Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914 Tow Bar Brackets, Flat tow that teener
reddog
post Apr 18 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,299

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Apr 5 2006, 08:00 PM) *

The tow bar fits into my plans for short range towing while I get the car fixed up, converted, emergency events, and PCA/914 Club events. I have a 16ft. open trailer for long hauls to Oregon, Wash., etc. This bar fits my needs perfectly. If someone breaks down and has to be towed, it can be lent out with very little change over. I really like the versitility and it meets many functions.

Reddog,

I see you are a "newbie" to the board. Welcome and you will really enjoy all aspects of it. The people are really great. I see you are from Willits, CA. I was born there and did alot of competitive track and basketball there. I went to high school in Kelseyville (LakeCo.)

I know you will like the towing adaptor.

Steve Hurt

Thanks Steve, just saw your welcome...I have 62 acres near Hearst, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) I'll PM later... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 4 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #42

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

As soon as I finish eating my tacos I'll be test fitting David's bar to the zambeziteen. I will be using this setup to get the car to WCC06 with my new/used Nissan Titan. Pics to follow. Stay tuned!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 4 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #43

Mike Ginter

Gawdamit...

That wasn't much fun. It's pretty hot in my south facing garage with only the overhead door. Maybe my tub is crooked, although it tracks straight as an arrow down the highway, but I had to clearance the inside of the outer tabs AND clearance the bolt holes a bit. It still fits pretty tight, but it's on there. Now I get to go take it off and put the valance back on. I have another 914 (I bought back my first 914 last week) in a dirt storage lot. I'm planning on using this bracket to haul it out of there. I'll snap a few pics and post them later.

Back to the salt mines...
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jun 4 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #44

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 4 2006, 03:33 PM) *

Gawdamit...

That wasn't much fun. It's pretty hot in my south facing garage with only the overhead door. Maybe my tub is crooked, although it tracks straight as an arrow down the highway, but I had to clearance the inside of the outer tabs AND clearance the bolt holes a bit. It still fits pretty tight, but it's on there. Now I get to go take it off and put the valance back on. I have another 914 (I bought back my first 914 last week) in a dirt storage lot. I'm planning on using this bracket to haul it out of there. I'll snap a few pics and post them later.

Back to the salt mines...

Did you get one of the early ones....

Mine was the prototype for super beetle bar and I had to clearance mine a bit also..
I contacted David and he said he was going to open up the holes or slot them a bit to allow for chassis differences on any subsequent brackets.

You will like the way it works....I have used mine to tow over 700 miles now with absolutely ZERO problems of any kind....
very sturdy and actually stiffens the front of the car.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 4 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #45

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 4 2006, 06:00 PM) *
Did you get one of the early ones....

Mine was the prototype for super beetle bar and I had to clearance mine a bit also..
I contacted David and he said he was going to open up the holes or slot them a bit to allow for chassis differences on any subsequent brackets.

You will like the way it works....I have used mine to tow over 700 miles now with absolutely ZERO problems of any kind....
very sturdy and actually stiffens the front of the car.

Probably. I ordered the first day or two.

Don't misunderstand me; it's a beautiful piece. Thanks David for producing these! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) I couldn't have created something this nice and I intend to use it a great deal. It looks like it's gonna do a great job.

It was just a royal PITA getting it mounted to this car. But better to test fit here in my garage than in a dirt storage lot. Good thing it wasn't 95+ again today like it was yesterday.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jun 4 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #46

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

Yes, it is a very nice piece. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I was planning on making something similar to the brackets with Davids tow eye base plates...after emailing and PMing back and forth David came up with this basic design and I gave him some input on what I was going to do....this is what he came up with.
I am towing to Sears point from south San Jose tomorrow for a track day...
This will be an easy tow...
Up and out of the house by 4:30am tomorrow. Car is ready to go just have to hook up the bar to car and Suburban and off we go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jun 9 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #47

V8Lurker

Member No.: 327

The latest versions all have the larger mounting holes to allow for variances in our hand built cars. Gint....I am sorry that you had to sweat it out with one of the first versions. They now all have 9/16" mounting holes and that seems to have done the trick on all but Garys car and I am convinced that his car in unique. His first bar didn't fit, so I sent another (with 9/16" holes) and it was still not right. The first bar came back and fit both of the cars in my garage and it has since been sold to another owner and fit his car properly.

Thanks to all for the support. There are a lot of new items on the horizon. Now the website is up I can start to focus on production of the new goods. Powdercoating of all items is also just around the corner. This will really improve the service life and appearance without an adjustment in price.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 9 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #48

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I guess Ill chime in I had a similar experiance guys, I just chalked it
up to variances in the tub but I had to clearance both the outside
mount holes and jack around with it for a good while to get it on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
One trick you might pass on is to jack up the car and unload both
arms via jackstants on the front donuts before removeing & replcing the mounting bolts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Wild 6
post Jun 23 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #49

See you at the next autocross.

Member No.: 3,128

I want to buy a two bar. Please contat me.

Andy
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 24 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #50

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

send him a PM instead of having him contact you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

rennenmetal.com too
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 24 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #51

Mike Ginter

I took a 9/16 drill bit to mine today. Cheap POS H.F. chinese bit drilled the first 3 holes pretty well, but the next 3 became a real challenge. A unibit finally finished it off though. Acid test will be next Saturday. I need to haul another 914 from storage to the house.
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jun 25 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #52

V8Lurker

I was on a cruise this week and left the laptop at home, but all emails have now been returned and are up to date. thanks guys....David Lee

+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 4 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #53

Mike Ginter

Those 9/16" holes made all the difference. Bolted right up this time. I did add some flat washers since the ID of the lock washers was just a little close with the 9/16" holes. Looks good! Trial fit yesterday went well. Now that everything is all fitted up, I could take this bar and mount it to a 914 and hook everything and be ready to tow from scratch in 30 minutes if I was in a rush.

Pics later...
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 22 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #54

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

David,

Just paypaled you for my empi style bar with tabs for tow chain.

Thanks,

Jim
+Quote Post
JimSar
post Aug 25 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #55

Fill 'er up

Member No.: 6,527
Region Association: Northern California

This is exactly what the Dr. ordered! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm converting my '75 to an electric vehicle, and designed it to give up range for speed and acceleration. (It's a 914, afterall).

This will allow me to tow it to EVents held beyond it's 50-60 mile range. And during the building phase, I can also tow it to a shop if I need to.

Wow, local VW performance type stores want more than $100 for the EMPI 3131-7. I can order one from Nevada for $57, no tax, but still waiting for a quote on shipping.

I'll PM David with a firm order as soon as I'm sure which tow bar I'll be using.

Jim
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Sep 1 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #56

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

Got the bar last week and tried it out yesterday.

Bolted up fine. (The front bolt spacer was a little long for me for some reason - I cut it down). Other than, fits great!

Towed to the shop to get some work done. Less then 10min on/off.

Works great! Thanks for making these!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Sep 4 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #57

V8Lurker

Thanks for the support guys! I have more 914 products in the works. The owner of a tail dragger even twisted my arm so I would make a tow bar bracket for 911s. After a few more weeks of beta testing on a local car, those will be available on my site.

I've experimented a bit with a tow hitch for 914s for a small autocross trailer, but I am not yet happy with the design as it passes around the stock muffler. It is no issue with my V8 cars, but I have to consider that the majority of 914 owners still have the four......

Thanks again.....and please spread the word. David Lee
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 24 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #58

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

just returned from a round trip from VA -to des moines IA - and back to VA with 1975 914 attached to my 1989 van using David's empi tow bar mount - mounted fast and worked perfectly - every car should have one : )

thanks,

David

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Sep 24 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #59

V8Lurker

Thanks for the plug Jim. I am glad to hear that you had an easy tow home. Great find with that 914! Nice condition......
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The tow vehicle with the fisheye window really completes the '70s look!

David Lee
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Oct 1 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #60

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

Just wanted to add my comments that it is an excellent product and that it bolted it up fine. I had a little trouble and thought my frame was out of whack, but after jockeying around the front of the torsion bars, it bolted it up fine. I have the Special Edition spoiler, so I did not have to cut or remove it for the installation. David even refunded an overpayment I did on Paypal. David, thanks you for an excellent product. My super Beetle bar I got mated up perfectly!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:41 AM