Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC: All-season performance tire recommendations?, Daily-driver and weekend warrior shoes for my Jetta.
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Apr 15 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #1

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Group: Members
Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

It's that time of year again where I need to get new, sticky tires for my '95 VW Jetta -- come to think of it, my girlfriend's '02 Passat needs tires as well. Anyway, what I currently have:
Kuhmo 215/40ZR16, Treadwear 280, Traction AA, Temp. A

I'm looking for a good, all-season performance tire. Good water-evacuation is a "must have". I'd rather error on excellent summer performance than cold-weather performance. The snow/ice we get here in Portland is only a couple weeks at most, and generally not consecutively. But it does stay wet. I also will use the same tires for auto-crossing (EP).

I liked the Kuhmos (my second set). They're nice in the wet and when new. But as they get to the replacment point their traction isn't good. What I did like about them is that they didn't break-away immediately -- they would balk and squeal, giving good audio feedback when their limit was being reached, thus no surprises when traction was finally lost.

Recommendations? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/no_rear_emblems.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 16 2006, 05:29 AM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Toyo T1-S. Good on the track. Good in the wet. Not so good in the snow.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 16 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #3

2270 club

Member No.: 218

The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are pretty awesome sticky, daily driver tires. They are exceptional in the wet according to tire rack tests and almost equal to the Bridgestone SO-3 in the dry.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Apr 16 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

that jetta's illegally parked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i like the kuhmo 712. i had them on one of my Mercedes. Good all around tire.

you are going to sacrafice some performance with a harder tire, but it has a really high tread rating for a Z rated tire.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Apr 16 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 16 2006, 10:57 AM) *

The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are pretty awesome sticky, daily driver tires. They are exceptional in the wet according to tire rack tests and almost equal to the Bridgestone SO-3 in the dry.

Yeah, I've been on The Tire Rack website for over an hour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Reviews are all over the board. And since I don't know if the complaints are legit or just driver error they really aren't much help. So far I've got these four tires as candidates from various searches there (in no particular order):
  • Sumitomo HTR+
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
  • Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
  • Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (good example of contrasting reviews...but rated the best in the "High Performance All-Season" category)
I went to the Les Schwab web site and the only Toyo's they have are Proxes T1-R (new model?) No real information, either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

People keep mentioning 'bubbling' on the Goodyear's you mention...what's 'bubbling'?

Anyway, this is frustrating! I know I'll be sacrificing one thing for another...maybe I'm fretting over split-hairs? Wish I could afford dedicated summer and winter tires :pray:
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 17 2006, 01:25 AM
Post #6

2270 club

Member No.: 218

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Apr 16 2006, 12:59 PM) *

People keep mentioning 'bubbling' on the Goodyear's you mention...what's 'bubbling'?

I'm not sure what they mean by bubbling - a tire defect? I have the Goodyear GS-D3 on my 911 and love them. I've done a 2 day AX school (dozens of runs) and several other AXs as well as a two years of agressive driving on them and they have been fantastic tires and still have lots of tread.
+Quote Post
gopack
post Apr 17 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #7

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

I had the Kuhmo exsta 712s on my 89 maxima when I lived in NM. they were very good in rain which is one reason I bought them. I loved the way they handled in the mountains too!

(IMG:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/GOPACK42/old%20pics/1cfd.jpg)(IMG:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/GOPACK42/old%20pics/4118.jpg)
PLUS I liked the way they looked too. I wouldnt expect more than one seasons worth of use from them if you drive hard, AND they really SUCK in snow so there is that.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 17 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

the 712's are a great way to go, especially if you don't drive in any snow and ice. there's compromises with everything, but they kick butt.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Apr 18 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #9

I just went out an checked my tires...Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I'm tempted by the Goodyears. I know the Kumho's are good in the rain and suck in the snow -- but I have dedicated snow tires w/studs for those days -- but the pricing is in my range (leaving more for the 914)...decisions decisions...
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Apr 18 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,604

From Consumer Reports....Tires rated by number...Best is highest number, worst is lowest number.
I have Bridgstone Potenza Re 950 on my 914, and like them.

Ratings Performance all-season car tires

CR Quick Recommendations

See a summary of test findings and Quick Picks--the choices that merit first consideration.

Top scorers blend added grip with less noise. Some of the most comfortable and fuel-efficient tires scored lowest overall, however. And for both groups, price bore little relationship to performance.
The Ratings rank tires by overall performance within types. Our Quick Picks focus on value and specific driving needs.

QuickPicks

If fuel mileage is a priority:

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus

This Michelin MXV4 Plus is among the lowest for rolling resistance, but it's pricey.
Best for most; fine grip with comfort:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
Falken Ziex ZE 512

The Falken Ziex ZE 512 emphasizes braking and ride, the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H handling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If winter driving isn't a factor or you own a set of winter tires:

Bridgestone RE950

The Bridgestone Potenza RE950 offers the best three-season grip in this category.

Close

Click for more information

Brand and model Overall score Dry Wet Winter Comfort Other
indicates a Quick Pick
meriting first consideration.

Falken Ziex ZE 512
Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
Bridgestone RE950
Michelin Pilot XGT H4
Dunlop SP Sport A2
Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
Sumitomo Srixon 4
Continental ContiTouring Contact
Kelly Charger HR
Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE
Toyo Proxes TPT
Goodyear Eagle LS
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring HR
General Exclaim
Firestone Affinity LH30
Marketed as sport performance; others are touring performance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:38 AM