Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painting black border on windshield, set-up time Any glass experts or BTDT
736conver
post Apr 14 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

Ok I was hoping to get my windshield put in this weekend. Before I put it in though I wanted to paint the black border to hide the urethane that holds the windsheild in. I am also using an aftermarket rubber seal to replace the aluminum trim.
I received the glass conditioner and paint today via fedex and it doesnt come with any information except dont wash for 10 days. Is that how long it takes to set up.
The conditoner and paint I am using is Delta surface conditioner.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/65/
I called their help line but of course they are closed. Any help?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 14 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(736conver @ Apr 14 2006, 01:26 PM) *

Ok I was hoping to get my windshield put in this weekend. Before I put it in though I wanted to paint the black border to hide the urethane that holds the windsheild in. I am also using an aftermarket rubber seal to replace the aluminum trim.
I received the glass conditioner and paint today via fedex and it doesnt come with any information except dont wash for 10 days. Is that how long it takes to set up.
The conditoner and paint I am using is Delta surface conditioner.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/65/
I called their help line but of course they are closed. Any help?

i don't remember the name of the product i used, but it was specifically for that purpose.

cleaned the glass really good, masked it off, painted with brush and let it sit for 24 hours ...
worked great, except, my windshield was used, not new and now you really see where the glass layers started to separate in some of the corners.

still waaaaaay better than looking at the ugly goo ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 14 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #3

neo life

Member No.: 159

Brian,

Here's the link with more info.

I will get what the pros use: Pinchweld by CR. Laurence made to work as a frit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Apr 14 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #4

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

Does the universal seal you are using have a chrome strip? ...or is it all black? I am looking for a source for a shiny one. I too destroyed by trim..
+Quote Post
736conver
post Apr 14 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Felix, thanks for the link. Thats the exact same stuff I have. I am surprised it takes ten days to cure. Better safe then sorry though
QUOTE(7T Porsha @ Apr 14 2006, 11:17 PM) *

Does the universal seal you are using have a chrome strip? ...or is it all black? I am looking for a source for a shiny one. I too destroyed by trim..

I have the plain black seal. There was a chrome strip one available but I didnt like the look of it. It had chrome in the middle with the black rubber on each side. It looked odd to me.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Apr 18 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Ok the stuff that I used sucked. It was really streaky after it dried. Windshield was cleaned and primed before I started to paint. I eneded up just scraping the paint off with a razor. Anybody have some other suggestions on paint for the windshield. I have called a few windshield shops but nobody know anything.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Apr 18 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

The guy that installed my windshield used a black primer befor gluing the glass in. He masked off an inch around the edge of the glass and painted the primer on. When it was done the primer not only helped seal the glass in but also hid the glue and the window frame with a neat black border. I also used a black rubber trim instead of the metal.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
736conver
post Apr 18 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 18 2006, 03:03 PM) *

The guy that installed my windshield used a black primer befor gluing the glass in. He masked off an inch around the edge of the glass and painted the primer on. When it was done the primer not only helped seal the glass in but also hid the glue and the window frame with a neat black border. I also used a black rubber trim instead of the metal.
Cheers, Elliot

Elliot,

Who did the install, so I can call, or do you know the name of the product. That is the info I am looking for.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:11 AM