Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Car, What Do You Guys Think?
zeekman914
post Apr 18 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,202

Alright, I've dicided, thanks to your guys's advice that im going to sell the 76' 914 2.0 I bought and get another one that is a little older. Here's my point I found this 1970 1.7 in Redding (2 hours away from me) and I wanted to know your guys's opinion before I get it. There is a reserve but I think it will be low because it does not run. I want to either put a SBC or a Subie motor into it. What i want to know is just what you guys think, if it will be too much work to fix the rust. (I don't see a battery tray.) I asked him to post more pics. I also asked more about the rust. I want to either get it running until i can get the funds to transform it or just fix the stuff like the brakes and tires, etc and drop the motor and sell it off.

Ebay Item #: 4631887593

Here's a link to the ebay auction for #4631887593

This post has been edited by Gint: Apr 18 2006, 06:01 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Apr 18 2006, 04:34 AM
Post #2

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hello
I think the seller has made it clear that its a parts car #1 restorable #2.
The way the add is worded, it a given for rusted longs. This does not say that its not do-able, depending on your abillities. but these areas are time consuming, and downrite shitty work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The car is definately worth more then $250, and in you neck of the woods, parts are easier to find, bumpers tops are hard to find anywhere tho.
For something you want to drive and transform, you might want to get something a little more complete and road ready, for a restoration, its as good as any.

Hate to see another teener die... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Good luck
Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
zeekman914
post Apr 18 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #3

Could you please explain to me what "longs" are.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 18 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Apr 18 2006, 11:33 AM) *

Could you please explain to me what "longs" are.

Do you see the black between your two wheels in your avatar? Thats the rocker pannel.

Behind the rocker pannel is the longs. The longs are the only part of the body that holds it together.. most crutial...

Andrew
+Quote Post
type47
post Apr 18 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

"longs" are the "frame" (not really a frame since 914 is unibody) or body parts below the doors running from the front wheelwell to the rear wheelwell. 914's are notorious rust buckets partly caused by the wrong location of the battery. original batteries were wet cells that could (and did) leak battery acid partly due to the explosure of the top of the battery to rain, which then dripped down from the battery support to the inside of the engine compartment below the battery. this acid ate away at the ungalvanized metal body and eventually can find its way down into the longitudinal boxey part of the body that provides much of the support to the car.

everybody on this board will ask about the condition of the "longs" and the "hell hole" to anyone looking to buy a 914.
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Apr 18 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #6

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

here's the thiing,, i would love that car,, as a parts car to finish my -6 it has good early bumper, trim , decent interior, ,, the only thing thing that is keeping me from bidding is 1000 shipping, but if you buy it,, wanna sell some parts????
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Apr 18 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://k43.pbase.com/u21/9146gt/small/36763456.LongitudinalRestorationPhoto24.jpg)

(IMG:http://mikilo.image.pbase.com/v3/17/292717/4/50407212.LongitudinalRetorationRHSideOct2005Photo21.jpg)

The longitudinals that run along both sides of the car. Covered up by the black rocker panels, where the jack points are.

Jen

edit: once again, a day late and a $ short.
+Quote Post
rmital
post Apr 18 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

Longitudinal right at the jacking point.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zeekman914
post Apr 18 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #9

I emailed the guy and this is what he said:

Rust....I would replace the passenger side long, the floor pans in the interior and the right rear trailing connector area. www.partsheaven.com will sell a right rear quarter panel for $125. This way you can pick and choose the pieces that you need or want to replace. The interior is your standard interior on an old 914. The dash has one small crack, the door panels have been cut to add speakers (I didn't do it...and wouldn't have done it). The back panel is in good condition. I do actually have the seats but they are on a car that is getting painted and so I don't have access to them at present. Whoever buys the car can have them when I get them back. The seats will need to be recovered. All glass is present. Weather stripping is about a 5. Time permitting, I will try to get you a few more pictures but this gives you the majority of the info that you are looking for. Thanks, Von

Should i buy it or let it go?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 18 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Let it go.

Not something you want to deal with in CA.

+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 18 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #11

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Zeekman,

What type of V8 conversion are you looking at doing?

Depending on you budget, I may have a helluva project car with a full Renegade Hybrids conversion kit and 380HP SBC/ tall ratio 901 for sale.

You can PM me offline or carry the conversation here.

I'll post pics of JLO, but the car is in my Avatar.

Sometimes you spend some money up front, but you get a killer project.

i.e. no rust, new motor and tranny, A/C, 911 Carrera suspension.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

In any event, I'd let the rusty thing go and look for something else.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Apr 18 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #12

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

If you can get it cheep, get it for parts. Then find a clean tub and do a Mr. Potatohead (interchangable parts) Might as well address the rust and paint it while it is apart. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:40 AM