on the turbo too much either. I'm not used to big trucks or SUVs at ALL, but it didnt feel very fun. It does haul ass though. My boss raced a 350Z on a freeway onramp in the cayenne... loaded with an enclosed trailer filled with race equipment (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I just dont think the powerband would be right at all for a 914, not to mention the tremendous loads of torque that would turn a 901 into dust.

I've had to the chance to flog an S-pepper and a Turbo-pepper....I liked the S-pepper better for some reason....think it had to do with the power delivery as Matt mentioned....

Matt, besides the plug issue, have you seen any major recalls or engine problems associated with the hard parts???

+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Feb 27 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #7

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316

I've seen a Cayenne Turbo on the lift at the dealer with the engin pulled due to a pourus engine block casting. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 27 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 26 2006, 09:58 PM)
Matt, besides the plug issue, have you seen any major recalls or engine problems associated with the hard parts???

No other problems I've seen. The powerband is my biggest beef. We havent done too much with cayennes (especially engines... which is a good thing I guess), but the one I did work on wasnt what I'd like to see on a car with 40k miles.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Feb 27 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #9

neo life

Member No.: 159

I was seriously planning on this conversion a year ago but didn't win the wrecked Cayenne. I am told, and haven't confirmed the design is Audi with Porsche refinement. I do know their V6 is.

Almost anything can fit with enough determination and $$$$. The transmission would be the bigger problem, see pic. If truly Audi, maybe the Boxster transaxle could fit... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 27 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was wondering if a 915 box would match up, a 901 would definately not like the torque. Just daydreaming.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:53 AM