Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jake is coming to California! May 28!, Georgia To Sacramento via TIV 2270!
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

This is cross posted from my forum...

OK, everything is looking really good for the "MassIVe" cross country drive to the Sacramento Bug O Rama and now it's time to start planning the best and most effective route for the trip. The Bluebonic Plague will be sporting the Hot VW's build up engine for it's trip from coast to coast to add a little spice to the build up story and to give Hot VWs more data than they'll ever be able to use!

The easiest way for me to go (and the way I'm familiar with) would be just running I 40 the whole way to California, then jumping on the 5 freeway...

But that route is too boring and too flat! I want to put this engine through it's paces as best I can and throw as much load at it as possible, so a trek through the mountains mixed with some high speed driving would be best for sure... So I'm thinking about intersecting with I-80 somewhere and then taking it through Wyoming and utah and coming right into Sacramento (Is the speed limit still 75 MPH in Wyoming, if so that would be a great place to cruise 85-90 all day long and gather tons of data!). This should blend a great mix of weather conditions as well as terrain to travel through and all that is important since I will be data logging the entire trip and uploading the information for all to see. This will prove what the TIV has to offer in so man y ways that it's unending!

So... who along the way wants to meet me and see the car/engine?? If we plan this right I can make "pit stops" across the country. The route is currently 100% open so if anyone wants to meet with me speak up!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Mar 5 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #2

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jake the speed limits in wyoming and utah are 75, same with nevada. Sounds like a great trip. Be great to meet you and see the car, if you decide to make a stop in Salt Lake City let me know and we'll hook up and I'll treat you to a lunch or dinner.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 5 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Uh Oh...
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Mar 5 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #4

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

7000 to 8000 ft elevation thru wyoming will test your motor at those speeds. Have fun

Bernie
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 5 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

It's gonna be an awesome trip. I'll be at the Bug-O-Rama myself. Anyone else want to come and represent 914s? I'll contact the Bug-O-Rama people about getting some space if there is any interest.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 5 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

I'm gonna see if I can make it...

Sounds fun.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

The entire trip is about "Testing the engine".... Thats why we'll be datalogging all 4 CHT, all 4 EGT, TQ, HP, G forces MPG, AFR and speed through the Dl-1. There are many more parameters that will be getting logged as well but I have to see just how many inputs we can run in the car. The datalogger is awesome and uses a GPS to log vehicle position as well as the speed.

We are attaching a video camera to the DL-1 next weekend to show in car shots so when we upload information to the net you guys can download it and wee what we saw as the driver and passenger as well as all the data about the engine at that given moment, and view it on the track map.

I'm trying my best to talk "dstar" from the STF into going with me and being the techno geek while I drive. We'll have two wireless laptops in the car attached to the DL-1 so we can extract data and upload it when we have a wireless signal. This will also allow pics to be uploaded on the fly as well for hourly updates to the net!

I have removed the passenger seat of the Bug and fabricated a workstation that slides onto the original seat tracks. This allows the passenger to sit in the back seat, have plenty of leg room and keep the logger going as well as working on the net- it's a trick set up that I'll be using the first time next weekend at the SE Dyno Day and the Silver Dollar showdown drag race event.

I will be finalizing my route the end of this week and will then create a test outline that will cover what we want to test on the way. This will include various velocity stacks, a couple of different mufflers and a bunch of other small items that we can carry with us and swap in rest areas and the like on the way.

Ultimately- this is the engine I built for Hot VWs and their Type 4 engine build up that will begin in May (June issue) Since the show is in May the editor of the story will still have time to include all the data summarys that we come up with after the trip, so this will be an ultimate, multi-faceted article full of information that they normally cannot publish, because they don't have it!

I have already dynoed this engine when we finished it while Hot VWs was here in February... Next weekend I'll get rear wheel HP and TQ numbers with the exact same settings we left the engine with on my dyno. The next day we'll get 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag times as well as 0-60 times from the Dl-1 and then it'll all be topped off by the trip across country just as fast as we can get there!

This is how much I believe in the TIV 2270 engine that I create.

See ya'll there!

BTW- Mark, see about that spot- I'll pay for it.

Oh yeah- Next year I plan on the same trip,same route, to the same show, logging all the same info but with an engine producing 115 more HP.... Having this comparative data will shut mouths forever.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Mar 5 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

I may go down. I'm trying to see if I can arrange for Gerry and I to do a road trip. Where's a Big Gulp smilie

Dave
+Quote Post
d914
post Mar 5 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

I'll buy breakfast as ya leave...other wise I'm too close and boring!!!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Here is a screen shot of what the logger's track map looks like and a few other little things...

One of my customers, Bill K from the STF built this baby for me and while it wasn't cheap to build it damn sure was worth it!

(IMG:http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2/Products/Software/ScreenShotV6.gif)

(IMG:http://www.vwbughead.com/logger/RATLogger14_resize.JPG)

Hell I just noticed that the track map looks just like Mid Ohio! Key hole and all!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 5 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

I just emailed the people about getting a corral for 10-15 914s. We'll see what they say.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 5 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #12

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Jake - take HWY 50 from Utah directly to Sacramento.

You won't be dissapointed! It is a famous "lonely road" w/o service for long stretches, it has awesome scenery and historic sites, and some real curvy mountain sections in NV then again in CA. There is this big tree in NV by the side of the road, the biggest one for about 100 miles, that people have been throwing shoes into for at least 30 yrs, they dangle like hunddreds of Xmas ornaments. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

If you think you've got a reliable engine go for it! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 5 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Sounds very cool. Best of luck and I'm looking forward to tracking your progress. I'm sure you will prove that the T4 is a reliable street engine.

I made similar trip in my T4 powered 914. I had extended sections at 90 MPH + at high altitude and temps of 85 degrees with no problems.

+Quote Post
scottb
post Mar 5 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #14

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

I-70 east out of denver in to utah.... you will get a test on that stretch. and don't go through eisenhower tunnel. take loveland pass and get to 11,990 feet if the web is to be believed....

and a very scenic drive as well.

cheers.........
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Mar 5 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #15

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

See you at this end.
+Quote Post
erikstoll
post Mar 5 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #16

Just Another Roadside Attraction

From: Reno, Nevada, USA - The Biggest Little City In The World
Member No.: 5,210

QUOTE (StratPlayer @ Mar 5 2006, 09:19 AM)
Jake the speed limits in wyoming and utah are 75, same with nevada. Sounds like a great trip. Be great to meet you and see the car, if you decide to make a stop in Salt Lake City let me know and we'll hook up and I'll treat you to a lunch or dinner.

but you can go 85 and the NHP dont care. Also... speed limits through the salt flats i believ are 85
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

SWEET!
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Mar 5 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #18

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The speed limit to the nevada state line is 75, but no one goes that speed everyone goes faster.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

I'd love to be able to sustain 90 MPH for a solid two hours average.... The main group I'm doing this for is the TI guys and a TI engine will NOT run 90 MPH for two solid hours+

The data logger won't lie...
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 5 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #20

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219

so is there gonna be a 2.4 six vs 2270 /4 shootout? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:07 PM