Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 conv. exhaust
rhd914
post Mar 20 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,332

Hi, I am planning to convert my '73 914 to run a 3.2 engine.
I have up till now been running a 2.2 six.
My question is this.
What exhaust is best for the 3.2 with heat exchangers?
Is it necessary to have the sleeve that the original 3.2's exhaust's had thet went from the flange up into the exhaust port?

Thanks
Geoff.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eitnurg
post Mar 20 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Country Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 62
Region Association: None

It's been a while since I had to jump thru this hoop, but for the last ten years I've been running a 3.2 with 46IDA 3C's. There is a lot more choice available now, but I went thru a few permutations & spent a lot of time/money on a rolling road.

Mild steel headers ID 38mm are fine but lack heat and depending on design can foul & burn thru handbrake cables. Maybe you've been there already.

Stainless heat exhangers 1 5/8 ID (41mm I think), one of the first sets made, serious power loss at the top end, god knows why. Sent them back.

Original 914/6 exchangers, also lost power at the top end, obviously getting too small for a 3.2.

Finally got a redesigned stainless system, ID 38mm, the power returned and have been happy since.

The internal diameter is obviously critical for some reason, at least on a carburetted engine. None of them had the spigot into the port, as far as I'm aware no problems have been caused thru lack of it.

Hope this helps.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:34 AM