Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT, How to tell if your a tool whore
Brett W
post Mar 14 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I can't work out of someone else's tool box. If I have to hunt for tools I just quit. If puts me in such a foul mood.

These are just metric wrenches:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 14 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Sockets all organized so you can operate efficently. Searching for tools waste time. You would be suprised how much fun working on cars can be when you don't have to search for your tools.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 14 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

You know your a tool whore when your impact wrenches are made of Titanium, Magnesium, and other composites.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 14 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Dave Bell @ Mar 14 2006, 07:39 PM)
My wife and my son both walk away with my tools... so there is need for duplicates....

I buy triplicates of some common wrenchs and sockets so that I know I can find at least one when I need it........

Can you have enough air tools????... die grinders are so cheap I have at least 3 with different attachments sitting on them ready to use.... I think I could use a couple more.

I was cleaning the garage the other day and found a brand new Makita angle grinder that I bought a while ago because I couln't find the dang wrench for it. Now I have 4 of them all loaded with different goodies. Wire wheel, cut-off disk, flap wheel and a grinding wheel on the newest one. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)
I like Mikes idea of the tool co-op for big stuff you almost never use, problem is most of that stuff is heavy - my tubing bender I am making is going to be about 200lbs. A tig welder is a serious hunk (unless you have one of those cool new inverter jobbies) Mill?
Some of my friends were having "autonight" every couple of weeks where we would get together at one place and crank out a project.
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Mar 14 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #25

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2006, 07:22 PM)
it would be nice with some of these higher end tools (TIG welders, tube benders, plasma cutters and such) that we could have a co-op so that there wouldn't be so much redundancy or just a plain lacking of having the needed or wanted tool due to it being too expensive or one cannot justify spending thousands of dollars for a tool that'll get used once every few months (mabey just my case)

i'd love to have a TIG, but pricey, sure, Mark D has one now, but that is 1.5hr away (and not the most portable item) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I've got another of those "less than portable" TIG welders.. would love to have it part of a coop.. sitting in a nice big piece of industrial property leaving me room to actually put my car in my garage...

Someone has figured out all the legal stuff for woodshops.. and they are as dangerous or worse that most metal working shops...
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 15 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #26

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

I've been able to slowly gravitate away from just wanting all the tools there are to only buying something when I need it.

Of course there's need, and then there's neeeeeeeeed

+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 15 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #27

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 14 2006, 09:54 PM)
I've got another of those "less than portable" TIG welders.. would love to have it part of a coop.. sitting in a nice big piece of industrial property leaving me room to actually put my car in my garage...

I think Carl Cilker has a barn, I've seen pictures.

Hi Dad! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)

+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 15 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Having mulitple grinders with Grinding disks, cut-off wheels, and wire brushes would be really nice. That would save having to switch them out.

Why don''t you guys in CA rent some space as a group and pull all of your projects into one place? Then you could easily sahre some of those bigger tools.
+Quote Post
stock93
post Mar 15 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 684
Region Association: South East States

I've definately been accused of being a tool whore a couple of times. I've maxed out my snap on credit line, paid cash for more stuff, and have a large want list on the as soon as I get the money. I hate to think what I have total in tools and I'm only 22. Although, when I need a tool I usually have it.

John
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:24 AM