Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Explain what a rear lip or wing will do for a 914, different device but similar results????
turboman808
post Mar 23 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

OK gonna start ordering some parts. So I would like to know the car is stable at high speeds. Not that I plan to go nuts right away (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

I plan to put on a front dam. You know the home depot kind. Won't worry about if it bangs the ground. For the rear I would prefer to use a lip instead of a wing. Just want to know what kind of results each will produce. And being that I am a aerodynamic noob I just want to know if this will help or do I really need a wing? or even both? anything else I should consider?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 23 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #2

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

I've had both for my track car. The rear lip disrupts the air that curls around under the car and helps keep the car's bottom from being pushed up or "lifting". Not really a downforce type of mod.

The rear wing adds substantial downforce. I had my 60 inch CF wing set for 0, 3, and 7 degrees of angle depending upon my setup. You can really feel it. It does create drag, so you need some HP to overcome the drag.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 23 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 23 2006, 08:42 AM)
...anything else I should consider?

you might consider that 200-HP 914/6GT's ran (and won...) at LeMans with no aerodynamic do-dads whatsoever.

i've had my 914.6 to 140-ish (l-o-n-g Riverside CanAm course backstraight...) with the stock decklid and a snowplow front spoiler and it felt fine.

anything you do to the rear decklid should be considered for its aesthetic appeal until you start spending a significant amount of time over 135. below that, it weighs something, costs something, and adds drag. but if you like the looks, go for it. it won't do anything but slow you down...
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 23 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

As stated above, the lip cleans up the airflow and the wing gives you downforce.

I took the 5" lip off my car 'cause I didn't think it did anything. Like Tim said, you'll never see a picture of a factory car with the lip. (That sound you hear is all the history buffs clicking though thier files to find a pic to prove me wrong (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) )

Wings look cool and work on race cars. But the look sorta silly when your sitting at a stop light.

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Mar 23 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

ok well I am going to order some parts from renline tonight. Ya know lighten it up a bit. So I should just get the plain rear deck lid then? Or should I go ahead and get the one with the lip on it? Guess I will wait til I need a wing. But yeah if you think the lid with the lip does a bit of good I will order that one. Does look rather nice but would cause drag I would think, or does it reduce drag when it disrupts the air flow out back?

off the subject I ordered a full leather cowhide and some other shiny do-dads for inside. Hope it looks cool. I just feel those carpeted sides and center console should be covered in leather (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:22 PM