Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any possibility for a real club track day?, Since the wcc's not having one...
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Ever since I got off the track at the wcc 05, I've wanted to run at the track again...

I know theres a lot of events around... but, I just LOVED racing other 914's! (cept mark... he was slow, and I didnt wana pass him (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) jk mark)

Theres a few tracks local that I would drive to for just the racing event... buttonwillow, thunderhill, laguna, infineon (actually, the last two kinda scare me with the walls..)..

But I think it would be great to get the racers out again and have another go..

I was dreaming about the 06 wcc, and even got wide eyed when I saw the birds eye of the track, but when I was told that all we were going to do was an autox, I got depressed... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad2.gif)

I'd love to see an event were we get all the major players out and have a blast! Run like a 10 event weekend..

Autox,
Skidpad,
burnout contest
Drag
track day
show
brake contest
obstical course (I dono...)
ect
ect

Have trophies, for individual categories, top 3, most spins, best line, most improved, ect...

I'd like to personally race, and see the big dogs race each other... (big dogs I mean, JP, Drew, Andrew, Trekkor, Andy, Joe RS, Felix's, Fiids, Aarons, mine, ect.. ect.. I cant name everyone... lol)

I wana see the big 4's against the small turbo 4's, against the stock cars, against the big and small six's, the subi conversions, the v8's, the v6's, the rotary's, heck Even the electrics out there!

I wana know who's got the best, who drives the best, and who smack talks the best!!

If anyone else has the same feelings... Post it here.

I think our cars are ment to be driven.. This would be one darn good test!!

Andrew

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) + (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving-girl.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

interesting idea, just expensive and hard to organize.....

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Yup...

But were Porsche owners right?

That means were loaded, and intelegent, right?

(thats what my gf says... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) )

A sponser/s would be optimum..

WWOTC (west coast open track challenge)

I dono.. Im getting lonely here sanding all my bondo and fiberglass so Aaron wont hate HPH flares so much.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 14 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,518

My old college sports car club had a Buttonwillow weekend - it was about $125-$150 per person and I think we needed 35 people to break even. It's not that bad to rent a track (forget about Laguna - last time we checked you needed to have a helicopter ambulence to run.) The biggest expense is usually the ambulence followed by the course workers.
It is a blast to have the track to yourselves and set your own rules and run groups.
Both Buttonwillow (clockwise full track) and Thunderhill are proper tracks for a club event - not to many walls.
If you like Willow springs the Alfa club lets anyone run and they are alot of fun.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 14 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 13 2006, 11:09 PM)
(cept mark... he was slow, and I didnt wana pass him (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) jk mark)

Are you kidding!? I was the slowest person out there. I've really gotta get to some more AX events this year. Big tracks scare me until I've gotten some more seat time and maybe some instruction.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

I followed you for the first session... thinking that with your sticky tires you would out handle me...

i was wrong (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I thought we were in warm up laps... (no one was passing) the session ended and I was like, "wait... what? aww..."

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 14 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2006, 11:46 PM)
(cept mark... he was slow, and I didnt wana pass him  ;)  jk mark)

Are you kidding!? I was the slowest person out there. I've really gotta get to some more AX events this year. Big tracks scare me until I've gotten some more seat time and maybe some instruction.

If they don't scare you something is very wrong (real race car drivers are missing the fear gene) - or your really slow.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2006, 02:14 AM
Post #8

Spooling.... Please wait

Front straight of the streets of willow scared the crap out of me!!!

I think I got to 110 one time..

I never took turn one very quick... It was off camber, no time to setup for turn 2... quite scary!!!

+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 14 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #9

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Getting a track for the weekend at a time of year that the weather is good takes loooong term planning. There's lots of competition between all the clubs for good dates. Taking a date during the week is cheaper and easier but no one would show up. Sounds like a good idea but the reality is a bitch. Maybe WCC07
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 14 2006, 09:39 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I guess I'm timid...
but running a track event without a bit of structure and rules scares me...

I trust myself, but I certainly want to know that I can trust others... Its not something to take lightly.

having said that.
come out to the MAY 20-21st colorado track event.

Its not a teener only event, but if were lucky it will be 40-50% teeners and we should have a teener only run group!

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 14 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #11

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Thunderhill would be the safest place.
Cheap motel right near the track.
Easy access off I-5.

The track fess will be low there also.

Check with Trackmasters for more info.
Safe group. Lots of track time and usually on Friday.

KT
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 14 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #12

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Lots of clubs have open track events that you can enter. But letting it loose on a big track without instruction is scary. Even if you know what you're doing, if they are that lax about licensing, etc. some other putz may get you.

POC short track is a good place to start. Good instructors, nice folks, get licensed.
POC

There is that Lone Pine thing in May. I'm going, but have no idea what to expect. Hopefully a few teeners will show.
Lone Pine

+Quote Post
race914
post Mar 14 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #13

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 13 2006, 11:38 PM)
My old college sports car club had a Buttonwillow weekend - it was about $125-$150 per person and I think we needed 35 people to break even.  It's not that bad to rent a track (forget about Laguna - last time we checked you needed to have a helicopter ambulence to run.) The biggest expense is usually the ambulence followed by the course workers.
It is a blast to have the track to yourselves and set your own rules and run groups.
Both Buttonwillow (clockwise full track) and Thunderhill are proper tracks for a club event - not to many walls.
If you like Willow springs the Alfa club lets anyone run and they are alot of fun.

If that was the Cal Poly Sports Car Club, I ran that event at Buttonwillow!

The skid pad was a blast as was the slolom!

My car was never so dirty as after running the skid pad since they kept it watered (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 14 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #14

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 14 2006, 10:14 AM)
Lots of clubs have open track events that you can enter. But letting it loose on a big track without instruction is scary. Even if you know what you're doing, if they are that lax about licensing, etc. some other putz may get you.

POC short track is a good place to start. Good instructors, nice folks, get licensed.
POC

There is that Lone Pine thing in May. I'm going, but have no idea what to expect. Hopefully a few teeners will show.
Lone Pine

im all over the Lone Pine Challenge like a fat kid on cake!

2 mile AX.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

would be cool to piggy back a SOW event....
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Mar 14 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #15

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Ever since I got off the track at the wcc 05, I've wanted to run at the track again...

I know theres a lot of events around... but, I just LOVED racing other 914's! (cept mark... he was slow, and I didnt wana pass him (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) jk mark)

Theres a few tracks local that I would drive to for just the racing event... buttonwillow, thunderhill, laguna, infineon (actually, the last two kinda scare me with the walls..)..

Don't forget the proposed track in Merced County,

Riverside Motorsports Park

Possible 914club Gathering:
"March 9 through May 25: Riverside Motorsports Park welcomes visitors each Thursday evening at an informal, informational gathering from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Lanita's Restaurant, 2694 Shaffer Road at Bellevue Road in Atwater, CA. See you there!"
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 14 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #16

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

We are having track day here at No Problem Raceway. May 12th
Probably be the only 914 in the group but ... Ya'll come down we can have a party. I am sure the SCCA will have an AX that Sunday as well so Drag at the Gulfport strip Saturday. and the french Quarter everynight (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

PERFECT!
+Quote Post
race914
post Mar 14 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #17

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

Porsche Track Days coming up 4/15-16 for the west coasters... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

If you're near Buttonwillow Raceway there is a Drivers Ed coming up April 15-16 that includes PCA instruction. The event is run by the PCA Coastal Driving School which is a joint venture between the Monterey Bay & Loma Prieta PCA Regions. PCA MEMBERSHIP IS NOT REQUIRED to run this event!

Good Driver's Education Handbook provides the foundation of the driver's Ed as well as lot's of track time and excellent in car instruction. This guidebook also outlines car prep, safety equipment, etc.

Chief Instructor is Hank Watts, author of Secrets of Solo Racing (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

Registration info available on the PCA Coastal Driving School Homepage

DE events are a great way to get onto a road course in a controlled environment with in car instruction.

And you don't have to worry about unsafe drivers on the track with you...

Drivers must drive within their limits and keep their car in control or the authorities WILL intervene!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 14 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Mar 14 2006, 10:56 AM)

I know theres a lot of events around... but, I just LOVED racing other 914's! (cept mark... he was slow, and I didnt wana pass him  ;)  jk mark)

Don't forget the proposed track in Merced County,

Riverside Motorsports Park

Possible 914club Gathering:
"March 9 through May 25: Riverside Motorsports Park welcomes visitors each Thursday evening at an informal, informational gathering from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Lanita's Restaurant, 2694 Shaffer Road at Bellevue Road in Atwater, CA. See you there!"

I have not forgotten! but its 2+ years aways.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 14 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 14 2006, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Mar 13 2006, 11:38 PM)
My old college sports car club had a Buttonwillow weekend - it was about $125-$150 per person and I think we needed 35 people to break even.  It's not that bad to rent a track (forget about Laguna - last time we checked you needed to have a helicopter ambulence to run.) The biggest expense is usually the ambulence followed by the course workers.

If that was the Cal Poly Sports Car Club, I ran that event at Buttonwillow!

The skid pad was a blast as was the slolom!

My car was never so dirty as after running the skid pad since they kept it watered (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

That's the one. We used to put on some nice events, then the rotten bitch wife of the university president killed the club because we "wasted energy" - of course they still had tracter pulls on campus.
- BTW about 4 people did the planning for the whole deal.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 14 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

well, don't forget that Victory Lane Magazine eventually wants to get a 914 only rungroup for the vintage races.

not everyone's cup of tea, but probably your best bet if you ever want to run against 914s only.

if we can get ~20 cars to show up to their events, we could be getting our own rungroup.

that's what the event at laguna was all about last year. getting 914 guys interested in the vintage races ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:48 AM