Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Golf clubs needed, Picking up golf this year :)
Kerrys914
post Mar 26 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

What is a good entry level club/set that will not kill the bank (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Since there are agazillion golf courses around here I am picking up golf..really I am....this year.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Mar 26 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

try golfsmith.com, look into a used pair, once you decide to continue go and see what feels best for you. Get them fitted, counter weighed, it willl make a big difference. The first set I had were used Wilson clubs, old, then on to a set of Target clubs, I think they were North woods something like that. I have had a few different sets, currently have Callaway's. I like the feel, even when I hit the ball thin, it feels good..
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Mar 26 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Thanks I'll check them out. I have played golf a few times and had a good time. I used some Wilson clubs and felt they were crap...Way too much flex in the shaft (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

I hope to get a pair that will take me to the SUB 100's, some day (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

I am at the point now where golf outings with clients happen a lot. I am going to hit the courses HARD this summer and hope to get my game to a level I can go out and not chase the balls down the right side of the courses...

Cheers

+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 26 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

These days I'm pretty surprised by inexpensive sets that you see at places like Costco. I'd just borrow some clubs or buy a inexpensive used set in order to start.

My best advice is to spend your money on lessons. Starting off right and learning how to swing the club properly will make the game lots of fun. So many people learn from friends, develop a hack swing, and never learn how to break 90.

+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 26 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 26 2006, 03:44 PM)
These days I'm pretty surprised by inexpensive sets that you see at places like Costco. I'd just borrow some clubs or buy a inexpensive used set in order to start.

My best advice is to spend your money on lessons. Starting off right and learning how to swing the club properly will make the game lots of fun. So many people learn from friends, develop a hack swing, and never learn how to break 90.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
"It's not the arrows, it's the indian." Just as in driving a car, the best performance upgrade is improving the driver. Take lessons from a pro, it will be the best money you'll spend on the game. It will make the game more fun too.

Even cheap clubs (Costco, Walmart) are pretty good as starters. Once you know what kind of game you play, go get fitted and get a nice set.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 26 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Buy your self a good driver, I have a cheap set I will sell yah for $10 its been 5 years since I played, I paid a little over $100 for it. Nothing fancy but they are good biginer set. I won't play again for another five, why let them collect dust. If I ever play again the course around here I only need 4 clubs anyway. Driver a 3, a 9 or an 8, and a putter. PM me or anybody else for that matter if you want them.

Take care, Stephen Jacobs
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 26 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #7

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I definitely agree on the lessons. I have a set of 25 year old Wilsons. I tried the different club approach and finally went the lesson route.

The 25 year old clubs work fine now.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Mar 26 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #8

Thanks, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Lessons are in the plan too. Just didn't want some BAD clubs to make things harder for me.

I heard Cavity backs are more forgive'n then the solid/filled back irons.???

Stephen e-mail me at kerys914@yahoo.com

Cheers
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 26 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #9

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I'd also recommend Ben Hogan's book, "Five Lessons: the modern fundamentals of Golf".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671612972/

For me I finally understood swing mechanics after reading this book.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Mar 26 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Cavity backs oversized, for me are the way to go. Everyone has a preference, whatever feels right. My Clubs are just that, and there great. Agreed with others in regards to lessons, will make al the difference. THe clubs however, is just what feels right. The company golfsmith.com sells used clubs, you can get good clubs cheap... If you want new go to a golf shop and spend an hour or two just swinging clubs hitting balls.. best way to get a feel for the clubs and what you like.. As they say golf is 90% mental... And you have to be mental to play... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
pek771
post Mar 26 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,175

Get some lessons. That is the most important thing. A good pro will be able to teach you the most basic swing, such that you can make good contact, in about an hour. He will also be able to recommend clubs. Clubs have differing lengths, and lies (the angle the club is from your arms, such that it's flat when you address the ball). One size does not fit all in golf.

Good luck!
Pat
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 26 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #12

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

Oh yeah. Cavity-backs or perimeter weighted (same thing) are essential for the beginner. Far more forgiving on off-center hits. If you're going to spend some time looking at clubs and comparing, here are some features designed to help the beginner golfer.

Perimeter Wieghting: Raises the Moment of Inertia (MOI) of the clubhead causing it to react less to off-center hits (ball flies straighter).

Over-size heads: More forgiving because it gives you more clubface to contact the ball with.

Low Kick-Point Shafts: The kick-point of the shaft is the point on the shaft of maximum deflection (flex) during the swing. The closer to the bottom of the shaft the kick-point is the more positive loft it adds to the clubhead at the point of impact, making it easier to get the ball in the air.

Wide sole on irons: Does two things. Stops the club from digging into the turf (taking a divot is only for good golfers who are trying to put backspin on the ball) and it puts more wieght lower in the clubhead, lowering the center of gravity of the clubhead. A lower C of G helps get the ball in the air because the C of G of the clubhead is lower than the C of G of the ball.

Shafts: Shafts come in different flex. Stiffer flex for higher swing speeds and softer flex for lower swing speeds. Don't fall into the ego trap of getting shafts that are too stiff. For a beginner, regular stiff shafts will be just fine. The kick-points will be about right and the softer flex will actually help you hit the ball further. Don't go to stiffer shafts until you know you really need them. Stiff shafts transmit a lot of shock to the hands on off center hits which can be painful. Also, if your shafts are too firm for your swing speed, you will actually loose distance rather than gain it.

High Loft Driver: Gets the ball in the air easier and will give you better distance.

Remember: "Drive for show. Putt for dough." The short game is really where it's at if you want to score well.

Most of all, have fun. Tee it up in the fairway, throw your ball out of sandtraps, give yourself a better lie. Anything that removes the frustration out of learning and allows you to hit good shots will keep you coming back. No one really cares how well you play, they just want to enjoy being on the course with you. Keep it light, keep it fun. Get serious once you get good.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 26 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Callaway
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 26 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #14

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The golf pro that you take lessons from may have clubs that you can try. Most good courses have a really good set of clubs that they rent and use for lessons. Callaways come to mind.
Once you have taken a few lessons the next step is to get a set of clubs. This is going to be a little more in the beginning but get a set of clubs that are fitted to you is like making sure you have the right sized shoes.
It will make a huge difference in your game.
Also, don't go out and play golf on the golf course to learn. Do that on the range and in designated golf learning centers. It will make it easier and less frustrating for you and the group playing behind you. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
Good luck,keep your head down,eye on the ball, and a smooth takeaway.
CCLINFORE
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #15

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 26 2006, 02:46 PM)
I'd also recommend Ben Hogan's book, "Five Lessons: the modern fundamentals of Golf".

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Here's another book that has great illustrations and will make you feel like an insider. You'll refer back to it over and over.

The Lesson Tee

Get a good pre-shot routine and stick to it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/golfer.gif)

Marc
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Mar 27 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,604

I know nothing about golf, but my son loves the game. I bought him a set of top flite pro clubs at Costco for Xmas. He loves them, and says they have improved his game.

They were around $400 Canadian.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 27 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #17

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I feel like Happy Gilmore. I know jack about golf, but have a pretty good swing... at least at some sports. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
I have golfed once in my life... I went out there wondering, just hoping I could connect... Dang, that's a little ball down there with a weenie slim club thingie! Well, turns out, connecting was no problem! Whoooohoo. Except it turned to be a pretty serious slice... I think... or is that a hook? I dunno... it went right. Way right. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Ok, all you golfers can laugh at me now. And then tell me how to fix that????
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Mar 27 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #18

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

I sold my clubs about 35 years ago, minus the nine iron, because I had wrapped it around a tree. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and spend the time and money on your car. You'll thank me for it later.
Cheers, Elliot
PS If you don't follow my advice, make sure you get some lessons from a good teaching pro.
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Mar 27 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #19

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

QUOTE (Rand @ Mar 27 2006, 01:54 AM)
I feel like Happy Gilmore. I know jack about golf, but have a pretty good swing... at least at some sports. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
I have golfed once in my life... I went out there wondering, just hoping I could connect... Dang, that's a little ball down there with a weenie slim club thingie! Well, turns out, connecting was no problem! Whoooohoo. Except it turned to be a pretty serious slice... I think... or is that a hook? I dunno... it went right. Way right. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Ok, all you golfers can laugh at me now. And then tell me how to fix that????

I'm guessing that your right handed. Just the let the right arm go along for the ride. Your pushing through the swing with your right arm. Took me half a season to fix that when I started out. It's not a baseball and the harder you swing at it the more your screw it up.

Take some lessons and develop your swing. Don't practice on a course practice at a driving range. Once your comfortable with your swing and consistant take it to a golf course.

Good luck and remember the more you relax the better the game goes.

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 27 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #20

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Thanks. There's a driving range near my house... $5 for a bucket of balls. I need to go practice. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:28 AM