Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Finished new 914 cup holder X2, cheap and easy
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 27 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

The VW cup holder I ordered came in today. This cup holder was mentioned in another thread here recently. It fits in to the ashtray location on older VW. Well seems there is a bunch of different sizes depending on what type VW you have. I emailed them asking for dimenstion info on the part that slides into the ashtray mount but of course I haven't heard anything back. After asking for some VW ashyray measurements here and other VW club sites I ordered the late style type III cup holder. I knew it wasn't going to be wide enough but looked like it would fit inside the 914 ashtray shell.

I took an old ashtray I had here and removed the black front plate and metal flip up clip and holder. I then cut the front metal section and bent it down. Now the new cup holder fit inside the shell but was to thick to slide all the way back in the shell. I cut the end of the holder off (polyresin type board) and just used 4 wood screws to hold it to the ash tray shell. Works like a champ.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Fuctions like the old ashtray did, the ashtray shell is held in place buy the spring clip on top. Went for a high speed test drive with quick turns, never moved at all. It doesn't block the vent controls, slides back out of the way like the old ashtray did. I'm happy.

Photo with holder pushed all the way back to the dash.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:08 PM