Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: GAS WAR!!!, How we can drive down the price
dweymer
post Apr 16 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,167

if the fukin tree hugers would eat some seal meat we could drill in alaska...

or we could all stop bein pussies and buy a roof carrier instead of an escolade, or a smaller house with a bigger lot to grow corn on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Apr 16 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #22

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(JB 914 @ Apr 15 2006, 04:29 PM) *

Gas prices are high because we cannot produce enough gasoline. we have not built a new refinery in 25+ years. In fact, we have closed refineries. Everytime a refinery goes down for repair it causes a fluctuation in supply causing prices to increase.

Also, we have not been doing as much oil exploration as we have production in the last 10-15 years. Alot of the middle east oil and Alaskan oil was discovered in the 60's and 70's. those wells are not producing as much as they were in the 80's.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was watching Neil Cavuto's program on The Fox Network the other day, they were saying that gasoline would have to reach over $4.00 per gallon to be at the highest level ever, based upon percentage of income of the typical American, in other words, it's been under 6%, 6% at the highest point.

I'll be honest, good gas mileage is great, but, it's not the first thing that I look at when buying a new car, we have a 2003 Tahoe and a 2004 Silverado, their mileage is not all that bad, and I don't see us buying a Hybrid in the near future. We drive about 25,000 mile per year in each car.

If you really want to do something about the price of gas, take the bus, train, ride a bike, or buy a Hybrid, or look into the Bio Diesel, but I don't think theres alot America can do if we aren't willing to develop are own sources of oil.
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Apr 16 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

Ethanol or alcohol fuels are great. They burn cleaner and give you about 20% power increase.
You only need to double your jet size as the air fuel ratio for gas is 14:1 and alcohol is 7:1.
On the down side as you can probably notice your fuel mileage is cut in 1/2.
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Apr 16 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #24

Easy does it

Member No.: 61
Region Association: None

I'm looking at Bio Diesel too. Actually I'll probably start with a straight veggie oil conversion first and see how that goes.
The draw back is filtering the oil and installing a seperate tank with a way to heat up the line before the injection pump so the oil flows nicely.
It's not too bad since it's been done many times over, along with all the forums to help. Supposably there is a place in Fresno where you can buy used veggie oil in bulk. I'm hoping to get it in 50gal barrels. Right now I'm learning all I can before I jump in.
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Apr 16 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #25

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

I hate to burst everyone's hybrid bubble. The current cost of Hybrid cars is higher than any fuel savings you will realize thru owning a hybrid.

Hybrid's cost ~ 10K more than comparable gas only models. At $3 a gallon you will need to drive 83K miles before you realize any savings. (based on 25mpg)

How many people keep a car for 83K miles? Hybrids don't become practical until their price comes down and their fuel economy is proven.

+Quote Post
dweymer
post Apr 16 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,167

QUOTE(JB 914 @ Apr 16 2006, 12:06 PM) *

I hate to burst everyone's hybrid bubble. The current cost of Hybrid cars is higher than any fuel savings you will realize thru owning a hybrid.

Hybrid's cost ~ 10K more than comparable gas only models. At $3 a gallon you will need to drive 83K miles before you realize any savings. (based on 25mpg)

How many people keep a car for 83K miles? Hybrids don't become practical until their price comes down and their fuel economy is proven.

And just wait until you have to replace those batteries, where you gonna put the old ones?
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Apr 16 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Plus the Honda accord hybrid only gets like 2-5 mpg more than the regular accord
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Apr 16 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #28

Easy does it

Member No.: 61
Region Association: None

Just checked out the Drudge Report and seen that Exxon's Chairman is getting a retirement package of $400 Million. Maybe that money will pay for a chin tuck. Jeez $400 Million?!
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Apr 17 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't buy into the SPAM. The reason gas prices are going up is because people are buying barrels or oil for $70...that's what drives the price. Hell if somone offered me $1m for my house, I'd sell it w/o thinking about it also. If you own the oil and some retard is willing to buy it for $70/barrel when it should be more like $50, why not sell it for more and make a profit?

Typical stock market fiddling with numbers to help sell at an artificially high price. Makes me mad, but we can't do much about it...supply and demand stuff.

Also, the whole ethonol and bio-diesel stuff is nice, but it is only a supplement. We'd exhaust all our farming resources makind fuel and have no land left for food if we were dependant on only farming for fuel. I wish there was an easier answer, but there really isn't. The next super billionaire will be someone thinking outside the box to create either a super-battery or a new way to power autos etc.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Apr 17 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 178

I posted this on August 21st 2005 (8 months ago).
Since that post, Valero is up about 35%.
I offsett the higher pump prices so that the more I pay them, the more they pay me:

QUOTE (from 8/21/05) "Several years ago on the bird board and also on this board IIRC, I predicted this would happen based on demand outpacing supply and also the removal of MTBE from the gasoline pool.
I also stated that I sunk every spare penny i had into three different independant oil company stocks.

To make a long story longer, I love the high gas prices. Valero (VLO) has gone up over 400% since I first posted about it. Tesoro TSO has gone up almost 500% since i bought into it.
Sunoco hasn't done as well, but still outpaced every other sector by at least double.
Every time the gas prices go up a penny i make around $1500 on my stocks.

i can't wait til $4 a gallon, i'll be able to retire comfortably. BTW, I aint smart, just blind ass lucky enough to work in that industry at the time and see what was going on. Anyone who read my posts and followed suit has also done very well. I'm not sure but I personally don't think it's too late to enter the oil sector. Just a hunch, don't take my word for it."

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Apr 17 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #31

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Sammy just answered your question Brando! LOL!
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Apr 17 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 178

Oh and BTW, during the past 5 years, Valero has gone from a profit margin of less than 1%, to a current 4.5% profit margin.

So while they are making record profits, those profits are not as high as most people (including the media) will lead you to think.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 17 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

Gas prices are not going to get people in the US out marching in the streets (or changing habits) anytime soon. In the overall scheme of things $3 a gallon is not that big of a cost for most people. Think about how much taxes you pay (since it's tax day today) I pay more in just federal income taxes in a month than I pay all year for fuel (diesel and gas) and I make a little less than average person in the bay area.

If you think it's somehow evil for the oil companies to make a profit you should be really ticked at government for taxing fuel at 3 times the profit of the oil companies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

Ethanol won't work as sole supply there just is not enought room to grow all the crops. Bio-diesel might work if we planted the whole country in oil crops. The only cure to this is developing more energy sources while increasing efficiency. Almost everyone bitches about Hummers and other mega pigs - but that soccer mom driving the minivan down the road at 75-80 is only getting 16mpg.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 02:50 PM