Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Race car tow vehicle - my pickup, Best solution for covering PU bed
Randal
post Mar 10 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Looking for member's opinions on the different covers for pickup beds; given that I'll be taking this truck to the track and would like security for overnight parking at motels.

If you like yours post a picture! Thanks.

Options:

1. Complete cover that lifts up and is held up with gas shocks

2. Vinyl cover that folds towards the front to access the PU bed

3. Vinal cover that is stretched over a frame

4. ?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pistachio
post Mar 10 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,684

Half Shell
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 10 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Complete locked fiberglass cover is the most secure.

I dont like the way they restrict you from really using the bed...if you want to carry a bed or something largs, you have to remove the cover and store it...no good IMHO.

Now, given that...the best system I have seen is a roll up aluminum truck bed covers.

truck bed cover

These offer protection, security, and you can still use the truck, as a truck when needed.

Rich
+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 10 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Randal,
It all depends on what you plan on hauling to the track in the truck bed.
If it is bulky and may stick up higher than the bed rail then I would go with a cab high fiberglass shell.
If not then I would use a fiberglass cover that has more security and can be locked.
I have had a cab high shell and a vinyl tonneau. If I had a pickup again I would go for the fiberglass tonneau that is held up by gas struts. Several of the TTers have this set up for their tow vehicles.
Currently have a buddy that has a vinyl cover stretched over an aluminum frame. Very nice but if you plan on keeping valuables in the truck bed overnight I would opt for something more substantial than vinyl. He has an enclosed trailer so he keeps all the goodies in there not the truck bed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 10 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Half Shell

Is that like a complete cover that matches the roof line of the pickup?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 10 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE]If I had a pickup again I would go for the fiberglass tonneau that is held up by gas struts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dan.

But what is the advantage of the tonneau that folds up, as compared to the one that is held up by the gas struts?
+Quote Post
Pistachio
post Mar 10 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Randal @ Mar 10 2006, 10:07 AM)
Half Shell

Is that like a complete cover that matches the roof line of the pickup?

yeah. I guess some people call 'em cab tops or caps as well.

I had a fiberglass tonneau once upon a time on a fullsize GMC. You know the kind that hinges at the front of the bed & raises up on gas struts. I thought it was a real PIA. Looked neat, but anything of any size did'nt fit under it (thinking specifically about a BBC engine block, strapped on a pallet at the moment), so I always ended up driving around with this huge spoiler look & no lockie-lockie on the goods. The "advantage" of the foldable covers is you can still haul really tall things in your truck without having to remove the cover.

The shell's kinda a PIA too, but it makes the hauling capacity of the truck a lot more useful IMO. It about doubles the lockable cubic ft area over a tonneau.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 10 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

[/QUOTE]The "advantage" of the foldable covers is you can still haul really tall things in your truck without having to remove the cover.
[QUOTE]

The one that Rich suggested (link) looked pretty good as it retracts by itself. That would open up the bed, when you have to haul something higher than the tailgate, without the "large" spoiler effect.

But the other advantage of the complete cover (on gas shocks) is that they are waterproof, or about as waterproof as you can get.

I wonder how waterproof the roll up versions are?

The other issue is color, i.e., seem like the roll up units only come in black. Guess I could have it repainted a better color (white/silver) for California.

I mean, black at ButtonWillow or ThunderHill in July? The top would be 130 degrees just like the pavement. Great Dutch oven, but not so good for race tires.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 10 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I have #1.....the hard shell that lifts up...

pricey at $850 (includes installation and paint to match)

it can be removed by 2 people (sorta, Sherryl helped me once, she dropped her side and the corner of the lid went straight into and thru one of the rear tail light assemblies on my 914)
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Mar 10 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #10

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

A friend of mine has tried pretty much all of the options short of a hard camper shell. basically, this is what he had to say about 'em.

1) The canvas shell. Looks like the cover of the bed of a military transport. Simple, light weight, easy to remove and store. Not secure though.

2) Fiberglass cover. PITA. Not really usefull.

3) Canvas rolling cover. Pretty good, lockable, but ultimately not secure.

4) Articulated rolling aluminum cover. All the advantages of the canvas cover, with the security of something that can't be easilly broken into with a pocket knife.

Of the four, he liked (1) and (4) best. He's currently using (4)...

But has a big ol' dually that he can fit multiple sets of wheels and tires in the bed and still be able to cover. A smaller PU bed might be different.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 11 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #11

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 10 2006, 11:58 AM)
it can be removed by 2 people (sorta, Sherryl helped me once, she dropped her side and the corner of the lid went straight into and thru one of the rear tail light assemblies on my 914)

Yeow! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I have a one year old Frontier and am debating this same issue. I previously had a 92 Nissan Hardbody with a cab-height fiberglass shell. Used this for years and liked it. I slept in it at the Daytona 24 hrs and Sebring 12 hrs races and used it to carry tons of camping gear for long trips. Plenty of relatively secure weatherproof storage. But the co-owner of the new truck says no way to a new shell. She hated the loss of rear visibility caused by the tunnel-like shell and also the three layers of glass that you have to look through, especialy when covered by rain and dirt. I sort of agree with her on this, but would probably get one anyway. She'll agree to a fiberglass tonneau type cover, but although I like the security and looks okay, I'm not sure I want the hassle when I want to carry something that is taller than the bed sides. How often do I really carry big stuff? Not too often, but I don't know... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
race914
post Mar 11 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #12

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

Originally towed with an 87 Bronco but had too many exciting moments with the short wheelbase.

Maybe the pendulum swung too far to the other extreme, but this has been the best tow, track vehicle I've owned.

SnugTop shell protects my extra wheels, parts, etc. over the weekend.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pistachio
post Mar 11 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #13

YEOWZA! Now there's a tow rig.
Lowered, full size, crew cab, long bed, dually - luv it
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 11 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #14

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 10 2006, 09:42 AM)
Now, given that...the best system I have seen is a roll up aluminum truck bed covers.

truck bed cover

These offer protection, security, and you can still use the truck, as a truck when needed.

That's the one I have for all the reasons stated above, mostly the price / security tradeoff. One disadvantage is that it kind of uses up the last 10 inches or so by the cab for the mechanism, but there's a way to install it that minimizes this.

None of the covers are said to be water-tight, but I'd say this one is less water-tight than the fiberlgass cover with gas struts, if that's important to you.

+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 11 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #15

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You could always do a shell that ramps up tall enough to help with the aero. That would save you a few MPG on the highway....

Just a thought.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 11 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Randal,
I had the vinyl coated cover when I lived downtown about 15 years ago. It didn't last long. Those covers seem to be an invitation to cut open and look inside. I agree with the inflexibility of the hard covers. An ex's father had one and couldn't haul anything other than paint (he was a painter (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) ).

I'd look at the rollup/secure version.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 11 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #17

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have the flat fiberglass (painted to match the truck)version that locks and I like it very much. Everything is out of sight and secure.

Plus you can always go "Sorry, I can't help you move, I've got a cap on my truck"........same excuse works for if someone wants to borrow the truck.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 14 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

For a fold up version, this one looked pretty good and I'm guessing that it would be cooler than black.

http://www.redsbeds.com/index.html

Any one seen one of these on?

Wonder if they look OK in person?
+Quote Post
TurtleGirl
post Mar 14 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #19

Squirrel!

Member No.: 3,990
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 10 2006, 11:42 AM)

truck bed cover

Rich

This is the one I had on my Dodge. the whole truck was a POS, but the cover worked really well with it's versatility. I never worried about the watertightness, though. I live in the land of no rain. I didn't have to worry about snow either, which was one of the things that friends of mine who had them in Ohio ran into problems with. it didn't take long to have 100# of snow on the things to make them sag. It worked really well for me.... My $.02
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 14 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #20

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 11 2006, 01:51 PM)
I have the flat fiberglass (painted to match the truck)version that locks and I like it very much. Everything is out of sight and secure.

Plus you can always go "Sorry, I can't help you move, I've got a cap on my truck"........same excuse works for if someone wants to borrow the truck....  B)

Funny, as soon as people hear I have a truck it is 'can you help me move something' or 'pick up a new tv'.

I use the same excuse - I have a Gaylord fiberglass hard cover on the Lightning. I took it off by myself when I put the V8 back there to take to the dyno and won't do that again - I scratched the back of the truck a bit putting it back on. That said, I rarely really need to take it off - maybe twice in the last 2 yrs of ownership - dyno day and helping a good friend move (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) And finding a friend to help take it off is easy - I was just lazy that day.

I really like them as they tend to look good on a truck, seal tightly and I NEVER get water in the back, and is painted to match. Here is exactly what mine looks like as I have a Silver Lightning with the Silver lid like this pic (taken from Gaylord's site) without the gawd-awful wheels shown.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:12 PM