Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> One or Two GT3 seats for neo914-6?, need designer's or aesthetic advise...
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

The drivers seat is mounted, just not sure the fixed passenger seat idea can "work". I can reshape the bottom and backrest to match but the shoulder support and headrest protrude.

The Audi dash shape will match the headrest and the door panels are reshaped as well.

Two seats will have symetry but not at the dash. They will reduce the need for back padding if any but then it will look less "production". This is why I removed the cage and opted for the hidden Engman reinforcements. Making harnesses look "factory" is also a detail challenge...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
neo914-6
post Apr 7 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #2

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Apr 7 2006, 01:31 PM)
When I read the tagline for the thread, my first thought whether the GT3 seats could look good in a 914 and my second thought was that if they could it would have to be both.

Then I saw your sketch.

I really LIKE the single GT3 seat -- because it mimics the 914's original concept of being a simple lightweight sports car focused on the driver and little else....a pretty hardcore concept that was diluted somewhat for the 1972 model year for what most (myself included) would consider a real improvement.

Still, I think your sketch and idea is AWESOME because it captures the essence of the 1969/1970 914's original concept and modernizes it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

All that said, AARon picks up the only fatal flaw I see -- the round-top headrest looks out of place with the 914 targa bar.

A simple fix: have a good upholstery shop flatten the top of the headrest, make the flat spot maybe five or six inches wide. Then I think it would look sweet!

pete

Thanks Pete and all, unfortunately the sketch only shows one view and details of the design.

Yes the fixed passenger seat was/is a unique idea and I wanted to preserve that with a seat that doesn't lift you off the floor much. Most of the aftermarket competition buckets don't aesthetically "fit" the 914 except the ones that have adapted the stock headrest. I like Siverson's solution of integrating buckets without headrests but wanted to highlight the importance of the drivers seat.

Having the headrest shape and flat targa band/rear window lines "work" is the obvious challenge. For one, the rear window will give way to a radiused shape at the inside corners (electric). The targa will be reformed with two head humps similar to the Lancia Ralley 036 breaking up the flatness while the top is on. Another plan is to use a harness bar similar to Joe Sharp's with double hoops. I made sketches of a fixed round passenger headrest and even considered late Bug semi-circular style but they didn't look right either.

The passenger seat will be bolstered a little more than stock and the harness should be sufficient.

Good idea on flattening the top, I hadn't thought of that... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:42 AM