Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fritz vs the Viper Club, In car video
nocones
post Apr 3 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #21

Sportscar lunatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,220

Very cool Bill. Fritz sounds excellent! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I loved riding at BW, though, it looks a lot faster from a bike. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Prolly just me though.
Counter-clockwise is a trip! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 3 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #22

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

The Panoz coupes have 351 crate motors with a big carb. The roadsters were using the 4.6L Cobra motors Double overhead cam 300hp.
I have a buddy that raced one (coupe) with SCCA for several years.
tube framed, solid rear end. He raced it in a spec Panoz class for 2 years and then converted it to a GT1 car. 351 was stroked and was putting out like 450+HP. Car was flared with huge slicks and 6 piston brembo brakes.
Very fast....
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 3 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #23

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

awesome video! Must be so fun to dust modern cars.....
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Apr 3 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #24

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (nine14cats @ Apr 2 2006, 10:37 PM)
You know...for whatever reason I like running BW counter clockwise...seems to flow more for me.

Bill, I have only been clockwise on that track, and after watching the link counter-clockwise, I was going to reply saying basically the same thing you did here - the track seems to flow better that direction. Going clockwise into the front straight, that turn is brutal and typical for off-track excursions or someone trying to hold on and hitting the front retaining wall. Also, I forget what they call that little hill that you go up and over after you came through the esses and made the big bend, but that is pretty hard to make going clockwise as the drop is significant and the turn at the bottom - going ccw you go over the top and there is a nice longer, more gradual bend to drive through.

I think next time my friends and I rent that track out, I am going to lobby for CCW! Nice vid btw.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 3 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #25

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

Both turns at the ends of the main straight are tough. Going CCW with GGR TT series, we have bent more cars going this direction at the main straight wall leading onto the straight. Problably 3or 4-1 difference in bent cars going CCW. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Both directions have their +s and -s. I prefer going into the esses in the CW direction after star mazda. But I prefer coming off the Nascar turn and into the bus stop in the CCW direction.

Over the years we have run it probably a fairly even number of times CCW and CW.
Problem with BW is the surface takes such a beating in the summer that many of the turns are pretty rough. They repave portions often but the heat really takes it's toll. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
marks914
post Apr 4 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,912

Awesome!
Alot of guys here at work have Vipers and I love the look on their faces when I go by them in my car.

$8,000 vs $70,000

HA!

Mark
+Quote Post
race914
post Apr 4 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #27

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

I talked to Hank Watts and he is going to run one day CW and the other CCW at the April 14-15 Buttonwillow DE

Nice lap Bill! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

See you at BW
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 4 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #28

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Hi Greg,

Thanks for finding out about the direction configuration. I like the idea of getting to run both directions over the weekend. Can't wait to see everyone!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 4 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Problem with BW is the surface takes such a beating in the summer that many of the turns are pretty rough

Last time I was there I measured the surface temperature at 135 degrees with my pyrometer. No wonder the place looks beat up.

As to CCW or CW I'll take CW as the momentum you can carry over that high right hander before the stright proceeding the Mazda turn is a kick. Definately an e ticket ride.

If I remember right a lot of people had 4 wheels off at BW; including me before I learned about a (very) late apex at the Mazda turn.

No fun having to talk to Larry Sharp after the second time off at the same place.

NOW THAT WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 4 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Nice Bill. Car sounds strong and runs well. Were you limited in passing? I heard a LOT of off the gas coasting, just wondering if they limited your passing in that group?

B
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 4 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #31

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Hi B,

Yeah, limited passing areas for the rungroups to make it easier on some of the newbies. Passing only on straights, no turns. Point by required. Once I was given the okay to run with the GT2 group I had open passing......on me! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/owned.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

There were alot of 4 wheel offs with the Viper Club. Borderline crazy. If you notice on the video, I took the strategy of coming up on a car, showing in his mirrors and then backing off until the passing zone, where I would set up for the pass.

What's funny about driving Firtz is just how easy it is to go fast. Even on the laps where I'm lifting and coasting I'm running laps as fast or faster than my fastest laps in our old car. And I'm nowhere near the limit.

Just a load of fun!

Bill P.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:32 PM