Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Jake is coming to California! May 28!, Georgia To Sacramento via TIV 2270!
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

This is cross posted from my forum...

OK, everything is looking really good for the "MassIVe" cross country drive to the Sacramento Bug O Rama and now it's time to start planning the best and most effective route for the trip. The Bluebonic Plague will be sporting the Hot VW's build up engine for it's trip from coast to coast to add a little spice to the build up story and to give Hot VWs more data than they'll ever be able to use!

The easiest way for me to go (and the way I'm familiar with) would be just running I 40 the whole way to California, then jumping on the 5 freeway...

But that route is too boring and too flat! I want to put this engine through it's paces as best I can and throw as much load at it as possible, so a trek through the mountains mixed with some high speed driving would be best for sure... So I'm thinking about intersecting with I-80 somewhere and then taking it through Wyoming and utah and coming right into Sacramento (Is the speed limit still 75 MPH in Wyoming, if so that would be a great place to cruise 85-90 all day long and gather tons of data!). This should blend a great mix of weather conditions as well as terrain to travel through and all that is important since I will be data logging the entire trip and uploading the information for all to see. This will prove what the TIV has to offer in so man y ways that it's unending!

So... who along the way wants to meet me and see the car/engine?? If we plan this right I can make "pit stops" across the country. The route is currently 100% open so if anyone wants to meet with me speak up!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

I'm game....
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Mar 5 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #22

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

Jake,

I think you should map your trip thru Cali to maximize your In & Out burger stops. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chowtime.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burger.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burger.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burger.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Yeah.. I haven't had a single Inn-N-out burger in TEN years!
+Quote Post
pek771
post Mar 5 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5,175
Region Association: None

If I'd known aircooled heaven is in GA, I'd have stopped by to check it out on my last trip there.

Run it throught the southern Arizona desert if you want a good test, although I suspect it will make it just fine.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 5 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #25

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

come to SoCal - we'll throw a BBQ or a dinner together (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE (pek771 @ Mar 5 2006, 03:23 PM)
If I'd known aircooled heaven is in GA, I'd have stopped by to check it out on my last trip there.

Nope...

Getting into "Aircooled Heaven" is just about as difficult as going to see the man upstairs in person...

We work behind closed gates and closed doors....No time for tours around here!

Here is what a journalist from "The Porsche Post" magazine in Great Britain said about the shop..

(IMG:http://www.lnengineering.com/Racing/porschepostoct05cover-small.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.lnengineering.com/Racing/porschepostpg52-small.jpg)
The rest of the article is on LN Engineering's site at this link
Porsche Post RAT Story
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 5 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #27

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (pek771 @ Mar 5 2006, 03:23 PM)

Run it throught the southern Arizona desert if you want a good test, although I suspect it will make it just fine.

While the AZ and California desert in late May would be an extreme test at speed, I dont think driving a non-aircondition car through that heat would be enjoyable. High altitude testing would be far more enjoyable with better chance of the car surviving.

Bugorama looks fun. So is there going to be a big bore T1 against Raby T4 drag race? I wonder who is faster?

http://www.bugorama.com/
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

I'm sure the TI would be faster in the 1/4 mile- I don't concentrate on that aspect in any of my engine combinations as a primary goal. My point with the trip is simply to prove that one can make a 2500 mile trip with a sub 170 HP engine and compete with the same engine on both ends all while not having to perform any scheduled or unscheduled maintenance. The Type 1 CANNOT do this and since all my emphesis is now on the VW market this data will be very valuable. Of course a 170 HP TI could probably make it across country, but it certainly could not do it at the speeds we plan on driving.

I WILL be dragging the car at the BOR to compare temps and data with what I'll be gathering this coming weekend with the same set up here in Georgia at the Silver Dollar Showdown.

Thats one whole aspect of this trip... Gather data on the beginning end, drive 2600+ miles as fast as we can get there all while gathering data, drag race while gathering data...... I want to see how the engine responds to various climates and differences in elevation with power and with temps...

The car WILL be air conditioned...... I sell the entire arrangement to run A/c in a Vintage Beetle using my engine and my DTM- it all bolts right on..

The route I'm putting together has a great mix of all climates with twists and turns, high and low altitudes and straight line driving as well.

I chose to do this trip to the BOR simply due to its location, my high concentration of conversion customers in the area, the time of year the show is being held AND the fact that I could drag race the car at the event.

It'll damn near be impossible for anyone to top this trip and impossible for next years trip to be topped with a 280HP beast in the same car! The guys at Hot VWs think I'm insane, but bthey love the fact that we'll have so much data for their killer story!
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 5 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 4,634

I will see you when you get to Sacramento, you I would like to meet, being a legend and all. Maybe I can get the wife to make some ribs, I could tell you how she makes them, but then she would have to kill both of us. Probably be some of the SBO crowd there too, I always seem to run across someone at that thing whenever I go.

If you go through NM/UT, north and west of Albuquerque there is a sweet road that goes near 4 corners sort of obliquely toward SLC through some of the prettiest mountains you will ever see. I can direct you to some of the most scenic roads you can imagine depending on if you plan to go through Yosemite, North or South of Lake Tahoe, that sort of thing. There are some nice back roads I used to take From Baytown, Texas to Conroe via 105 that pretty much makes you miss Houston completely, which is a good thing if you are driving. I imagine there are plenty of fellas could tell you ways to avoid traffic in their neck of the woods.
+Quote Post
stsmytherie
post Mar 5 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 5,086

RE: your route.

I'd head toward Denver first. There's no direct way from GA to Denver, so you're more likely to hit some non-interstates.

From Denver, second the suggestion of taking I-70 to SLC. Way more interesting route than I-80, IMHO. But if the weather looks iffy, you can always take 80 as a backup.

If you have the time and want more curvy roads, don't do SLC > Reno > Sacto via I-80. Instead, do Carson City > South Lake Tahoe > Sacto via 50. It's more funner.
+Quote Post
scottb
post Mar 5 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #31

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

hey jake,

do those who chose the $5k engine route get admission to the compound if they (and the engine) are in the area? will have (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) , a some of my (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/jsharp.gif) and some rounds for my own (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/gunner.gif) .......

and go over loveland pass. you may well be at 80F in denver with 20F and blizzard conditions over the pass.... that there is good fun!

scott
+Quote Post
erikstoll
post Mar 5 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #32

Just Another Roadside Attraction

From: Reno, Nevada, USA - The Biggest Little City In The World
Member No.: 5,210

QUOTE (StratPlayer @ Mar 5 2006, 12:35 PM)
The speed limit to the nevada state line is 75, but no one goes that speed everyone goes faster.

odd, signs when i was going from Wendover to SLC were 85mph though the flats =\
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 5 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #33

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 5 2006, 03:55 PM)
It'll damn near be impossible for anyone to top this trip and impossible for next years trip to be topped with a 280HP beast in the same car! The guys at Hot VWs think I'm insane, but they love the fact that we'll have so much data for their killer story!

The guys at hot VW's must not know much about T4s? I didnt do a thing to my T4 and it went 2500 miles cross country without any maitenance or repairs and then spent a full weekend at Streets of Willow a week after that trip. T4's are tough little engines as long as they dont get too hot. I would think your engines would be even more robust given greater cooling effecincies of the cylinders you use.

Probably a good thing your taking Northern route regardless of AC. Its aircooled hell in the AZ desert during that time of the year.
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Mar 5 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #34

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

I'm hoping to come up to Sac. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Mar 5 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #35

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 5 2006, 05:24 PM)
Probably a good thing your taking Northern route regardless of AC.  Its aircooled hell in the AZ desert during that time of the year.

Wussie!

It is not real hot here in May, it is just getting started by then.

Hey Jake, you could stop by here and help me clean the oil spots off of my driveway!

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)

P.S. "All race cars leak oil."
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #36

Engine Surgeon

The engine is comprised of all off the shelf components. The guys at Hot VWs wanted something covered that could be built by a reader, easily for less than an arm and a leg, so we used a 2270 kit and went with it. The only thing "Special" about this engine is it's the first non prototype using our "New Generation" heads... The results were stunning!

BTW- I do plan on running 50 instead of I80 when I get to that point..

I'm getting a ton of emails from guys that are interested in TIV power, so I'm doing my best to make a route that will get the conversion out to the guys that want to see it the most.

We are making a page on the site to go over the entire trip and the final route. The page will go over the every aspect of the car and the engine and thats where we'll upload pics, data logs and etc during the trip.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 5 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #37

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well we got a track day May 12th at No Problem Raceway Louisianna Just north of New Orleans 40 miles or so. Private day 1.8 mile road course We can always squeeze in another car if you want to play.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 5 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #38

Engine Surgeon

The Bug has a swing axle rear, and it don't take kindly to serious cornering...
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 5 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #39

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yea well the offer stands. Most of the guys are riced out hondas with lambo doors and street tires. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) I image you could scare the piss out of them as you pulled away going down the straight.
They would all be getting a tune up the next day while scratching thier ass as to how they were getting thier doors blow off by a bug!
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 6 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #40

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

if you come by KY lemme know i'll treat for lunch or something.

b
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:06 PM