Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minneapolis post purchase party? 4/29, Fly/drive or arrange delivery halfway
lotus_65
post Apr 24 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 24 2006, 12:54 AM) *

I'll Be there...to send off a choice 914 to the "Windy City"! I'll even caravan back with him as far as Roberts, WI (not far).

BIll

NICE!
that makes more than 5 + our guest and a couple of little bandits: it's a party.

anyone who wants to grab a little potato salad or chips too add to the table, feel free.
i'll have some beer and soda, along with a full grill.

good times~
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
akellym
post Apr 24 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #22

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Member No.: 2,395

Hey Rick,

If your going, maybe we can hook up on the way down?

Kelly
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(akellym @ Apr 24 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Hey Rick,

If your going, maybe we can hook up on the way down?

Kelly

I'll be in Michigan with Sandy. Top secret mission of the Alien kind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 26 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #24

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Apr 26 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #25

Dumb Question Champion

Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We got back from Canada without any hiccups. I drove the 530 miles from Niagara Falls straight through in around 8 hours, stopping only for gas and food. Nice "warm-up" for the shorter Minneapolis to Chicago drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). With my Cherokee's 15ish MPG, it was a little painful at the pump!

I am fuching excited about picking up my car and hooking up with members/non-members (which is it now?) in the area.

While I have arranged for the seller to get me at the airport, let me know if anyone would like to meet me at the airport in a 914 to head to get my car and caravan to Lotus_65's place. Not necessary in the least, but it might be fun.

I could probably use a couple phone numbers in the area. If you are willing, PM me.

I will be driving the car back, not trailering it. My intention was to get on the road Saturday evening driving straight through to Chicago, stopping overnight somewhere only if necessary. I guess that depends on what condition I and the 914 are in!

I have no idea what tools/parts might be needed. Hopefully few or none! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ... Heck, I don't even own a jack or jackstands yet! The only issues I'm aware of are:
  • Clutch may need adjustment.
  • Brakes may need to be bled.
  • Odometer not working.
  • Passenger door opens only from inside.
  • Surface rust under trunk carpet that I'll address this summer.
  • Missing 'H' from engine grill letters. I think it's chromed plastic on the '74's? If anyone has one to sell, that'd be swell. No biggie.
  • No rearview mirror on the passenger side door, so I'll be looking to install one of those at some point. I'd be happy to buy a spare if anyone has one.

Obviously most of that will not stop me from getting home. The sellers report that their VW mechanic did a tune-up and oil change last week. I'm not sure what was entailed in the tune-up.

I don't know if I need to register the car in IL before driving back, but I will have insurance taken care of before I leave for MN. (Anyone know about registration?)

I have to squeeze in another driver's ed session in my sis-in-law's manual '96 Neon in the next two days. Yes, I'll be driving the car back ~430 miles with a total of under an hour behind the wheel of a manual transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Should be interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Apr 26 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #26

Dumb Question Champion

Just got off the phone with Illinois DMV. The surprisingly friendly older gentleman that I spoke with said that the signed-over title and/or a bill of sale would be sufficient to drive it home. He then said "If you get pulled over, you just tell 'em to go straight to hell!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 26 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #27

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Dan I have most of the items if not all to repair the items listed with the exception of the odometer, that may just need the cable reattached.
If things look to difficult to do with a jack and jackstands my lift is available.

David
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Apr 26 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #28

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

After driving the car, I would say the only real things that need attention before the drive back are the clutch cable and the brakes. The clutch cable may have been adjusted when they did the tune up.

The steering wheel is a little bit goofy and that affects the turn signal cancelation. My guess is it just has to be re-oriented on the car...but I never drove the car at high speeds so I can't comment on how it tracks.

I thought it shifted pretty well...but then again I'm used to driving 914's...some other 914 drivers might have to give you some pointers.

The broken outside door handle actually has a cracked housing. I'm not exactly sure which part(s) will have to be changed but it's more than just the plastic slider.

I think the odometer is an internal problem (shaft slipping on the drive gear) because the spedometer was working (i'm not sure how accurate it was) while I drove around on side streets.

Keep practicing that manual! 914's are pretty easy to drive as they are very light and have a long clutch throw...but the shifting can be tricky for new drivers.

I have a set of NOS chrome metal engine letters...we can talk about them sometime.

You can get a brand new passenger side mirror from Porsche for around $100...might be your best bed.

Good luck! Sorry I can't be there but Paul has my cell # if you have any questions.
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Apr 26 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #29

Dumb Question Champion

Thanks for the extra details David. I'd forgotten all about the steering wheel thing!

I'm getting psyched!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 26 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #30

that's one guy who'll be missed at this gathering. for anyone who doesn't know (and lots of you do) dave-o is a really great young man. i won't get all mushy now, but he's been a ton of help to me. this is my first real chance to thank him publically, and tell all other 914 owners to look him up when you can.

...and kid can EAT! holy crap. where does it GO, man... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

as he knows all too well, my jackstands are currently being used. (i have 2 old crummy ones) maybe someone can throw a set in the trunk. i have a 27mm socket to readjust the steering wheel if that's needed, and i put out a feeler for a bleeder, but nothing on that yet.

i'll try and get a few feet of garage space opened up, but my engine might be coming home, so it could be a squeeze.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 26 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

OK, change of plans. I won't be traveling to MI this weekend. I am 85% sure Sandy and I will be at the BBQ! Were checking out a couple of cars in the metro. One of them may be at the BBQ also. So, pretty sure we'll see ya there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)
+Quote Post
akellym
post Apr 27 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #32

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Member No.: 2,395

What are the plans if it rains?
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 27 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(akellym @ Apr 27 2006, 12:06 PM) *

What are the plans if it rains?

we'll hang out in the garage/house i guess. i don't think bigd can reschedule, so we're stuck with spring in minnesota.

'could be worse you know. it could be snow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wreath.gif)
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Apr 27 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 4,937

hey dan ... I don't know if you will be tring to fix the outside door handle before you get it back to the chi-town area .. but if you need a replacement I have a few available --- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Apr 27 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #35

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 26 2006, 08:02 PM) *

that's one guy who'll be missed at this gathering. for anyone who doesn't know (and lots of you do) dave-o is a really great young man. i won't get all mushy now, but he's been a ton of help to me. this is my first real chance to thank him publically, and tell all other 914 owners to look him up when you can.

...and kid can EAT! holy crap. where does it GO, man... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Can we all have a collective 914club hug! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Paul, I'm happy to help...and don't forget that the meals I eat at your house are the only good meals I get all week! I'm sure everyone will love "Olive Al's" grilled vegetables.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

I hate to miss this one but there will be plenty of 914 mechanics to help Dan out. Rest assured that you're in good hands!
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Apr 27 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #36

Dumb Question Champion

Well my temporary proof of insurance arrived today... It refers to a 1.8L model and is valid from 2 Feb 2006 until 26 March 2006. Awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 28 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #37

this is getting good, we've got 7+ owners coming!

maybe someone can bring a shop manual jic.

psyched! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 28 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #38

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Being from the Robbinsdale area, I will be there in spirit. If you guys need anything, contact me. I live in the land of plenty as far as 914 parts are concerned...

Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 28 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #39

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

I will be bringing along my 20 year old son Oliver.
Oliver is Autistic so please dont be alarmed by his peculiarity, He his
a very nice young man and the biggest car lover you will ever meet.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Apr 28 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #40

Dumb Question Champion

I say the more the merrier. In that spirit I insist that Oliver bring his two friends along as well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 03:15 PM