Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MS fuel map setup, for stock 1.7
bd1308
post Apr 2 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #1

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

I have both a MS I and a MS II (coming soon).

The MS I needs *SOME* work, while the MS II is not assembled.

I need a 1.7 fuel map for a stock 1.7 engine.

Can I do spark with the MS I and have the MS control advance?

b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Apr 2 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 2 2006, 11:42 AM)
Can I do spark with the MS I and have the MS control advance?

b

Check out MSnExtra. You can run EDIS coils with the MSI, DNHunt has this setup.

I'd stick with fuel only and a stock distributor. Deal with one variable at a time, then move on.

If you are just doing fuel, you might want to consider a MSD igntion box to feed the MS a digital tach signal instead of an analog one (much cleaner).

Tom
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 2 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

You can do fuel and spark control with just an MS1, using the "extra" code. btw, the MS2 is just a replacement processor daughter board, and they ALL come assembled, as it's all surface-mount parts. It just plugs into the MS main board. MS1 = v1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.2, or 3.0 board with an HC08 processor. MS2 = v1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.2, or 3.0 board with an HC12 processor. If the "MS2" you're getting is a completely unassembled board with an MS2 processor board, then you only need that. The "MS1" that "needs work" can be left in the box unused.

The boards themselves are just revisions to include minor improvements until the v3.0 board, which includes two very significant changes: a better tach-input circuit that allows you to use a coil, a Hall-effect, or a VR sensor as a trigger much more reliably than previously, and without having to hack up the board to change types (just jumpers); and an on-board high-current transistor (VB921) to fire a coil directly. Previously, you needed something external like a GM HEI module or an MSD box to trigger the coil.

You need to go the the MSEFI board, download the extensive MS manuals, and spend a couple of hours reading them. All of your questions will be answered. The manuals are really good.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 2 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

The Ms1 that I have has 1.0.1 or 1.1, with a chip that has V20 on it. Version 2.0 ?

I dont know....

b
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 2 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The board is v1.0 or 1.1 (little diff), the firmware on the processor is v2.0.

There are basically three parts, each with a different version/type: board, processor, firmware. The firmware is the most complicated: for MS1, it's B&G v2.0, B&G v3.0, and many subvariations, including "MSnS-extra", which is the most recent, best developed, and pretty much the most widely used now. The MS2 firmware is entirely different.

The B&G firmware is basically fuel only, and the most basic. It's not really being developed anymore, but is very stable and simple.

MSnS-extra has 12x12 VE tables for fuel control, AFR target tables (hook up a wideband, set targets, and it tries to "self-tune" as you drive to reach a defined AFR), spark control with many options (including firing a single coil via a distributor, or firing two coils for wasted spark, or using EDIS), crank trigger wheel decoding (tach input and spark control), even a limited form of traction control. New versions of this are still coming out, but they're down to small tweaks now, as the firmware has basically reached the limits of the HC08 processor.

The MS2 firmware is still being devloped. It is good enough to use, but it still doesn't have all of the features of the extra code. It's most likely the MS2 you have coming is a v2.2 board with an MS2 daughterboard on it. You can download the most up-to-date MS2 firmware and install it. You can also take the processor out of the v1.0 board you have, download the extra code, and install that in the v2.2 board. So, you can have MS1 or MS2, your choice.

Just to get started, you can use the v1.0 board with the B&G software, wire it all up, and be fuel only to start with. Swapping that out with newer stuff is pretty easy, and maps can be moved from one to the other easily, so you can learn as you go. MegaTune will help you define an initial map, and you just start tweaking from there.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 3 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Britt

Spend sometime reading the MS site. I suspect you will inhale it.

Unless you have real issues with timing. I'd run MS Extra on the MS I and configure it to do only fuel for now. It's not likely that you will find a plug and play map. so, go buy a WBO2 so you can tune. The fuel map you develope with the MS I can be transferred to the MSII when you decide to convert.

Dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:11 PM