Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spot Weld Drill Bits, Help me buy the right thing
Richard Casto
post Mar 16 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

Don’t know much about them, but expect I am going to need one for my work on my 914. A quick Google search seems to show that they come in different sizes as well as styles? Some look like one piece bits while others look like a small bit that must go into some other type of chuck or mount. Some look very much like a regular drill bit and some look more like a hole saw with arbor. Some mention some type of depth gauges to prevent drilling out the metal behind the weld.

Recommendations on what style I should get?
What size should I look for?
Any tips or tricks on how to use these?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Mar 16 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

6-8mm is the sizws I've heard bantered around. I have used the one with the double sided cutter with the center pilot post with litt success. Keep breaking the center guide...

Eastwood has one that is a integral center pilot with a flatter cutter. I'll be trying that next.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
flesburg
post Mar 16 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,162

I have a couple. I like the solid ones best.

I bought mine from Eastwood.

Go to www.eastwoodco.com

They have a good selection of bodyworking tools, and their telephone order people are knowledgeable, or at least my experience with them has been good.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 16 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #4

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

This is the one that I used, I thought it did a good job, I bought it at my local Automotive Paint Supply Store.
Blair Spotweld Cutter
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Mar 16 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

Hey, those spotweld cutters look like re-bar drills..three cutters...those things cut FAST.....
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 16 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #6

jimtab Posted on Mar 16 2006, 09:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, those spotweld cutters look like re-bar drills..three cutters...those things cut FAST.....  

yah, real fast, you have to be careful, they'll go right through everything, but they sure do a great job. They use a spring loaded pilot.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Mar 17 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 623

I use Blair 3/8" spotweld cutters (part # 13214). They're small hole saw bits. The only problem with them is they have no centering bit...so you have to hold your drill steady for a moment until it starts cutting in. I used then to remove my rear trunk floor and entire rear panel.

Bill

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 17 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #8

I used model 13224, that one has the centering "Retactable Pilot" which prevents it from wandering, I just used a center punch and it lined up perfect. You can also adjust the depth of the cutter (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 17 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #9

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I use the rotabroach version shown on that same page. They cut VERY fast.

I prefer the spring loaded center so that you can control the depth of cut.

They seem to wander less than those solid bits and you can get replacement cutters for them.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 17 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,518

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Mar 16 2006, 10:02 PM)
I use Blair 3/8" spotweld cutters (part # 13214). They're small hole saw bits. The only problem with them is they have no centering bit...so you have to hold your drill steady for a moment until it starts cutting in. I used then to remove my rear trunk floor and entire rear panel.

Bill

Those work pretty good but keep a few spares on hand, you never when bang! Cutter teeth gone. I have the solid eastwood ones but have not tried them yet. I will soon when the seat mounts come out.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 17 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #11

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

In a pinch Dewalt Pilot Point drill bits work about just as well and can be gotten on a Sunday afternoon at your local Lowes / Home Depot.

+Quote Post
dkos
post Mar 17 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #12

say, "RUST"!

Member No.: 3,204
Region Association: None

QUOTE (jonwatts @ Mar 17 2006, 04:15 AM)
In a pinch Dewalt Pilot Point drill bits work about just as well and can be gotten on a Sunday afternoon at your local Lowes / Home Depot.

I agree...the Dewalt Pilot Points rule! They are cheap (compared to $20-$30 for the Eastwood bits), stay sharp for a long time and don't skip. I tried both of the bits sold by Eastwood. The spring loaded pilot broke within the first 15 spot welds I drilled out and the other bit is harder to keep centered and dulls quickly. The only drawback of the Dewalt bits is that you have to be more careful about going through the back piece. That little point that keeps you centered wants to go through the back piece before you get through the top piece. It cuts quickly and with a lot less effort than the Eastwood bits. Watch carefully while you are drilling...there will be a little puff of smoke when you get through the top piece. Stop when you see the smoke. You probably won't be completely through, but will be able to gently pry the two pieces apart and will only have a small indentation on the back piece.

My $0.02...save your money...you can buy 5 Dewalt Pilot Points for the price of one Eastwood Spot Weld Bit...and they are good for drilling the plug-weld holes in your replacement pieces!

ps:

Hey...I'm over 100 posts! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Mar 17 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #13

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523

Thanks for the info guys. I am not sure which I am going to get yet, but I think I have the info I need to make a decision. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Mar 17 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (jonwatts @ Mar 17 2006, 12:15 AM)

Jon....How about at your local INDEPENDANT hardware store where you stand a better chance of the clerk having a brain......screw the boxes!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:34 AM