Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More help from the "Left Coast", 914 Lessons from Leo Imperial
rmital
post Feb 28 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Northeast optimist

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,268

...well, actually...I guess Leo's a East Coaster now. Either way, Leo stopped over last night and utilizing the information posted by brant and Bruce Allert he got me and my 914 on track.

In an earlier thread, I posted my '73 1.7L 914 was losing power once warmed up.

Information from website:
Sympton - Engine bogs from idle (poor idle to part-load transition), or idle drops down well below 1000 rpm after the car is fully warmed up or is hot from running hard

Solution - Check that timing is set to spec. Set the CO level to factory specs by using a quality gas analyzer. If a gas analyzer is not available, use the "trial-and-error" method of adjusting the ECU knob one click counter-clockwise at a time, re-adjust the air bleed screw to set the idle and repeat if necessary. Usually, if the idle is too rich, the idle speed is very responsive to adjustments to the air bleed screw.

Adjustments were made, we got in the car and drove off. After a few miles, Leo suggested we pull into a gas station to wash windshield and take a look at the car in the light. He then asked if he could take over the driver's seat. I figured it's a good time to get an opinion on the how the car performs from a true 914 owner. We pulled out of the station, onto a county road and we were on our way...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

Lucky for us, when the police pulled us over we were still in my home town. Now I didn't think we were driving that fast (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) ...but no matter the out come, I was just thrilled how the car was driving.

Not showing any guilt....or information on the car (registration or insurance), the excellent police officer let us go with a warning. Must have been Leo's honest face....

Leo let me drive again, and pointed out that I was not driving the car hard enough...or getting the rpms to where they should be. After reajusting my driving behaviors, the car seems to be running great!

I did pull over halfway home and let Leo drive again. No light in the speedometer, but I'm sure we were well over 80+mph....again, the car drove great.

Hopefully problem solved.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 28 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

dude, those 1.7 engines really REALLY like to rev. I guess they all do (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

seriously. It loves to be going 4500 doing like 75...

b
+Quote Post
Leo Imperial
post Feb 28 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Member No.: 3,192
Region Association: None

Diagnosis:

Lack of lead in the foot. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
The car drives great and wants to be driven.
Only issue is to repair the driver side long. The car has some flex.
Another 914 has been saved (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 28 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How are the brakes?
+Quote Post
rmital
post Feb 28 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

Leo gave them his approval....he didn't hold back driving last night.

I'm sure I'll revisit bleeding them in a few weeks once I get thru most of the body work.
+Quote Post
Leo Imperial
post Feb 28 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Member No.: 3,192
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2006, 12:07 PM)
How are the brakes?

One pump brings the pedal all the way up.
More than enough brake to stop the car.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:26 PM