Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

327 Pages V « < 279 280 281 282 283 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> teener tuesday puget sound teeners, or whats going on in the pnw
sixnotfour
post Dec 16 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #5601

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

haha,,,its at 2 stations near me in UT...no city
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Dec 16 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #5602

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(98101 @ Dec 14 2017, 11:51 PM) *

I think they are salting the freeways in the Seattle area, so I'm not taking the 914 out much.

The famous John Walker had told me to check back with him mid-December, when he thought he might be less busy. So today I did. He did not literally say "F*ck you and your Dellorto-infected 914," but that's kind of how it felt. He was particularly turned off by the Dellorto carbs that came with my car, which I am not especially attached to myself.

John suggested Gerber Motorsports in Ballard might have time for me and my amature hod rod. So I went there, high-lift Web cam going "badabadabadabada."

I felt encouraged to see a beautiful 1973 914 for sale outside Gerber Motorsports. Inside the pristine shop (cleaner than the Swedish Hospital Emergency Room in downtown Seattle I visited last month for different reasons), I saw technicians working on late model Porsches up on fancy lifts. The shop manager apologized and explained that his technician with the most air-cooled experience had recently retired. They really didn't know what to do with my 1970 914. But they'd be willing to do a safety inspection. That's better than nothing, so I agreed to drop the car off next Tuesday for that.

This sounds like a complaint but it's not. Perhaps all 914 drivers today are nonconformists. This is the price we pay for not being boring. Still, I could use a local mentor so I don't screw this car up worse than it has been already.

I don't know how close you are to McChord Field but you could try Too Quicks German Auto Shop. When I asked them if they could help me tune my carbs I specifically asked if they could show me how to do it also. I haven't been able to take my car to them but they were open to doing what I asked only after the technician did a diagnostics on them and then tuning them before showing me.
+Quote Post
post Dec 18 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #5603

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495

Thanks for your help everyone. I have three appointments now:
  1. Tuesday (tomorrow) -- Gerber Motorsports in Ballard for safety inspection. This is about all I want them to do since their air-cooled expert retired. They said I could watch from a distance, but not participate due to insurance reasons.
  2. Thursday -- consultation with Chris Powell. They have a backlog of 914 work now, won't be able to actually touch my car for over a month. If I brought my car there, Chris would not actually be doing the work and it's iffy whether the technician(s) would let me observe.
  3. Boxing Day -- Franklin's VW Werks to inspect and synchronize the carbs. They seemed more flexible with letting me learn from them.

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Dec 16 2017, 10:39 AM) *

I'm surprised by that response. I thought that John was known for working on the older cars.

He had at least one 911 in the shop when I saw him. While he seemed to feel bad for turning me away, he said "I don't usually work on 914s. Maybe if it was a stocker...." Previous time he expressed his opinion that Dellortos are a pain in the ass. I can't blame him since I also own a business and the same day turned away work that I didn't want to do because it would involve flying to Florida.

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Dec 16 2017, 10:39 AM) *

If you're willing to make the trip to the east side, you might check with Chris Powell. He definitely works on the early air cooled cars. Don't recall seeing any 914s in his shop, but I'm sure his team is capable.

The service manager told me they hadn't seen a 914 in years, and now all of a sudden they have a bunch of them in their queue.

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 16 2017, 05:32 PM) *

I don't know how close you are to McChord Field but you could try Too Quicks German Auto Shop. When I asked them if they could help me tune my carbs I specifically asked if they could show me how to do it also. I haven't been able to take my car to them but they were open to doing what I asked only after the technician did a diagnostics on them and then tuning them before showing me.

That does sound perfect. I didn't call them because I'm pretty far away here in Seattle and reluctant to expose what's left of the car to too much rain.

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Dec 16 2017, 04:34 PM) *

The weber carbs on my 914 cough and sputter a lot at idle and part throttle ... but run GREAT at WOT. I'm happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've got (in my opinion) good idle, good WOT (those rare moments I can use it), and lousy part throttle. Right off the stops, it feels like the carbs disagree with each other. The previous owner did a lot of things strangely, so I'm hoping it will be possible to improve at least a little. I'm also going to put in a 123 Ignition distributor because I want to fiddle with the ignition timing. Oh, and the fuel tank overflow some previous owner left off... spilling gas everywhere.

+Quote Post
post Dec 19 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #5604

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(98101 @ Dec 18 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Thanks for your help everyone. I have three appointments now:
  1. Tuesday (tomorrow) -- Gerber Motorsports in Ballard for safety inspection. This is about all I want them to do since their air-cooled expert retired. They said I could watch from a distance, but not participate due to insurance reasons.

So here's what that looked like. There are some things on their list that I didn't know about. I marked the ones I think should be handled immediately in red. Feel free to let me know if you agree or disagree.

One issue they didn't notice: the fuel overflow tank and charcoal canister are missing. I've ordered those parts from a list member.

While I'd like to learn how to work on this myself, I'm thinking I should have them (or some other real mechanic) fix the safety-related things. Unlike Chris Powell's shop, they seem to have availability next week. They recommended using a VW shop (so Franklin's VW Werks I guess) for the bluetooth distributor and carburetor tuning, but were willing to do most of the other stuff.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Question: Would you guys prefer I start a thread just for the stuff I do on this car? While I'm hoping to connect with other locals, I don't want to hijack this thread.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 1 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #5605

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

There's a new cars and coffee group and their having a meet on Saturday ( the 6th at Pacific Raceways. Times are 10-2 and they plan to have a coffee shop set up for those who don't bring their own. It a free event and a diverse group of cars. The weatherman says rain but who knows.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 2 2018, 01:00 AM
Post #5606

Member No.: 1,323

QUOTE(98101 @ Dec 19 2017, 04:23 PM) *

Question: Would you guys prefer I start a thread just for the stuff I do on this car? While I'm hoping to connect with other locals, I don't want to hijack this thread.

I would say "Yes". Everyone on the forum likes to follow along when someone is working on their car and you'll get lots of good input from others that might not be in this area.

I thought of another shop you could contact: Matt's Greenwood Auto Care. They do not specialize in Porsches, but they do sponsor and maintain a 914 and 944 that run in the PCA autocross series.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 2 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #5607

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 1 2018, 04:21 PM) *

There's a new cars and coffee group and their having a meet on Saturday ( the 6th at Pacific Raceways. Times are 10-2 and they plan to have a coffee shop set up for those who don't bring their own. It a free event and a diverse group of cars. The weatherman says rain but who knows.

I definitely won't have the 914 out on Saturday as the fuel injection system is all apart. But I might run over in the Mini to check it out. It would be nice to get a C&C event started in our area; Redmond and Tacoma are long hauls from Maple Valley.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Jan 2 2018, 07:33 AM
Post #5608

Member No.: 9,867

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 2 2018, 02:04 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 1 2018, 04:21 PM) *

I definitely won't have the 914 out on Saturday as the fuel injection system is all apart. But I might run over in the Mini to check it out. It would be nice to get a C&C event started in our area; Redmond and Tacoma are long hauls from Maple Valley.

I’m in Graham and I would be down for a C & C meet up at a place that is convenient for as many people as possible in this region of WA
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 2 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #5609

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Maple valley is a long haul from Tacoma and Redmond with no direct route. No heat exchangers? A long, COLD, haul....
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 2 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #5610

Yeah, great place to be once you’re there. But my commute to Kirkland is not fun. I console myself by talking to me neighbor who commutes to Mukilteo.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 2 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #5611

914 Guru

CORRECTION!

The cars & Coffee is on Jan 13, not this weekend. I should have double checked before I spoke
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 5 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #5612

Thanks for the update. It would have been cold and lonely out there tomorrow by myself. :-)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 5 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #5613

914 Guru

There’s an event at Griotts tomorrow but this weather sucks
+Quote Post
post Feb 13 2018, 03:37 AM
Post #5614

Michael in Seattle

I meant to post a followup about Seattle-vicinity mechanics. I'll repost photos I've put up before for context.

As you may recall, after I got my car but it was running badly I dropped by John Walker's shop twice and was sent away because he doesn't usually work on 914s, and especially didn't want anything to do with my Dellorto carbs. Then I went to Gerber Motorsport in Magnolia and got excited because there was a 914 parked outside. It turned out to be a car for sale, not one they were working on. They were willing to do some stuff on the car, but didn't want to touch the Type 4 engine. They did point out that one or both carburetors seemed to be leaking fuel. Also the engine and probably transmission were leaking so much they couldn't tell where the leaks originated.

PanelBilly suggested Franklin's VW Werks in Kent. Franklin looked at my car and immediately pointed out some issues I didn't know about: milky condensation in my oil filler suggesting I wasn't getting the oil hot enough, and worn out hex bar linkage ... explaining why I was having so much trouble synccing the carbs. He suggested ordering a CSP linkage online. One thing I liked about Franklin's is that he let me do the work with him. I hate that most mechanics don't let me see what's going on with my own car. While I was there we dropped in the 123 Bluetooth distributor I wanted to fiddle with. Franklin seemed to have an intuitive sense for air-cooled motors.

When the CSP linkage arrived I installed it myself and synchronized it perfectly, and also tried to clean up the carbs a bit while they were off the manifold. In the process, I noticed the vacuum ports were wide open, not internally sealed as I'd thought.
Attached Image

But even with those closed off, the car ran even worse than before! Also I noticed a large discrepancy between two throats on the same carb, which could have been a bent throttle plate. Here it is at idle, though it was proportionally worse at speed.
Attached Image

So I drove it back to Franklin's, coughing and backfiring all the way. Franklin did everything he could think of, short of disassembling the carbs. We even tried the old 009 distributor. But the problem persisted. I guess he usually sends carburetors to another shop that has a flow bench and stuff. He did have *another* pair of DRLA 45s on his shelf, new old stock without a scratch or a stain. Franklin and his assistant put those on to see what would happen. We were all tired by now, and they had skipped lunch.
Attached Image

Right away everything improved. It idled better than I'd ever heard it before! No way I wanted my old beat up bent throttle plate gas leaking carbs back after that. After calling CB Performance to ask what a good price would be for the Dellortos, he asked $750 for them, and I happily accepted. I'm 80% sure the old carbs could have been gotten working, but wanted the shiny new ones.
+Quote Post
post Feb 13 2018, 03:47 AM
Post #5615

Michael in Seattle

Fast forward a month or so: a thief ripped out the custom center console a previous owner had built, one of the features that charmed me -- as well as the crazy assortment of unnecessary gauges. This left my heater controls dangling because they'd been relocated there.

I'm not going to post those photos again because I've gotten enough sympathy. But I would like to know who you'd recommend for interior restoration work?

The car is currently at Chris's German Auto. But Chris said they don't do interior restoration. It's something I'd probably like to learn to do myself except that I've got a business to run and two small children I'd like to spend time with before they outgrow me.
+Quote Post
post Feb 13 2018, 03:57 AM
Post #5616

Michael in Seattle

Sorry... one more post. Here are the cars I saw outside Chris's German Auto today. The Phoenix Red looked better in person than these photos.

Are these owned by forum members?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Ignition on the left side, Like A Real Porsche:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stewie
post Feb 13 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #5617

Member No.: 21,883

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 13 2018, 03:57 AM) *

Sorry... one more post. Here are the cars I saw outside Chris's German Auto today. The Phoenix Red looked better in person than these photos.

Are these owned by forum members?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Ignition on the left side, Like A Real Porsche:
Attached Image

That's one cool shop.
Is the green 914 for sale by any chance?
+Quote Post
piscean914
post Feb 13 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #5618

Member No.: 1,637

i just posted this on the pnw pelican site -

Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in Issaquah

2018 Show Schedule - Music at all shows

Feb 11 11th ALL SWEDISH CRUISE IN 206-434-9482 9:00 am

March 11 VW Family Cruise Meet 253-841-2037 9:00 am

March 18 CUSTOM 4X4 RIGS 206-356-1505 9:00 am

Apr 1 ALL JEEP SHOW 206-356-1505 9:00 am

Apr 8 VINTAGE MILITARY VEHICLES 206-719-7267
9:00 am

Apr 15 ALL ITALIAN SHOW 360-731-8758 9:00 am

Apr 22 ALL PORSCHE SHOW 425-647-3739

Apr 29 Northwest C10s Classic Truck Show 425-xxx-xxxx
10:00 am

May 6 Issaquah Spring Electric Vehicles 253-xxx-xxxx

May 13 Sunset Hwy Cruisers Spring Opener 425-766-3514 9:00 am

May 20 Pre-1970 Vintage Travel Trailers 425-xxx-xxxx 8:00 am

May 27 BMW's & BURGERS 425-644-1446 9:00 am

June 3 CONVERTIBLES ONLY CAR SHOW 206-282-5603 10:00 am

June 10 FENDERS & FINS 206-349-3467 8:00 am

June 17 FENDERS ON FRONT STREET 425-391-1112 9:00 am

June 24 CADILLAC & LaSALLE 206-799-6585 8:00 am

July 1 NW HOTROD HALL of FAME SHOW 206-948-2063 9:00 am

July 3 All Ford Meeting @ 6 pm 206-xxx-xxxx 9:00 am

July 8 Rat Bastards Rat Rod Show 206-xxx-xxxx
6:00 pm

July 15 ALL CAMARO SHOW 206-948-2063 8:00 am

July 22 ALL MOPAR MEET & GREET 253-273-6037 8:00 am

July 29 CLASSIC SWAGGER CAR SHOW 206-949-0476 9:00 am

Aug 5 OLD RIDES (Roger Jackson) CLASSIC 206-214-8318 9:00 am

Aug 6 MIATA CLUB (MEETING) 360-631-1854
6:00 pm

Aug 12 NW GTO LEGENDS MUSCLE CARS 206-243-3390
8:00 am

Aug 19 Tri-5 Chevy Show (Guest-Dennis Gage) 206-xxx-xxxx

Aug 26 CORVETTE MARQUE CLUB SEATTLE VETTE SHOW 206-478-2346

Aug 26 VCCA Meeting @ 6 pm 206-xxx-xxxx

Sept 2 Olds Club of America Show (Buick/Pontiac) 360-xxx-xxxx

Sept 9 Serve First Feed the Children Car Show 425-xxx-xxxx

Sept 16 NATIONAL DRIVE ELECTRIC WEEK SHOW 310-926-9070 9:00 am

Sept 23 V.W. FALL FLING 253-841-2037 10:00 am

Oct 14 MAGNUM ,CHARGERS, CHALLENGERS-300's 253-273-6037
10:00 am

Oct 27 PT CRUISERS PUMPKIN BASH 253-221-0719 10:00 am

Dec 2 17th JINGLE BELL CRUZ/TOYS 4 TOTS 425-766-3514 10:00 am
+Quote Post
mankowski
post Feb 13 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #5619

Member No.: 11,335

I'm looking to contact the owner of a black 914 who lived in Kirkland, WA in the early-mid '80s. I've been on this forum for a few years, but only just now thought to ask and see if he is here too, or if anyone knows of him. I think his name was Doug.

When I was a 16 year old kid just learning mechanics, he helped me with body work and other repairs on my first car -- a '73 Capri. He gave me a ride one night in his black 914 with the targa off, which was really cool for me. I had admired 914s for years as a kid, so it was really cool to get to ride in one! As it turned out, this was my only ride in one, until finally buying one 25 years later...

Doug, if you are out there, thanks for all your help with my Capri, and teaching me some of the foundation of my mechanic skills! Would love to say hi and hear from you...
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 13 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #5620

Member No.: 14,145

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 13 2018, 01:47 AM) *

Fast forward a month or so: a thief ripped out the custom center console a previous owner had built, one of the features that charmed me -- as well as the crazy assortment of unnecessary gauges. This left my heater controls dangling because they'd been relocated there.

I'm not going to post those photos again because I've gotten enough sympathy. But I would like to know who you'd recommend for interior restoration work?

The car is currently at Chris's German Auto. But Chris said they don't do interior restoration. It's something I'd probably like to learn to do myself except that I've got a business to run and two small children I'd like to spend time with before they outgrow me.

Steve Shepp at Classic Interior Restorations (Ballard) does phenomenal work, has a great reputation, and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Unfortunately, he hasn't been doing well healthwise and he may not be running the shop anymore, so I cannot give a full-on endorsement. I'd give them a call to find out who's running the show now, and ask a few of the better local paint shops who they'd recommend.

- MR
+Quote Post

327 Pages V « < 279 280 281 282 283 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:29 AM