Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carbon fibre shortage???, Just spoke to Getty Design..............
East coaster
post Mar 27 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

I just tried to order a CF 911 dash fro my teener and Getty informed me that they are no longer doing anytihg w/CF becasue they can't get it. They said the aircraft industry has bought up all produced CF and there is a shortage.

Just FYI for anyone considering any CF goodies!

I guess I'm back to my 914 dash and now need a 2 1/16" gas gauge. I've searched and read previous posts till bored and still can't seem to find the definitive answer on part#/availablility of this gauge??????
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 27 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

alpha/johnman are almost done with 904 gauge kits....

the magic vdo gas gauge i think is the VW sender one...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 27 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Carbon fiber shortage my ass. That is just a marketing technic to drive prices up. They did it with gas and every other commodity out there. And we fall for it hook line and sinker everytime. I dont believe any of it anymore.

People want what they cannot have and if there is a shortage, they will pay more for it. What can you do?
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 27 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #4

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Why would the aircraft industry buy cosmetic carbon fiber. The use exclusively the directional stuff.

And Aaron. Yes. I'm picking up a bunch of uncoated units on Thursday.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Mar 27 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,590

Seems to real
http://www.uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 27 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #6

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

No way! You're kidding!!! I'd better go out and buy some stock today!
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Mar 27 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Fine fiberglass it is!!!
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,526

I heard this more than once. I remember reading an article about the new RS Spyder. Apparently, they couldn't finish some parts in time due to the shortage. Why? Because the new Airbus A380 uses a lot of carbon fiber, and has been depleting the world of it.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 27 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

It is real.. My Carbon Fiber tech works for Rockwell and he says it is certainly been hard to get.
We have suspended selling Carbon Fiber DTMs until the situation gets better, turn around time is out of control!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 27 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Ayup.
Boeing & Scarebus have most all of it tied up....and it's gonna be so for the forseeable future. The new Boeing jet is a CF airplane. It's comming out-of-the-box at 7 planes per month.....but now they want 10 going to 14 per.
Course, we haven't built any yet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

All structual attachments to the CF must be to Tiatainium......which, while available....temporarly at least, is going thru the roof also.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 27 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #11

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

I was ordering a GT Racing c/f 70" wing just last Friday, and at the end of it all he mentioned "the new price" and the old price was a bit steep (for me, not for c/f goodies) and that wing was now double the fiberglass one, so I have a fiberglass one on the way. He also said it was almost impossible to get c/f, the price of material was increasing, and he might not get more of those wings once he is out. He said it would be an 8 month lead time if he were out of stock from what I gathered (he had 2 left when I was talking to him Friday).

I really liked the shape of that wing too... oh well. I will have plenty of downforce with the one that is coming.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Mar 27 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #12

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 27 2006, 12:25 PM)
Ayup.
Boeing & Scarebus have most all of it tied up....and it's gonna be so for the forseeable future. The new Boeing jet is a CF airplane. It's comming out-of-the-box at 7 planes per month.....but now they want 10 going to 14 per.
Course, we haven't built any yet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

All structual attachments to the CF must be to Tiatainium......which, while available....temporarly at least, is going thru the roof also.

JP nailed it.....the Seattle guys are sucking up all of the CF for their CF tube fuselage.

Why would the aircraft industry buy cosmetic carbon fiber. The use exclusively the directional stuff.

Actually, we use alot of plain weave CF (mostly prepreg), with some strategically placed Uni for strength in a given direction. That said, I believe that the CF tube fuselage sections on the 7E7 and 787 uses tons of Uni in their automated process (picture a spider spinning a web around a fly (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) )

....and I just happen to have a 1000' roll of 3" prepreg I could let go for say... $10,000. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Grngoat
post Mar 27 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #13

Lurker Member

Member No.: 2,967
Region Association: Southwest Region

Aircraft don't use unidirectional exclusively. It all depends on the application. If it's stiffness critical, then uni (tape) is usually better, but woven (fabric) has better damage tolerance and is much easier to work with. Even so, most tape parts still have some fabric in them. Either way, the raw fibers are exactly the same for tape or fabric, they're just different product forms of the same material.

Boeing and Scarebus are using up lots of it, but so are military aircraft programs. Not surprising that cosmetic uses get the short end of the stick.

Also, mating metal parts don't have to be Ti. Aluminum works fine, you do have to seperate the parts with a fiberglass layer to prevent galvanic corrosion, but Ti isn't mandatory.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 27 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #14

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Grngoat @ Mar 27 2006, 08:22 PM)

Also, mating metal parts don't have to be Ti. Aluminum works fine, you do have to seperate the parts with a fiberglass layer to prevent galvanic corrosion, but Ti isn't mandatory.

Don't tell me, tell a Boeing engineer......you may as well preach to God (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Grngoat
post Mar 27 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #15

Lurker Member

Member No.: 2,967
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Don't tell me, tell a Boeing engineer......you may as well preach to God

I'm a Lockheed engineer. But commercial stuff is different, they are very conservative.

And I'm glad for it! I hate flying on Airbus! If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Mar 28 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Interesting topic, and it helps explain why I am seeing this shortage elsewhere. One of my other 'hobbies' is building/flying high performance RC sailplanes. And yes, it has been very hard getting CF lately. I use it in tail booms, spars, fuselage construction, etc. eBay has been the best source as it seems many suppliers are running out.

Dion
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 28 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #17

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

I guess I should start manufacturing carbon fiber.
+Quote Post
Nick
post Mar 28 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,250

I always see Airbus getting bashed on this site and was wondering if the bashers have an statistics to back up their claims that Airbuses are less safe than Boeing's. I did a quick Google on airplane crash statistics and got a few listings and Boeing always seemed to have more crashes than Airbus? Just curious.

Nick
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:05 AM