Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cold air induction?, ricers benefit would type iv or a six?
alpha434
post Mar 26 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #21

My member number is no coincidence.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Accurately measuring the exact temperature isn't important. Measuring a difference is. The accuracy on the unit was +- 5deg. The accuracy of calipers are +- 0.002". But in the case of either, you will notice a difference between one measurement to the next. This isn't random. It indicates differences in sizes between one measurement to the next. Is one inch exactly one inch when checked with calipers? Maybe. Maybe not. Is the next part, that measured 1 thou bigger than the last part, 1 thou bigger? Yes. Unless you went out of your way to disprove that by purposly botching the measurements of either. Same for the temp probe. Is the inital temp exactly 95 deg? Maybe. Is the next reading, at 98deg, three deg hotter? Yes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 26 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #22

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

My arrangement also uses a "K" type thermocouple... I agree thatb temperature differences are the biggest thing that one should use when analyzing data, but to me 1 degree IS within the variance of the instruments being used to gather data and I'd write off the change.

If I can't make a change that nets at least a 5 degree difference, the effort was wasted.

Jacking up the timing 6-7 degrees should make at least a notable change in the oil temps.

Don't forget that tests require controls to be effective, unless you can monitor (and sustain) load and RPM there is no control with the test he completed.

If his ignition timing test would have included EGT and AFR monitoring as well as oil temp the results could be more closely compared.... Thats why I have a 32 channel data logger.

By no means am I doubting his work with this testing, because I know how much it sucks to do test work, share the data and then be questioned by the very individuals that you intended to assist. Thats the reason why I quit posting my test results and started charging for the data...

+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 26 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #23

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Roger that, Jake. Actively applying the scientific process is tough when other people are involved. Nobody trusts anybody these days.

So... What do you think about a chambered FI plenum cooloed by liquid CO2?
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Mar 26 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #24

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 26 2006, 06:51 AM)
...By no means am I doubting his work with this testing, because I know how much it sucks to do test work, share the data and then be questioned by the very individuals that you intended to assist. Thats the reason why I quit posting my test results and started charging for the data...

My opinion:
Well, I've seen/heard plenty of people make claims to improvements via their "testing" just to find out their "testing" was less than scientific. Not knowing how testing was done raises suspicion with me. Maybe I'm scarred from my Business Statistics professor (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) In the scientific community, having your results scrutinized and you able to back up the data is par. I basically have to do the same stuff when creating executive-level reports for my customers. Just because one may be an expert -- or have good intentions -- doesn't necessarily mean they're right.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 26 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

GM and Mopar used cold air as options in the '60/ '70s. My '69 SS350 drove the 1/4 mile 3 tenths faster than my pals RS 350 w/o cold air. Both cars were identically mod'ed otherwise, and weighed within 20 lbs. of each other. On my 986 Boxster filter kits, the unit is located right in the airflow of the fender duct.
Marty

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 27 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #26

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I've been looking at fab'ing a scoop/engine cover. I'm still early in the planning stage, but it will stick out through the roll bar like this pic shows. I have been running it w/out anything over the engine and I know sooner of later somebody will fill a protest because I don't have a "hood".

Maybe I can get it to seal over the carbs and than I'll only run one air filter. But that seems like a lot of work. Keep it simple.

If you look at my avatar and look at the pic below you can see how I want it to look.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Mar 27 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #27

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

I like the idea of a single intake for your race car, however (there's always those (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) ), all your induction noise will be funneled through it and at you! My good friend has a mid-engined Notchback roadster (no roof) and it used to have a scoop over the engine somewhat similar to what you're talking about but it was loud! Step on the gas and it was louder still! Yeah, initially it was great but on any road trip it became fatiguing and forget about holding a conversation.

Granted, your's is for a race car (which will make even MORE noise) but still...do you really need all that extra noise in your right ear? Maybe if you placed it off-center, more to the right of the car? Just something to consider.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 27 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #28

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here is a pic I found for the fun of it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 27 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #29

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Mar 27 2006, 10:45 AM)
I like the idea of a single intake for your race car, however (there's always those (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) ), all your induction noise will be funneled through it and at you! My good friend has a mid-engined Notchback roadster (no roof) and it used to have a scoop over the engine somewhat similar to what you're talking about but it was loud! Step on the gas and it was louder still! Yeah, initially it was great but on any road trip it became fatiguing and forget about holding a conversation.

Granted, your's is for a race car (which will make even MORE noise) but still...do you really need all that extra noise in your right ear? Maybe if you placed it off-center, more to the right of the car? Just something to consider.

Good idea. I thought about locating it off-center away from my head a little bit.

I would think with a full face helmet and if I need to, I'll put ear plugs in that I would be OK.

I only need to put up with it for a few minutes at a time.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 15 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

This is the MR 2 that I saw on the street, nicely done in fiberglass L and R sides. I've also seen them on another car still in primer (ricer style) , so these are more than likely mfg'd and sold in speed shops in San Gabriel Valley. Dedicated fit to the MR2 though...anyone handy in F'glass (Morphen Spectra) could make these up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Marty

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 15 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

nuther from the rear angle. I'm sure that it gets some cold stuff in there.
Marty

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 16 2006, 05:39 AM
Post #32

Looks kinda a stupid to me 'cause the intakes don't or bearly go above the roof line and the openings are so small. But I realize with the ricer crowd it's looks first, function last.

Now if you're going to aiir to the engine you need a SCOOP like this....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
redshift
post Apr 16 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #33

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

You guys are IDIOTS!

Many of you removed your A/Cs... FOOLS!

DPD air injection, YO!

M
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 16 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #34

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

Elise air intake snorkel is right there on the side!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 16 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #35

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Here's my take on it. It seems to help a bit when I watch the intake temp but, I can't feel any difference

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Apr 16 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #36

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 15 2006, 01:21 PM) *

nuther from the rear angle. I'm sure that it gets some cold stuff in there.
Marty

originally those snorkels were for the turbo'd 2nd generation mr2's w/ their intercooler mounted against the wall of the engine bay.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Apr 16 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #37

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I think I'm going to find an intercooler of some sort that has the same diameter ports as my intake boot (between the AFS and Plenum), run it right under the decklid grille (a-la 930 style). Or better yet, in front of the cooling fan with a shroud made up around it... Forcing air through the intercooler. The fan is nothing but a huge vacuum...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 03:58 PM