Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finding out how good a car while still miles away.
dv8tion
post Feb 27 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,633

Sorry if this isn't in quite the right forum, but I did a quick search and didn't find what i was looking for.

What I am looking to find is a 2.0 in reasonably good shape, but pictures only go so far into telling you how good a car really is. Flying around the country is probatively expensive these days so I am looking to find out if there are people on this board (or any really) who are willing to go out and have a good solid poke at a car that I (or anyone) might be interested in. Basically I would prefer to not have my first experience with a 914 to be a sucky and depressing one.

The person's time would be compensated, (as would a hit man's if you stole the car from under me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) as that would be less expensive than flying around, and or buying a car only to discover that it is ever so slightly bent in the middle.

Courtesy of the posts on here and else where, I think I have a reasonable idea of what to look for, but there are subtleties to these cars which I don't know to look for.

All I really know to look for is the 'hell box', to see if the passenger door opens and shuts easily, to look for obvious rust spots and obvious water damage, and to make sure the damn thing even starts up. None of which can be done while you are hundreds or thousands of miles away..

So, if there already is a list of people who do this sort of thing, I willy freely admit to being blind.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 27 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Tell us were the car is... Then the people local to it can respond!

I personally cant really go look at a car if its in florida... but there are many people over there.

But if it was in modesto/ceres area I could help you!

+Quote Post
dv8tion
post Feb 27 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Cool! Thank you! But before wasting anyone's time, I wanted to ask if people did that on here
Yup... I'm a n00B (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) But I'm learning.

The cars that caught my eye the most, were/are

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

Which brings up anther question: What is ebay like to source cars from?

+Quote Post
drewvw
post Feb 27 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #4

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

What's your ebay username...i'd be willing to bet I've bid against you recently!

+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 27 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Both of those cars are in the LA/OC area. Bunch of members around those areas. You should have no problem finding someone willing to do a PPI.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 27 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

im pretty sure ive done a PPI on the black car for KaptKaos.....

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 27 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Ebays a great place to find cars.. but purchase them off it...

BTW, we have a classifieds with cars in those price ranges... (or what they will go for.... 1st one im guessing will go for 8k, 2nd maybe 6-8k..

We'll tell you about them just by the pictures!
1st one looks good, nice daily.. And he already showed you pics of all the worry area's.... which really ups the ebay value.. its also in CA, so with smog, Im guessing the engine runs great...

2nd is the same (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) but its got carbs (minous..) and its an earlyer car (plus)

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 27 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for us washingtonians, the ac is a neg factor in my book. you would prob never use it even if it was operational. the install involves cutting a pretty good sized hole in the floor of the front trunk, a notch in the engine tin and engine shelve on the pass side of the engine compartment. numerous holes (1" or so in dia) are drilled in the pass side wheelwells and thru the threshold supports. the degree of the install varies from car to car. some have a clean one and others can be pretty rough. it's a pita to undo. the carb "debate" is an on going discussion. figure your budget and spend a bit more for as nice a car as you can afford. ask the sellers of both of those cars to give you the paint code that is located on the front of the driverside door jam. are you in a big hurry? that's what ususally gets people in trouble on the first 914 they buy.

k
+Quote Post
kconway
post Feb 27 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,231

I've seen the red one on eBay several times before. Auction ended the first time without the reserve being met and bidding was above $10K. Second time it sold but apparently the buyer couldn't close the deal.

Just in case you were wondering what the reserve might be...
+Quote Post
dv8tion
post Feb 27 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #10

I'm in no hurry to buy one. I am just trying to find out as much about them, parts, people around them etc etc... Any and all information you guys are giving me is greatly appreciated. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

My first rule of buying a car is: does it make you smile?

I need to smile before i even consider anything..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:47 PM