Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

327 Pages V « < 282 283 284 285 286 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> teener tuesday puget sound teeners, or whats going on in the pnw
rhodyguy
post Mar 5 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #5661

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) see you @ 9:30. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) do you have a FW lock for removing the bolts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 5 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #5662

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 5 2018, 07:35 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) see you @ 9:30. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) do you have a FW lock for removing the bolts?

I've got a homemade one. If you've got the real deal, bring it along.
+Quote Post
post Mar 9 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #5663

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495

I got my car back from Chris’s German Auto without any repairs done, as they seem to be extremely busy. I was hoping they’d at least replace the door lock cores with the replacements I supplied, but not even that happened. If any shade tree mechanics would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash. Suggesting Saturday so as not to conflict with the tranny party Sunday.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 9 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #5664

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What part of the lock assems need replacing? Do you have the parts they were to install in hand? Bring your car, the weather will be swell.
+Quote Post
914work
post Mar 9 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #5665

Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 06:35 PM) *

If any would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash.

Ive made a couple offers now....? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Mar 9 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #5666

Member No.: 9,867

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 09:35 PM) *

I got my car back from Chris’s German Auto without any repairs done, as they seem to be extremely busy. I was hoping they’d at least replace the door lock cores with the replacements I supplied, but not even that happened. If any shade tree mechanics would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash. Suggesting Saturday so as not to conflict with the tranny party Sunday.

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it? I'm sure that their will be plenty of people available that can give a hand.
+Quote Post
post Mar 9 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #5667

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:11 PM) *

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it?

I've been planning to attend that, and now there's a minor medical problem in my family that may (possibly) prevent that. Also I didn't want to distract people from the main event.
+Quote Post
post Mar 9 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #5668

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 9 2018, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 06:35 PM) *

If any would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash.

Ive made a couple offers now....? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks! PM sent!
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Mar 9 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #5669

Member No.: 9,867

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:11 PM) *

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it?

I've been planning to attend that, and now there's a minor medical problem in my family that may (possibly) prevent that. Also I didn't want to distract people from the main event.

Understandable about the family event. The tranny being removed is actually quite simple and doesn't take many hands. So any extra could help with your locks.
+Quote Post
post Mar 10 2018, 11:03 PM
Post #5670

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:18 PM) *

Understandable about the family event. The tranny being removed is actually quite simple and doesn't take many hands. So any extra could help with your locks.

914werke/Rich got the locks working well enough to secure the car (as much as a 914 can be secured). Also found the first clues of possible extensive rust that had eluded the eyes of those not familiar with 914s.

Still hoping to appear tomorrow. It will be later so I can let my wife sleep in while I’m taking care of our little girls.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 15 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #5671

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Just some photos of last Sunday's fun

What am I looking at?

Attached Image

And some evidence that this car needs to see some road time

Attached Image

And you can see that the car is serving a worthy purpose (as a spider's home!)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
post Mar 21 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #5672

Michael in Seattle

I've been assuming I need to do something about my oil leaks (and even bought a rear main seal from GoWesty) because the bottom of the car is wet and you can smell it cooking on the exhaust. But then I realized I've got 10W-30 oil in the crankcase because the previous owner in California chose this for engine break in. Searching the archives here seems to suggest a straight weight oil might be better for the Type 4. So maybe it's leaking so much just because it's such thin oil?

I'm curious what oil other people in my region are using, since the advice here might be different from SoCal. So far I don't seem to get oil temps above 80C (176F).

Incidentally, I saw TWO other 914 owners on my way to the upholstery shop in Kingston today. One was a green or yellow car that zipped by in my peripheral vision somewhere around Edmonds. Another was a younger guy named Eric who noticed my none-more-black car parked near a playground I took my daughter to next to the Kingston Community Center.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=643
648]

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
post Mar 21 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #5673

Member No.: 12,150

Looks like the push rod tube seals. Very common. When you replace them ask for the better quality Viton seals which should buy you a little time before you have to replace them again.
+Quote Post
post Mar 22 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #5674

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Mar 21 2018, 08:26 PM) *

Looks like the push rod tube seals. Very common. When you replace them ask for the better quality Viton seals which should buy you a little time before you have to replace them again.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's one source of the leaks. I'm wondering whether it's actually kind of expected given the thin break-in oil I've got, which is why I'm asking what other people in this region are running.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Mar 22 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #5675

Member No.: 20,499

I'm running Valvoline VR-1 Racing 20w-50w in my '74 CanAm LE with a stock FI 2.0 motor. It's around the highest zinc content oil commonly found at an auto parts store.

The other '74 914 with an '87 3.2L Carrera motor gets by on Swepco 306, also 20w-50w.

We live in a mild climate so we don't get the temperature extremes some areas have. Both cars started easily in our last freezing.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Mar 23 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #5676

Member No.: 1,323

Unfortunately I don't think that much oil is from using a thinner viscosity. I agree with Mr. Olympic's assessment: you need to replace those push rod tube seals ASAP. Its a shame that a fresh build motor is leaking already, but the good news is that you can replace them before you end up with years of grime under the car. What's there should clean up pretty easily.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 27 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #5677

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 23 2018, 08:56 PM) *

Unfortunately I don't think that much oil is from using a thinner viscosity. I agree with Mr. Olympic's assessment: you need to replace those push rod tube seals ASAP. Its a shame that a fresh build motor is leaking already, but the good news is that you can replace them before you end up with years of grime under the car. What's there should clean up pretty easily.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Fairly easy job to do at least.
+Quote Post
post Mar 27 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #5678

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 23 2018, 08:56 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The clutch is slipping intermittently, possibly due to contamination. So, yeah, I'd like to get the leaking down to whatever the normal amount is before risking ruining another clutch.

Today the car is at the Kingston upholstery shop for a new center deposit box / console and stuff, then planning to visit Rich/914werke in a couple days to pull the rocker panels and see whether the rust is as bad as everyone's predicting.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 12 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #5679

914 Guru

Installing heat exchangers has turned out to be a bigger job than I had imagined. First off removing the old headers was a pain. One of the nuts is in a spot that required two different wrenches to turn. Tiny turn with one wrench, then switch to the other one for another tiny turn and repeat. I was glad to finely get it off.

When I did my trial fit of the HEs I found out that the oil lines that cleared the headers didn’t clear the larger heater boxes. Now I’m working on engineering new lines. Fortunately I found a shop in Kent where I can get custom lines made.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 14 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #5680

914 Guru

Got the barrel nuts in the mail last night. Now I need to buy an Allen wrench long enough to reach thru the heat exchangers. Crawling under that car is getting harder every year. Wish I had room for a real lift.
+Quote Post

327 Pages V « < 282 283 284 285 286 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:59 AM