Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Quick post of the new Ponco Solstice, Miata move over babe!
Joe Ricard
post Mar 28 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #21

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

I should see about test driving one on a Autocross weekend. That will give it a real report.
My guess is : under powered pushes like a dump truck too soft suspension No trunk space?? how the hell can I carry race rubber????

Hey Rick if'n you buy it make sure they don't sneak a rainbow sticker on the rear bumper as you drive out. I hear that happens to all Miatas.

For that money and now trunck space why not get an Elise. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Mar 28 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #22

oldest member

From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Mar 28 2006, 07:42 AM)
Typical Pontiac/GM.  Funky styling, about 10 years behind the ball, shotty build quality, and poor resale.

They'll probably stick an LS2 in it and then kill it.  Can you say Fiero, 96 Impala SS, etc?

I'd pull for GM since I believe in American companies, but they're killing me with their designs and UAW woes.

It's a neat idea though... But, I'd rather have a Miata.

Tom

Another car taken out of the oven too soon "next year we will put the good engine and parts in it".... seems like GM never learns,time to get rid of Wagoner and put some smart car people in charge
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 28 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

This will be a future Cobra platform for the hot rodders. Mark my words. All the "off the shelf parts" from the factory to make this car real fast. Sure you can buy a Cobra ifen your Donald Trump, or Howard... ( (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) )Not many of us would feel comfortable written that Cobra chek, But as do it yourselfer, 914 guys, a Solstice with the future of Cobra level performance may cause some ink to flow.

I agree about the funky top, but I would build a hard top to replace that rag. This is an american car, fit and build quility are typical. Let's face it kids, our 914's aren't that good either. In stock form, the early cars were under powered, soft suspension, no sway bars, and fit and finish..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) We'd be right at home chasing the parts that fall off as we drive. (voltage reg. fell off my relay board once (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) )

The car looks too wide to be a BMW Z3 chick car. I may look into building a hard top for resale. The top is uglier than a mud fence.

Who say's they can't fit into one? What are you a giant? There's as much room as the 914...

I'm not in the market to replace the Alien, But the car grabbed the hot rodder in me. Nice to flex the creative brian muscles once and a while.
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Mar 28 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #24

oldest member

QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 28 2006, 10:27 AM)
This will be a future Cobra platform for the hot rodders. Mark my words. All the "off the shelf parts" from the factory to make this car real fast. Sure you can buy a Cobra ifen your Donald Trump, or Howard... ( (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) )Not many of us would feel comfortable written that Cobra chek, But as do it yourselfer, 914 guys, a Solstice with the future of Cobra level performance may cause some ink to flow.

I agree about the funky top, but I would build a hard top to replace that rag. This is an american car, fit and build quility are typical.  Let's face it kids, our 914's aren't that good either. In stock form, the early cars were under powered, soft suspension, no sway bars, and fit and finish..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)  We'd be right at home chasing the parts that fall off as we drive. (voltage reg. fell off my relay board once (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) )

The car looks too wide to be a BMW Z3 chick car. I may look into building a hard top for resale. The top is uglier than a mud fence.

Who say's they can't fit into one? What are you a giant? There's as much room as the 914...

I'm not in the market to replace the Alien, But the car grabbed the hot rodder in me. Nice to flex the creative brian muscles once and a while.

I know what you are saying but if you were in the market for a car of this type,right now,would you buy a Solstice? I sure as heck wouldn't especially with my wifes' experience with the last 2 GM vehicles that she owned and the awful local dealer she bought them from......needed to keep a box in the vehicles for the parts and trim that kept falling off what garbage.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 28 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

GM already has a removable hard top available. The new issue of Hot Rod magazine has started a build on a LS2 powered car.

Bob
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 28 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yep the LS2 is do-able, but I'd rather wait till summer and the 240-260HP turbo ecotech motor. Zoom!
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Mar 28 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #27

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

Nice lookin car, and great point Rick about the future "kit kar" platform. Nothing like having a mass produced "underachiever" with space for a SBC!
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 28 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #28

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 28 2006, 09:56 AM)
Nothing like having a mass produced "underachiever" with space for a SBC!

GM already did that. It was called the Fiero.
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Mar 28 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #29

oldest member

Who can say? GM may sell a ton of them....mediocrity knows no borders.....look at the Chevy Cavalier a real nothing that sold in the thousands.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 28 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #30

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Grassroots Motorsports magazine did a comparison with the Solstice and a Miata setup for AX. Both were on new Hoosiers so the tires weren't a factor and run at TireRacks test track. The Soltice did amazingly well compared to the Miata which had been modded by it's owner. They gave the win to the Miata but only by a small margin. I was impressed that GM could come out with a new car that was competitive with a well sorted car like the Miata. I think GM's poor history is clouding the opinions of a lot of people. The Solstice and Fiero really have nothing in common.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 28 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 28 2006, 08:28 AM)
The Solstice and Fiero really have nothing in common.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I wouldn't say the Solstice and the 914 have anything in common either.

More like the Bristol, and the Solstice future forward.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 28 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #32

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i'll be waiting to read the second sticker. the adjusted market value will be a joke. what was the out the door price rick?

k
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Mar 28 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #33

oldest member

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 28 2006, 12:37 PM)
i'll be waiting to read the second sticker. the adjusted market value will be a joke. what was the out the door price rick?

k

It was called Additional Dealer Markup at one time I guess dealers are using more sophisticated sleeze these days with AMV......People don't forget when they have been scewed ....Car dealers sure do live under a rock
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 28 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #34

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (pfierb @ Mar 28 2006, 07:29 AM)
....mediocrity knows no borders.....

Is that an original? If so it should go in the famous quotes thread. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
pfierb
post Mar 28 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #35

oldest member

QUOTE (jonwatts @ Mar 28 2006, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (pfierb @ Mar 28 2006, 07:29 AM)
....mediocrity knows no borders.....

Is that an original? If so it should go in the famous quotes thread. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

You caught me Famous Quotes thread thought I could get away with It.

Sincerely Yours Winston Churchill
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 28 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #36

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 28 2006, 08:37 AM)

k

Didn't really look, something like 19000.00 base, 25000.00 as shown, didn't pay much attension to that as I wasn't a buyer. But, under 25000.00 is a bargain these days as sports cars go. (ya right listen to me... Bargain.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) ) Got a pocket protector and a business card?
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 28 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #37

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I priced them out here, $21,600 with everything I wanted - no dealer screw you fees. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:12 AM