Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> has anyone put a frame under the pan
drive-ability
post Mar 28 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

I thought I might ask, I know there are a lot of kits which attach to the inside and outside but they are just sheets. Has anyone seen a under pan type support set up? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
byndbad914
post Mar 28 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #2

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

nope, not that I am aware of - but actually another reason why I am going tube chassis - I am going to have a full length skid plate under the engine/trans combo in the car.

That said, you could easily fab something to mount to your engine cross bar, extend up to the firewall and mount at the firewall. For the back support, could probably drop some tubing down from the back cross support behind the engine. I was going to do this to my car as is, but then as stated above.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 28 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

i've seen/heard of people adding tubes to the internals of the longs ....not too much clearance under the car..of course the wasserpumper guys run lines under there so there is some room........
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 28 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

Doug Leggins has a parts car I was almost intrested in, that featured flat stock (really thick) that extended from the suspension console all the way up to the front somewhere past the long (not by his doing I think--a PO feature). Welded pretty good to the car, he drove it while everything else rusted away....

Last I heard it was at his house.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 28 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I had a parts car that had 2" heavy wall square tubing welded under the car as a support, didn't help.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 28 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,634

It depends on what sort of rigidity you seek. On a Bug convertible, there are reinforcements that run parallel to the long axis of the car, at the lateral sides of the pan, to make it more resistant to folding up. These are square section, perhaps 30 mm across. Whenever I get the car back, I will weld an "X" shaped brace connecting these two "longs".
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 28 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Tobra @ Mar 28 2006, 06:06 PM)
It depends on what sort of rigidity you seek. On a Bug convertible, there are reinforcements that run parallel to the long axis of the car, at the lateral sides of the pan, to make it more resistant to folding up. These are square section, perhaps 30 mm across. Whenever I get the car back, I will weld an "X" shaped brace connecting these two "longs".

sounds like the fix to help the "fox" bodied Mustang 5.0 chassis....
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 28 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,634

You can't twist a triangle, that is what I am thinking
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 28 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #9

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 28 2006, 03:34 PM)

That said, you could easily fab something to mount to your engine cross bar, extend up to the firewall and mount at the firewall.

Funny you mention this, we just put this exact thing in the trash. It was a homemade cross bar mount for a 6 engine two angled metal bars that ran to the fire wall...Tried to give it away and everyone just laughed at it..
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 28 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 28 2006, 06:34 PM)
nope, not that I am aware of - but actually another reason why I am going tube chassis - I am going to have a full length skid plate under the engine/trans combo in the car.

That said, you could easily fab something to mount to your engine cross bar, extend up to the firewall and mount at the firewall. For the back support, could probably drop some tubing down from the back cross support behind the engine. I was going to do this to my car as is, but then as stated above.

Good luck!

If you are going to put a complete skid plate under the engine and tranny, please think about where the hot air will go once it exits the engine tin.

Also, the transmission needs fresh air to keep cool as well.

Rich
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 28 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 28 2006, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 28 2006, 06:34 PM)

That said, you could easily fab something to mount to your engine cross bar, extend up to the firewall and mount at the firewall.  For the back support, could probably drop some tubing down from the back cross support behind the engine.  I was going to do this to my car as is, but then as stated above.

Good luck!

If you are going to put a complete skid plate under the engine and tranny, please think about where the hot air will go once it exits the engine tin.

Also, the transmission needs fresh air to keep cool as well.

Rich

He has a v8 and a dry sump tranny so that shouldn't be a problem (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 28 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #12

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

thanks Jim... info is correct, I have a dry sump system and will be adding a trans pump and a PWR oil cooler and trans cooler with integrated fans to the car. They will be in my hot little hands (hot because the money they will cost me will have been burning a hole apparently (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) this Friday.

But, that said, even if you don't have all of this but a regular V8 car, you could still skid plate underneath the trans and engine. there is still plenty of exposed area around the bottom of that car to get whatever air is available there. I don't think we are talking about completely skinning the underside of the car, just an oil pan skidplate. Maybe I misunderstood the original post.... wouldn't be the first time (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 28 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

It was something about flames in a pan..maybe frying eggs in a pan...I cant remember...

The skid marks under your rear...now thats more like it...

maybe twins..long skid marks to protect the oil so it wont hit the driveway???

R
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 28 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,782

I do see how some guys might just hack a peace of steel up and weld it in. There is room however looking at the body pan theres no real good places to attach it to. It would be a snap to make a box and "X" it , but securely attaching it to the body would be the most difficult part. Like welding a roll bar to tin foil (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 29 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (drive-ability @ Mar 28 2006, 03:25 PM)
Has anyone seen a under pan type support set up?

why? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:57 PM