Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '72 914, Looking to buy
D'Fuzz
post Mar 14 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,679

I met with a guy I know tonight who has a 914 for sale. It is a 1972 with a 1.7L. The car was originally from California. Supposedly the engine and transmission have been rebuilt. There is no rust on the car, and the hell hole is good. The guy says that there is a problem with the fuel injections system but the car still runs and drives. Other than that, the car is minty.

My plan for any car I get is to leave the drivetrain stock and make upgrades to the suspension and brakes. I am not planning any engine swaps unless it is a Jake Raby version at some point. I like the idea of air-cooled and I don't want to move into a mod class by putting in something else.

Any comments or suggestions?

This post has been edited by Gint: Mar 14 2006, 10:58 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
D'Fuzz
post Mar 14 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Sorry for the big photo. I am new at this.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 14 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Fixed your pic. Looks like a nice 914.
+Quote Post
Michael J
post Mar 15 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Welcome to 2007

Member No.: 3,166

The picture looks great. What's he asking?
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Mar 15 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,663

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
Good question. Dig around for rust, even California cars have some rust, probably no structural rust, but maybe some surface things you can use to negotiate. Also check the engine code.
My car had a "rebuilt" engine when I bought it. Turned out to be a GEX(mase production) job and needed head work after 30k miles, I'm not even going to get into the bus pistions, questionable lifter wear, and the fact the case is from a 411. Not all rebuilds are created equal.
But for what I paid, it was a steal.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Mar 15 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #6

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

The pic looks ok I guess.... the first thing to go would be those rivieras though.

I dunno... I guess it would depend on the price... but I think that car has had quite a few mods...... parking light delete, aftermarket mirrors, rear spoiler, painted bumpers, blacked out chrome, appears to be lowered, aftermarket rocker panels, etc.

Not ragging on the car.... but after all that... it has a problem with the fuel injection?? After it was recently rebuilt?? Hmmm.

I'd dig a little deeper into the history of the car..... find out what the FI problem is before you buy, and don't let the seller sell you on it's "originality". Buy it because you LIKE it.

Best of luck!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 15 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #7

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Assuming you like all those mods, I'd use the FI problem to steal the car. FWIW, if you look around you could find a complete used 1.7L D-Jet for less than $300-probably $200.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Mar 15 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #8

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

Trust me....there is something wrong with all of these cars, you just haven't found it yet. And I really am not saying that as a negative. Just a fact about 30 year old cars. Also, whatever is wrong, it is fixable.

To me, the biggest thing you should consider with this car is: do you like the appearance mods (paint, rockers, delete parking light, etc)? If your not happy with the look, then you are looking at a lot of work and money. Otherwise if the price is good, then go for it!!!

Personally, I like the stock look best....but this car looks kinda sweet to me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
D'Fuzz
post Mar 15 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #9

I don't have any problems with the way the car looks. As far as the issue with the FI, the cars runs and is drivable, so I don't know if it is just a tuning issue or what. I would rather sort it out than resort to using carbs though. I am going to take another board member with me when I go to look at it, so he can give me his opinion.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 06:21 AM