Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey Turbo experts: I need intercooler and structural advise!, for twin turbo neo914-6...
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

The 2000 Audi S4 drivetrain fits with no major interference issues except where the stock intercoolers mount on either side of the engine. In the 914 this is the location where the "shelf" is located. I was wondering if I can cut the sidewall to the inside of the flare where I planned to mount these intercoolers. Would this significantly weaken that area? I actually would like to cut more than hatched area...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #2

neo life

The other question is efficiency of air management. I plan to mount them low inside the fender ahead of the rear wheels

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #3

neo life

...with an intake (maybe bigger than pictured) to divert air through the intercooler. The question is, will this be sufficient? Should I resize them or find another location (I do want my trunk space)? If need be, I will convert from water to air IC to make it more efficient. It's GOOD to have water cooling available (Eric). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) In that case it may be easier to relocate.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 15 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

maybe use a strong webbing/net to weld in the opening? ads some strenght where you removed it...
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Apr 15 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,149

Have you thought about mounting them where you have the room...and make some new IC piping to accomodate the change in position. You can still use the stock Y pipe for a stock 2.7T looking appearance.
+Quote Post
nein14
post Apr 15 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 262

Felix
I got to tell you I been following you post, this has to be one of the sweets conversions yet!!

I have a 2000 S 4 that I bought for Mrs. "I" about 5 months ago, the cars aceleration is fantastic.
That motor in 914 is going to be a MONSTER (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

As far as the intercoolers go, I think your idea of mounting them in the fenders should work with some reinforcing.

Keep up the good work BTW the headlight design is really cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 15 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #7

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

"The question is, will this be sufficient? Should I resize them or find another location (I do want my trunk space)? If need be, I will convert from water to air IC to make it more efficient. It's GOOD to have water cooling available (Eric). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) In that case it may be easier to relocate."

All of the discussions on the board about locating oil coolers and AC condensers in the engine compartment or rear fender wells all conclude with the fact that its difficult to get adequate airflow in these areas. If there is a lot of heat to reject these spaces have real limitations. As a casual observer, I would think you would be better off keeping the water cooled intercoolers and rejecting the heat through your radiator, which I assume will be front mounted. Concentrate on the front radiator mounting and its airflow. After all, that's what Audi did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BTW, great project. I enjoy seeing your progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #8

neo life

Guys,

Thanks for the thumbs up and input. It's really appreciated and helps my motivation to finish. I sometimes wonder if this project is worth posting as it opposes what most 914 owners are trying to accomplish.

I was incorrect to say "from" water to air IC, it is currently air to air. Water cooling will complicate the plumbing and I haven't even dealt with the heater yet. Considering the engine heat and yes the turbos will multipy that, if I cut the sidewall it will primarily be for a little extra space for the intercoolers. And I thought the "bigass flares" would be big enough for the ~7" wide IC's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I can put another cover on it to insulate them from the heat which will re-strengthen that wall.

I'm going to try stock location first and as Sonu suggests the plumbing can be re-routed. If I relocate them too far from the engine, the air will have to travel even further. Maybe supplemental inline cooling would work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You can see the IC's on either side in this wrecked Audi

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:06 AM