Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dashboard reconstruction, What did they look like?
tracks914
post Sep 16 2003, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

Again I am suffering from rarely seeing an original 914. I am redoing my dash now but am not sure how it is supposed to look. I see in my AA catalog that you can buy a refinished radio plate but it is a separate piece of material(and steel) from the rest of the dash. (according to the picture) I was originally going to install the material right across the dash but now I am not sure that is the was it was intended to be.
I also would like to know the correct order to install all the switches. I have seen many different variations and configurations in pictures on the net but what was original?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
benny
post Sep 16 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 783

I'm not doing a restoration, but I have the book you need if you are. It's titled "914 and 914-6 Porsche A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" by Dr. B. Johnson. Published by Beeman Jorgensen, Inc. out of Indianapolis. I think I got it from Classic Motorbooks. ISBN 092975821

According to this book radios were dealer installed options, so there was a lot of variation
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 16 2003, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have an old radio plate if you want it. Its the "last one"..hehe

Geoff
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 16 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Welcome Benny.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (another bay area 914 guy)

Tracks:

Take the material all the way to the edge of the radio hole and wrap it around the steel plate (not the dash) Do this same thing on the other side of the radio hole and both sides of the glove box... the glove box door is the same way... wrap it around the steel plate and remount the steel plates with double sided 1/4 inch wide tape.

B
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Sep 17 2003, 06:53 PM
Post #5

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

So I guess what you are saying is that I have to remove both the metal plates, dash and radio separately, and the glove box door.
Then attach the new material to each one of those (wrapping it around to the back side of the plate) then re-attach the plates?
I can do that.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 17 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

You got it. The biggest hassle is getting the old sticky tape off. I used a razor blade and brake cleaner.

B
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 18 2003, 06:10 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i pulled the vinyl off to figure what i have to do paint the face. in the same catalog the 75' metal plate is a one piece as opposed to the 2 piece in the earlier cars (the separation is at the collum). will the later style work in my 73'? the piece where the radio is, is bent up from the po getting to eager while removing the cd player/radio. if the swap will work anybody got a good one laying around?

guess who has the best price on a replacement flex dam. not gpr, pp, auto motion, or performance parts.

kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:03 AM