Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cable shift set-up DONE!, How I did it & lived to tell about it.
rick 918-S
post Mar 7 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #21

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I heard ya! I have to maintain a perfect driving record to keep my job. Oh well I'll miss this job... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) NOT! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nocones
post Mar 7 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #22

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

It's been said but, ...
Very nice!
Again, the splined shaft is simple and smart, I love it.
Since I'm still brainstorming on a better solution than my current mechanical linkage
this is great food for thought.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 8 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 7 2006, 09:52 AM)

At the rear, I decided to try something different. I machined a 6" splined section of a drive shaft to slide onto the shift shaft. I secured it with a set screw. I fabricated the side to side collar out of the female splined hub. Note, I made slots on the lever arm for infinite adjustibility. I did the same up front. I fabbed up a "cage" to keep the side to side collar in place when the shift shaft is selected fore/aft.

You are a clever man! I have been racking my puny brain trying to come up with this - thank you. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats on your clever design!

Very nice indeed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
andys
post Mar 8 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Yeah, Bill's design is clever and well done. I like the Mitsu shifter; it's all metal construction is an advantage when making modifications. Now please take that exposed spline section and put a couple of bellows over it to keep the grit out. Motorcycle fork bellows may work. Otherwise, it'll get sluggish or even lock up.

Andys
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Mar 8 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #26

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Very nice. Could you please show a picture of the shifter from the driver's side. I'd like to do a better shifter for my side shifter one day...
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 8 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

hmmm...didn't draw anything...just wondered using this concept with the splined shaft and adding some bracing etc... if you couldn't use the existing (although slightly modified) shift rod mechanism. You get the forward and backward movement and the twisting..and with a secured shaft on the end tied to that somehow?
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Mar 8 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 623

Hey Jim,

As I said in my 1st post...I don't, by any means, claim that my design is the last word in cable shifting. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) One of the reasons I made this post was to get feedback on how my design could be improved so all of us can learn something together. I like your idea. Maybe draw something up and post it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

As far as a rubber boot for protection...that is a must and will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Just haven't got that far yet. I like the motorcycle rubber fork boot idea...hmmm...looks like I know where to start rummaging now thanks to another great idea from you guys.

One pic of the driver's side shifter...coming right up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 8 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #29

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 7 2006, 04:58 PM)
looks nice....so what brand are the cables?

McMaster-Carr. You can get the part#s for the one's I used from my website on the cable shifter link.

BTW, how did the lengths work out? Were they the same as mine or different?
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Mar 9 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 623

Hey Tim,

I used a 84" and a 96 " to get er done.

Bill
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 9 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 8 2006, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 7 2006, 04:58 PM)
looks nice....so what brand are the cables?

McMaster-Carr. You can get the part#s for the one's I used from my website on the cable shifter link.

BTW, how did the lengths work out? Were they the same as mine or different?

McMaster-Carr is not a brand, just a distributor....I buy quite a few parts from them such as the ballscrews and leadnuts which are a Thompson product....figured the cables might have a the brand/manufacture data on it for future referance....by the way, for many items sold by M/C, they can custom order specific sizes/lengths that are not listed in the catalog......

+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Mar 9 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 4,653

Sounds like a motorcycle fork boot would work just right in this situation. But just in case somebody is looking to do some custom work......

A co-worker of mine just finished making a custom rubber seal with a product called Flexane 80, which he bought from Grainger. It's a two-part liquid compound, and mixes up to a consistency of hot tar. In the (crappy) picture, you can see a wooden mold that was turned on a lathe - this defines the outer surface of the part. Inside the mold, suspended by an axial metal rod is a smaller football-shaped mold to define an inner surface of the finished part. The mixed liquid is poured in and takes about 24 hours to set up. Then the outer mold is split, the part is sliced w/ a razor blade, and the inner mold is removed. The finished part, which doesn't show up at all, is in the foreground. There's a little chip of wood holding open the razor slit, and a slight reflection coming off the inner surface. This particular piece is to make a waterproof seal for a splice in a heavy underwater cable. The razor slit part gets glued up when its ready. Anyway, the Flexane 80 product cures to a firm but pliable consistency - kind of like a car tire. I think they have a softer grade as well. Oh, and an added bonus - no smell at all ! IIRC, the price for a pint (?) can of the stuff was around $35. Not cheap, but for a one-off custom piece it seems reasonable.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 9 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 3,782

I had an idea to use an electric solenoid to switch/turn the shift rod. I haven't acted on the idea but may soon. My feeling is to have one cable. To affix the solenoid to the movement of the cable. The shifting would be a bit different and need a switch on the shifter but I am still going over designs. .. Nice work! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 9 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (drive-ability @ Mar 9 2006, 03:57 PM)
I had an idea to use an electric solenoid to switch/turn the shift rod. I haven't acted on the idea but may soon. My feeling is to have one cable. To affix the solenoid to the movement of the cable. The shifting would be a bit different and need a switch on the shifter but I am still going over designs. .. Nice work! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

sorta how the BMW and Ferrari paddle shifters work...of course thiers are pretty damn complicated, but I'm sure a "simple" method could be figured out....
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Mar 9 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,653

FWIW, I came across this web site that describes a replacement for the Mitsubishi cable shifter. Although the product looks like its NLA, I thought the pictures and description were interesting. Clearest pics I've come across to show how the shifter works. Could be a fun "learn to weld" project ???

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 01:27 PM