Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door gap adjustment, Messed up my door gap
agrump
post Mar 27 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,103

I messed up my passenger side door gap when I welded in a Engman long kit. The gap was fine before welding. The drivers side gap did not change but the passenger side gap at the top rear of the door is now about half of what it was. Yep, I tried putting it on jacks before welding but that messed up the door gaps like crazy. Now that is's all welding up, Can I adjust it or should I just live with it?

BTW, the long kit really helped stiffen the car up a lot. The feel of the car is 100% improved, the suspension use to feel too harsh over bumps as if the suspension where crashing into them instead of absorbing the shock. Now it feels like the suspension is actually working. I also noticed that the gab at the top of the window toward the rear does not flex nearly as much as it use to while driving down the hwy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Mar 28 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(agrump @ Mar 27 2006, 01:29 PM) *

I messed up my passenger side door gap when I welded in a Engman long kit. The gap was fine before welding. The drivers side gap did not change but the passenger side gap at the top rear of the door is now about half of what it was. Yep, I tried putting it on jacks before welding but that messed up the door gaps like crazy. Now that is's all welding up, Can I adjust it or should I just live with it?

BTW, the long kit really helped stiffen the car up a lot. The feel of the car is 100% improved, the suspension use to feel too harsh over bumps as if the suspension where crashing into them instead of absorbing the shock. Now it feels like the suspension is actually working. I also noticed that the gab at the top of the window toward the rear does not flex nearly as much as it use to while driving down the hwy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Mar 28 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

This is a common problem that is caused by not fitting the kit properly and/or welding too much or too much in one area.

The key is to grind the body and the kit until it fits PERFECT with no gaps. It takes a little trimming here and there as the kit actually fits too close. NO GAPS!!!!

Use big C clamps top to bottom and jamb a couple of 2x4's across the middle to hold everything snug. Weld a hole front, rear, top, bottom always going to opposite ends. Repeat. Don't weld the edges except for a couple of 1" beads here and there. I used this method and my doors fit perfect when done.

It's a nicely made kit and makes a noticeable difference but needs to be installed carefully
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 28 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

You will have to cut and reweld to fix it. Put a jack under the rear door gap and cut a vertical line in the kit right above the jack. You should be able to raise the jack then and make the gap correct. Brace the door and reweld the cut you made. Weld a little at a time and let it cool between passes. Thsi should get it real close.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:39 PM