Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mueller's 1st How-To Series :) (Type IV), Air injection Ports...how to plug 'em
Mueller
post Jul 12 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Tom,

So how have those bolt's held up to the task at hand?

What did you use to help minimize the bolts backing out?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Jul 12 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #42

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Jeez, this is an old thread. Man...Mueller, you must have been bored to dig this one up.

-Britain
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Jul 12 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,700

Thanx fellas,

This site rocks! I'm having the same problem in my "missing bolt" thread. As usual, 914club is the shit!

fat lando
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 12 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #44

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

Hey! I recognize those pipe caps and ball bearings!!

(I bought Mueller's engine......)

All seemed tight when I pulled them off. The bronze/brass caps are a nice touch because they won't seize on the steel, no matter how long they are left. The ball bearings surprised me when they dropped out....

anyhow, I discovered my "1976" 914 was actually built in 10/75, so I believe I can file for a smog exemption....
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Jul 12 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #45

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

Huh...

This EXACT problem ruined me from driving my lovely new bride away from the church at our wedding.

I have 1.8L Bus heads on my 2270. I had the air injection holes welded up when I had them ported. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Apparently, one of the welds wasnt' that good. The morning of the wedding day, I went to fire the car up and the first time it caught I heard a loud boom and then "Bam bam bam bam" on one cylinder. I thought for sure I had overheated the motor on the drive up to my future in-laws and it stretched the studs... Once it cooled there was no more seal.

So, I had to use my parents Acura TL. Boohoo.

After the honeymoon, I pulled the motor and tore it down - found the problem but never found the weld bugger.

I just threaded a 10x1.0x50 bolt into it and called it a day. Car hasn't run since. Bastard.

Tom
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 13 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #46

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 12 2005, 10:42 AM)
anyhow, I discovered my "1976" 914 was actually built in 10/75, so I believe I can file for a smog exemption....

Brian,

Hate to rain on your parade, but I think this came up in an earlier thread and the end result is you're stuck with the '76 designation. Maybe my memory is wrong and someone else can clarify. There is a thread somewhere in the archives. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

BTW, I had a set of air injection nozzles brazed shut and used them to plug the exhaust ports with no problem.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 13 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #47

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

100% of the "1976" 914s were made in 1975. They were just selling leftover inventory. The '76 smog rules were the same as the '75 (NOT the same as '74), so it worked for them at the time. Unfortunately, it really hurts '76 914 and 912E owners in California, though.

Generally speaking, the year on the title is the ONLY thing the DMV looks at or cares about. It may be possible to convince them it's really a '75, and get the title changed. I've heard of this being done (I once had a '74 Alfa that had been re-titled as a '73, back when '73 and older cars were smog exempt, but '74 still required it), but I have no idea what the procedure is, or who's palms you'd have to grease to make it happen.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:27 AM