Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Instant on laser.....
Joe Bob
post Sep 17 2003, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Finally got hit with "instant on" laser today....luckily I was only doing 42ish in a 40 mph zone.....the motorcycle cop motioned me to slow down.

My V-1 gave me an alert as soon as I was hit...but the unit was like 30 yards in front of me. I hit the brakes, no dive due to my stiff suspension but I would have been toast if I was doing 5-10 mph more.

There was no "scatter" from previous hits to give me any warning. It did go off again with the arrow pointing behind me when he beamed someone else.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 17 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

My V-1 goes off in laser mode more and more these days...but I am not quite sure if they are real bogeys or just more of those damn LED tail-lights. The new Chebby SUV's (Trailblazer or sumthinlikethat?) have them, among others. Really irritating.

I still count the V-1 as up near the very top list of "smart buys" I have made. The little sucker has saved my butt umpteen times on PCH.
+Quote Post
ss6
post Sep 18 2003, 11:49 AM
Post #3

fun city...

Member No.: 221

That's why the laser is the hot ticket (pun intended) in the law enforcement community - with the tight focus of the laser, by the time your receiver lights up, you're already busted. Your only hope is that you're not far enough over the threshold of pain to be chased down.

Interesting that the LED tail lights set these things off; you used to at least be able to home in on the local liquor store (alarm system) with the old radar detectors, but now it seems they are even less useful.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 18 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

One ticket in 16 years of driving.. I have never owned a radar detector of any sort. I dont find it too difficult to be smarter than the cops when it come to hiding places.

Simple rules:

1. People in front of you will ALWAYS hit the brakes when they see a cop (slow down before you get there)
2. Watch the tops of overpasses.
3. Look over your shoulder when passing under a bridge (they sit on the on ramps)
4. Dont speed excessively at night. You cant see them.. but they can see you.
5. Watch your rearview mirror 60% of the drive time. Everyone I see busted on the freeways is being busted by a cop who came up from behind and watched them from 1-2 lanes over then swoops in and busts them for speeding.
6. I have been pulled over 10-15 times... I have been let go because of ONE reason. I fully extend my arms out the window of the vehicle so they can see both hands before they even leave their patrol car.. I also MAKE my passenger do the same thing. I started doing this when I noticed the cops getting out of their vehicle with their hand on or near their gun... when I stick my hands out the window (and turn on the interior lights at night) they walk up with almost a "bounce" in their step and NO F-ing attitude. Calming the cop down in the first minutes of him pulling you over changes EVERYTHING. The hands thing may sound stupid... but what do you have to lose by trying... your already pulled over at that point...

Lessons in life .. BY Tony Roberts.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Sep 18 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

trip back from MI a couple weeks ago and must have seen 20 cops just on the turnpike from toledo to PA border. cops on overpasses clocking and then would radio ahead to cops waiting in the special ohio cop slots in the median. nearly had 3 tickets that day. twice they got the person next to me and the 3rd time I thought for sure I was nabbed, cop pulled out after me, but then gave up?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 18 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Yep. When you see ONE person standing on top of bridge and NO other pedestrians around.. and he is facing your car while you travel up the freeway... slow down.

B
+Quote Post
Boldylocks
post Sep 18 2003, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chatsmiley.gif) Hands out of the car.
I've had two tickets out here in Cali and I cant complain, both times I was flying heading for a seminar once, getting away from drunk students racing their japanese crazy cars the second time. Both times I should have been given an expensive ticket (exceeded 25 over the speed limit both times) but the cop was cool and gave me a reduced ticket because I did -relax him- before he got out of his car.
Good advice 'chilling' out the cop as quickly as possible.
Also, since I knew I was speeding, in reality, what could I do once caught.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Sep 18 2003, 04:38 PM
Post #8

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

I have been let go because of ONE reason. I fully extend my arms out the window of the vehicle so they can see both hands before they even leave their patrol car

I have a concealed handgun permit so I do this as well...and it doesn't make one damn bit of difference. I don't give them attitude, either. I guess they're just jealous of my boyish good looks...yeah, that's it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Sep 18 2003, 06:22 PM
Post #9

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yessir,

Lusterless green paint, that's the ticket. Army puts it on their equipment to absorb/trap energy from laser spotters.

Only have to put an electric blue wash coat on the car, followed by a white coat, followed by a bright yellow coat, followed by a coat of green. Dunno what's in the layers of paint, but I bet it's reeeeely expensive. We would check the (lack of) reflectance with lasers.

Ken
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 18 2003, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

what if you covered the car in foam. absorb the beam of the laser (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:37 PM