Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mega squirt???, just kicking around
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,022

I am suspecting the pressure sensor is bad in the $hit box. With that thing getting harder and harder to find I was thinking MS might be the way to go.

It seems that the money part is pretty close and reading the archives I think I have accses to everything I need.

I just wanted some opinions, pro's and con's, etc...

what do you guy's think??

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 27 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

With language like that you dont deserve the privilege of owning a 914. Come on man, show some respect... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
yarin
post Mar 27 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #3

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Do a search on megasquirt and you'll find a good amount of ppl on here with successful installs.

I guess for the purpose of this thread we are comparing replacing an MPS with going to MS.

PROs:

custom standalone engine management - it just sounds cool, bragging rights
education - you will learn more about engine mangement here than you would have ever thought
power - with enough dyno time and full spark control you shuold be able to squeeze out a few ponies, especially coming from a problematic FI system
save $$ - if you are converting from stock FI you already have most of the parts. expect to buy the following parts: MS II V.3.0, relay board, stim, relay cable. about $430 done right plus extras. Innovative LC-1 WB02 sensor ($199 with sensor)

CONS:
time
patience
stupidity risk during build and tuning. in the most extreme case it is possible to destroy your engine if you rush things or make the worst mistakes.

good luck
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 27 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The chief downside is you have to do a fair bit of rewiring to use MS. The stock MS enclosure isn't waterproof, so you have to mount it in the cabin or get creative. Do NOT mount it in the rear trunk, as the trunk gets too hot. If you've never dealt with EFI much, there's a non-trivial learning curve to getting MS to work well.

The benefits are: no more MPS, and tunability. If you're happy with the stock engine, then the latter is fairly unimportant. The former, however, is getting more and more important as the supply of MPSes gets smaller. If someone manages to start making replacement parts for it, then even the MPS advantage disappears.

It's not yet been proven, but I also suspect the D-Jet system isn't optimal, and you may be able to get a much more efficient tune using MS.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 27 2006, 09:57 AM)
With language like that you dont deserve the privilege of owning a 914. Come on man, show some respect... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

sorry if I offended you, I have total respect. The car was a $hit box when I got it and the nickname stuck.

I actually enjoy and respect the car very much. The fact that I was able to take a POS and turn it into a daily driver is a wonderful thing.

sorry, no disrespect meant to anyone
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Mar 27 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,663

That was the name of one of my old cars. A blue Geo metro that was running on 1&1/2 cylinders(burnt valves). I HATED that car. I would rutinely sit at stop lights and day dream about reving it till the engine blew! That myfriend, was a $hit box!
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 27 2006, 10:22 AM)
The chief downside is you have to do a fair bit of rewiring to use MS. The stock MS enclosure isn't waterproof, so you have to mount it in the cabin or get creative. Do NOT mount it in the rear trunk, as the trunk gets too hot. If you've never dealt with EFI much, there's a non-trivial learning curve to getting MS to work well.

The benefits are: no more MPS, and tunability. If you're happy with the stock engine, then the latter is fairly unimportant. The former, however, is getting more and more important as the supply of MPSes gets smaller. If someone manages to start making replacement parts for it, then even the MPS advantage disappears.

It's not yet been proven, but I also suspect the D-Jet system isn't optimal, and you may be able to get a much more efficient tune using MS.

this will go on a stock 1.7 and eventually a 2.0. The stock FI is fine but knowing that the MPS availability is dwindling I think it is a excelent option in the long run. I do plan on keeping the car (S box)for a while as I enjoy driving it.

The car is running right now so there are no time consraints. What is the first thing to start with?

currently I have:

2.0 air box/runners/T body
4 good 1.7 injectors
a working/rinning 1.7 FI system
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 27 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 27 2006, 02:03 PM)
The car is running right now so there are no time consraints. What is the first thing to start with?

currently I have:

4 good 1.7 injectors

spend the $12 per injector and get the 1.7 injectors tested (do a search here, it was discussed in the last few days)

what heads do you plan on running?

if 2.0 heads, keep the 2.0 parts....

if 1.7/1.8 heads, the 1.7 parts fit perfect, you can adapt the 2.0 plenum but it'll be off somewhat and the hoses are a tad different ID (1.8/2.0 intake pipes the same dia., but different shape)

+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 27 2006, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 27 2006, 02:03 PM)

currently I have:

4 good 1.7 injectors

spend the $12 per injector and get the 1.7 injectors tested (do a search here, it was discussed in the last few days)

what heads do you plan on running?

if 2.0 heads, keep the 2.0 parts....

if 1.7/1.8 heads, the 1.7 parts fit perfect, you can adapt the 2.0 plenum but it'll be off somewhat and the hoses are a tad different ID (1.8/2.0 intake pipes the same dia., but different shape)

hey Mueller, I am glad you responded, I had seen in another thread you where able to do this for about $300

my plan is right now to do the 1.7 that is running. I just did the top end so I will be running it for a while. when I get the 2.0 together I was wanting to run all 2.0 stuff ecept the injectors, I read the 1.7's work better.

I am totaly open to all suggestions. I am not a performance guy, I want to make a reliable daily driver.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #10

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif) for Mueller

can I retro this to a 1.7?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 27 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 27 2006, 05:07 PM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif) for Mueller

yep.....you'll want to get 1.8 runners to match the 1.7 heads....1.7 runners will work, it's just a matter of getting the little hose between the plenum and the runners to fit/seal
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 27 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #12

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I have 2 1.7L mps's...one is NOS.

if you give me 35 bucks + shipping, i'll box it and send it to you.

b
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 27 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 27 2006, 07:38 PM)
I have 2 1.7L mps's...one is NOS.

if you give me 35 bucks + shipping, i'll box it and send it to you.

b

NOS ??? as in New Old Stock never used and brand new ???

you'd be on crack to sell it that cheap if it's for real (and correct)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 27 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #14

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

a member here had one sitting in a box in his desk for a long time.

I have two, the one up for sale is a *WORKING* mps with a good diaphragm.

b
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 27 2006, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 27 2006, 05:07 PM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)  for Mueller

yep.....you'll want to get 1.8 runners to match the 1.7 heads....1.7 runners will work, it's just a matter of getting the little hose between the plenum and the runners to fit/seal

will the 1.7 air box work?

I did a leakdown test on the MPS and it held good vac.. I found a vac. leak at the runner/ head gasket. I have just replaced the intake gasket(thick material) and wet sanded the runner surface on a peice of granite tile to get it flat. The leak is in the same place as before.

Is it possible for the runner to crack??

I still have a miss and hesitation between idle and 2500 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:39 PM