Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dream Car, We can do it.
neo914-6
post Mar 22 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #21

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 22 2006, 02:47 PM)
All these treads containing 'I wish they would make...'

My ideal would be cheap, light, and quick. 180mph top speed and 0-60 under 5.0 not required. No reinventing the wheel, just distilling most wanted features into one car.

Opposed or an inline laid flat so C/G close to axle centerline. A/C, stereo, etc. good, but have delete option for club sport version. No turbo/supercharger and possible 'green' version hybrid. Continuously variable tranny.

ABS/traction/airbags and protective cockpit. Make it look like a 55 to 65 sport racer. Lotus 23, RS60, etc. No bulges (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Target is 2:
2000 lbs
200hp
$20,000

There is enough artistic and engineering expertise here to do it.

$20k only if you can simplify the body, use cheaper motorcycle components ala Ariel Atom, ultralight extruded chassis like the Elise, do all the fabrication yourself or mass produce 100k/year offshore...

And don't add up the design, engineering, and prototyping costs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

It may look like this:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 22 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #22

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Felix, that's kinda what I had in mind. You guys ever ride in a Lotus 7 or Cobra? Makes a 914 seem like a Lexus. Original or replica, they just don't offer the safety/comfort factor and I wanted mid engine. 5 year old Boxters are ~$20k and that's the benchmark performance wise.

MR2 redone right? Half price Elise? I'm not talking about a supercar or dedicated racer, just a fun driver. DOT certifying is probably out of reach, so would be sold as a mostly assembled kit that would take a readily available engine/transaxle from an existing car.
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Mar 22 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #23

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

it's possible to do a factory 5 cobra under $25K

I'm sure there are kit 7's do-able for that # too.

I want Ariel Atom style, but on a budget (where did i put my tubing bender again.....) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

BJH
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Mar 22 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

for under 20 grand this would almost be impossible to do for anyone here. For a car company with machines to be able to produce stuff it wouldn't be so bad, but won't happen here. Even with off the shelf parts this would go way beyond 20. Custom typically equals expensive, and in order to package everything correctly and not compromise too much on the design (ie having good suspension geometry etc) it would have to have many custom parts. Especially parts like the motor, unless pulled from something else would be incredibly expensive to develop a new motor. And all of this is before passing emissions and safety standards and whatever other kinds of things that need to be met in order to legally drive a car on the street in the US.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 23 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #25

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (biggy72 @ Mar 22 2006, 09:36 PM)
for under 20 grand this would almost be impossible to do for anyone here. For a car company with machines to be able to produce stuff it wouldn't be so bad, but won't happen here. Even with off the shelf parts this would go way beyond 20. Custom typically equals expensive, and in order to package everything correctly and not compromise too much on the design (ie having good suspension geometry etc) it would have to have many custom parts. Especially parts like the motor, unless pulled from something else would be incredibly expensive to develop a new motor. And all of this is before passing emissions and safety standards and whatever other kinds of things that need to be met in order to legally drive a car on the street in the US.

Not in the industrial sect, are we?

I'm in. And I think we could hit budget. Might as well incorperate some neat aero devices everywhere we can. Someone design the bodywork. I think we'd HAVE to rely on the 6-point harnesses. Custom installing airbags is dangerous. I used to work for a plant that made airbags. They had alarms when there was too much static in the air and everyone had to sit down where they were standing, in case something explodes. But thats another story.

Who else could help?
WRX914- Windshield?
Me-Mounts and machinework
We'd need a team of artists to design the thing.
And someone willing to bury his garage in styrofoam and fiberglass for the bodywork.
And someone to weld a tube-frame. From aluminum with a steel rollcage? Or totally out of steel. It's too late. I can't remember the name of the lightweight steel they use in aircraft. I'll remember after I post.

And we'd HAVE to do unequal length adjustable wishbones on the front and five link rear.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Mar 23 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 623

Steal someones's Ultima GTR (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 23 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #27

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Chromoly. I woke up for that.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 23 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I did some consulting and assisted with some of the elements of this car. The windsheild is from a Saab 900. It's layed back and cut to shape. Lots of ways to use exsisting parts without re-inventing the wheel.

The car pictured is the first one completed. It's a cut down 928. Glas body kit, No top, I made a manually opporated (as in a 4' handle) tubing bender and dies to form the bannana shaped 1 3/4" DOM tubing used for the roll bar. I still have the back up die around someplace.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 23 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Heres the next gen car, no more roll bar (targa bar gone (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ) complete with power top that hides under the body like the Mercedes.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 23 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #30

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Just finished watching the movie, "Tucker"......not pretty.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 23 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 23 2006, 06:41 AM)
Just finished watching the movie, "Tucker"......not pretty.

Hold that TIGER!
+Quote Post
dekman
post Mar 23 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,274

I think I got close: 2200lbs, 220hp, $26,000. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/givemebeer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Mar 23 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Can we get a cup holder for those $$$? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 23 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #34

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

0-60 in 5.0 seconds? Yep Under $20,000? Yep No Turbo or Supercharger? Yep 30 MPG? Yep, sub 2000 lbs? Yep AC and radio? Check Delete option? Yes. Sports racer look and low CG? Sorry (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Check out this link:

http://www.gomini.com/fs/vtec/vtec.htm

(IMG:http://www.gomini.com/fs/vtec/Mini011.JPG) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 23 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #35

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Here you go Howard. Price is the only question.

VW EcoRacer. Mid-motor, targa top, 1900 lbs, 100mpg, 0-62 in 6.3 sec. I like it!

(IMG:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_44/car_portal_pic_22221.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_44/car_portal_pic_22222.jpg)

Demick
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Mar 23 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,896

buy a used 2003 or 2004 Mustang Cobra. You can get a hard top for about $20k. Convertables are about $25k

They go 0-60 in under 4sec and go just over 170.

+Quote Post
biggy72
post Mar 23 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 22 2006, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (biggy72 @ Mar 22 2006, 09:36 PM)
for under 20 grand this would almost be impossible to do for anyone here. For a car company with machines to be able to produce stuff it wouldn't be so bad, but won't happen here. Even with off the shelf parts this would go way beyond 20.  Custom typically equals expensive, and in order to package everything correctly and not compromise too much on the design (ie having good suspension geometry etc) it would have to have many custom parts. Especially parts like the motor, unless pulled from something else would be incredibly expensive to develop a new motor. And all of this is before passing emissions and safety standards and whatever other kinds of things that need to be met in order to legally drive a car on the street in the US.

Not in the industrial sect, are we?

I'm in. And I think we could hit budget. Might as well incorperate some neat aero devices everywhere we can. Someone design the bodywork. I think we'd HAVE to rely on the 6-point harnesses. Custom installing airbags is dangerous. I used to work for a plant that made airbags. They had alarms when there was too much static in the air and everyone had to sit down where they were standing, in case something explodes. But thats another story.

Who else could help?
WRX914- Windshield?
Me-Mounts and machinework
We'd need a team of artists to design the thing.
And someone willing to bury his garage in styrofoam and fiberglass for the bodywork.
And someone to weld a tube-frame. From aluminum with a steel rollcage? Or totally out of steel. It's too late. I can't remember the name of the lightweight steel they use in aircraft. I'll remember after I post.

And we'd HAVE to do unequal length adjustable wishbones on the front and five link rear.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

nope I'm not, but I have built a car from scratch... for around 25 that was mid engined, custom suspension, and the best overall design we could come up with at the time.

the problem is it's only a one seater, it's no where near street legal, and it's not meant to go too far before falling apart. All of these things add money on, and this is with an already done motor (granted with custom intake , exhaust, and custom fi). Now this was our first car, and next years will be much better, but there's a large gap between what is possible for 20g and this. The little specialty parts add up, and if you've got to cnc anything (unless you have your own mill ie more $) then that'll add more onto it too.
+Quote Post
rpmmaxxed
post Mar 23 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 4,140
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (dflesburg @ Mar 23 2006, 07:51 AM)
buy a used 2003 or 2004 Mustang Cobra. You can get a hard top for about $20k. Convertables are about $25k

They go 0-60 in under 4sec and go just over 170.

Might want to check your numbers...

0-60 in under 4 seconds? I dont think so. As for the 170mph, umm, no.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 23 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #39

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

Demick, I'm just afraid that car won't make it. Fits all the requirements, gets 30+mpg, but I'll bet it's gonna gain weight, content and $$. ECORacer is the right name.

And you guys are right, the only way a homebuilder could pull this off is by using off the shelf stuff.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 23 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #40

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 23 2006, 09:29 AM)
Demick, I'm just afraid that car won't make it. Fits all the requirements, gets 30+mpg, but I'll bet it's gonna gain weight, content and $$. ECORacer is the right name.

I'm afraid it won't make it on price (I haven't seen any proposed prices, but doubt it will make your $20K price goal). Supposedly gets up to 100mpg, so it won't be able to gain any weight or content if they are going to maintain the mpg and performance.

Demick
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:00 PM