Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone else here have a JCPenney Battery, w/Lifetime Warranty in their 914?
NoEcm
post Mar 23 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,309

Looking back at my records I purchased the battery March 8, 1981 for $114.00 (which was a lot of money back then). 2 or 3 years after I purchased the battery JCPenney got out of the automotive business and contracted Firestone to handle the replacements.

The battery has been replaced 5 or 6 times under warranty (by Firestone) since the original purchase.

I think I've gotten my money's worth out of the lifetime warranty.

Anyone else have one of these batteries in their car?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 23 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hopefully its a sealed type battery as most of us have switched to using a Optima so we don't have battery acid washing down on to the long. You know how much rust repairs cost compared to a "always free" battery? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
NoEcm
post Mar 23 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,309

The battery is lead acid type. Since 1981 the battery has always had the “full top cover” on it and I’ve never noticed any battery acid damage (or any remnants of acid on the battery tray).

From what I’ve seen there seem to be 2 types of battery covers. One is rectangular and it covers the whole top of the battery. The other is “T” shaped and only covers part of the battery top. Were the two types of battery covers issued during different recalls?

Appreciate the advice and I've actually considered buying an Optima battery (at least every time I walk through the automotive section at Costco)..........……………........maybe some day when I start driving the car again.

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 23 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

NoEcm,
I purchased my JC Penny battery back in '78. Just last week, I replaced the previous battery that was last exchanged in 1996 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) I can't believe that battery lasted 10 years. Previous to that, the battery was replaced in 1990. As has already been stated, if you do not have a sealed battery, keep a VERY close eye on any battery acid "events" in that very vulnerable area. I always remove the battery, inspect and clean the battery tray and surrounding surfaces at least twice a year. I think it is fairly common knowledge that a close visual and tactile inspection of the battery environment should be performed anytime you're in the engine compartment for mainenance or service.

+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Mar 23 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,937

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)

which is the right optima to buy?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:06 PM