Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Volocity stack design considerations??, for my mickey mouse ITB's
dstar
post Apr 7 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,438
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE (Rick_Eberle @ Apr 5 2006, 04:12 PM)
Showing the slots...

I've been doing that to my Dell/IDF stacks for years.
Four cuts with a band saw and you're done.

It gives the reversion pulse an out, to keep from disturbing the
air flow that is already headed in the direction of the intake.

How does this idea work, you ask?
Physics folks, simple physics.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Don
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 7 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #42

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Slots in the base of the throttle-body air funnels (also known as velocity stacks) inside the airbox reduce intake pulses to smooth mid-range power delivery

taken from press release for 2003 GSX-R 1000

hmmm.....good excuse to get the "A" axis (4th) running on my mill (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
spunone
post Apr 7 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 1,901
Region Association: Southern California

Sample stack headed out today UPS have fun (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 7 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #44

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (spunone @ Apr 7 2006, 03:54 PM)
Sample stack headed out today UPS have fun (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

thanks...I'll post pics as soon as I get it....

+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Apr 7 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 1,335

Since I worked for Suzuki for 5 years, I thought I might comment on this particular situation.

Yes, the slot in the rubber velocity stack was to reduce the intake reversion on this model, The 2003 had different cams that caused some minor fuel distribution issues we worked out by doing this simple mod. It does not work in all applications. The intake port velocity on this engine is completely different than that of the 914 4/6engine. Also a GSXR1000 will regularly spin to 12,600 rpm. None of us ever will, or at least we will not have any straight valves after that.

This mod would be an R&D affair. For GSXR 1000 race engines I build, we remove these stacks and install a stack that is a touch shorter, with a 12mm rounded edge which increases flow and changes the torque peak. The stack is also void of all slots unlike the standard piece.

As far as 4D to determine the correct radius for the velocity stack bellmouth, this would be a good starting point, I checked some of the ones I have and they range from 3.5D to 5D. Interesting. I wish I could give you a reason why I arrrived at the sizing I did, but I don't.

This is one area we have not discussed, and I have a trial set for my next dyno run. I really think aircleaners are very important, But I have glued a upside down top shaped piece of plastic to the under side of the air box pointed towards the carb velocity stack. I am hoping to guide some more air into the carb without restricting it. Stole the idea from Buell motorcycles. We'll See!

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Apr 8 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 1,558

QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Apr 8 2006, 04:06 PM)
The intake port velocity on this engine is completely different than that of the 914 4/6engine. Also a GSXR1000 will regularly spin to 12,600 rpm. None of us ever will, or at least we will not have any straight valves after that.

Wouldn't a 2.0 turning at 6000RPM be moving a similar amount of air as a 1.0 at 12000RPM?
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Apr 9 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 1,335

Actually, No.

Volumetric efficiency of the GSXR vs the 914 engine is significantly different. The GSXR will make 172 hp at the countershaft whereas the 914 will make ? for a 2.0 to make 172, it would be a very well tuned 2.0 liter. But to put things in a cc/hp perspective, a 2.0 liter 914 engine would make 344 hp to be an equal amount of HP per cylinder. However the frictional losses and thermal differences between these engines change everything. CC/airflow is a very difficult comparison. This is why they will take completely different set ups. Double the CC's would need double the carb size as well, if things were proportional, does anyone have any 84mm throttle bodies.

Erik
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Apr 9 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Apr 10 2006, 01:56 AM)
does anyone have any 84mm throttle bodies.

If they did, I bet the type 1 guys would buy 'em! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Apr 10 2006, 04:02 AM
Post #49

QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Apr 10 2006, 01:56 AM)
Double the CC's would need double the carb size as well, if things were proportional, does anyone have any 84mm throttle bodies.

Hang on a minute, that would be true if the RPMs were the same, but at half RPMs, the size would be the same (assuming of course that the state of tune was similar, which maybe Jake could do, but not me). Also, an 84mm tb is four times the size of a 42mm. Double the size would be around 59.5mm. It's the intake area that matters, isn't it?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:37 PM