Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running Hot!, What can I do?
Heeltoe914
post Apr 19 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,506

Have you checked to make sure all the fan blades are there?
Put a Fuel pressure gauge on the drivers side with a long hose that allows you to read it while driving. Than and only than will you know if it is lean. Or put it on a CO scanner. You can screw the flaps always open which is very common on Hot whether cars. are you running 30W? IMHO. Is the dist, advancing to much? Check for loss plate in Dist,. well thats where I would start.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Apr 19 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #22

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

What is the oil temp. doing. Maybe try a different cht gauge and sender.
Elliot
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Apr 19 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,663

Fan is in great shape. Oil temps get pretty hot, but not into the red, but I think that's caused by running through the hot heads.
Gauge and sender is a Westach, which I'm fairly sure has Jakes seal of a approval as far as CHT gauges are concerned
Heeltoe914, I'm not real sure how a pressure gauge is going to help me, I was running it with a Wideband O2 sensor, and it was not leaning out.
As far as the dizzy, I would think if it's acting up, it would show up in the O2 gauge. Also I would be hearing Knocks and/or backfires. Would I have to pull the dizzy to run those checks?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 20 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Something's missing here. There's only a few things that should cause high head temps, and it looks to me like they've been covered. If the fan is good, the tin is good and guiding the air over the heads, the air passageways/fins are clean, the timing is good, the dwell is good, the head temp gauge and sender/placement is good, etc., etc.......

Well, what else is there? Does anything in that path need another re-evaluation?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 20 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #25

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Dude by me a ticket. I'll come out there and fix your car.

TIMING TIMING TIMNG. Even a little bit off will affect the temps.
Next pull a plug and take a picture post here.

If you think the engine is perfect then look somewhere else. ARE YOUR BRAKES DRAGGING?
+Quote Post
agrump
post Apr 20 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,103

How about the sound deadening material on the firewall? It looked a little loose on the tuning thread. Might be blocking the fan at speed. I had a karmann ghia that did that, the firewall material looked to be in place at idle and even revving with the trunk open but when the lid was closed it would pull it toward the fan opening. Simple fix but took a long time to find.

My motor is not stock so I'm not sure the following applies to your situation.

I found that my head temps were unacceptable at cruise at 13.8:1. I lowered my AFR to 13.2:1 and head temps now go to around 375 on #3. When I got the car it was running carbs tuned to 12:1 at cruise, head temps were really low but so was the MPG. My MPG is better but still poor, around 17.5 mpg but I think that is about as good as it gets with my engine combo. It is a 2056 with an aftermarket cam, 280 duration (FC-442).

I've been fighting high oil temps at idle that are probably caused by leaks in the tin around the ac compressor. I've sealed the hole a bit better and flipped the air filter housing so that the opening is toward the front of the car instead of the back. IAT's are better but the jury is still out on the oil temps. PO added an aux oil cooler but I'm thinking that is just making things worse as the hot air has no where to go. I added a fan but I need to duct the exit air out the back of the car before I throw in the towel.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Apr 20 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,506

Heeltoe914, I'm not real sure how a pressure gauge is going to help me, I was running it with a Wideband O2 sensor, and it was not leaning out.
As far as the dizzy, I would think if it's acting up, it would show up in the O2 gauge. Also I would be hearing Knocks and/or backfires. Would I have to pull the dizzy to run those checks?

In reply I can tell you from my own nightmares that just a little bit of advance changes makes a big dif, I have never used the 02 thing you mentioned but if you know it ok. but keep in mind you have a cat and muffler that cleans up what comes out, Kinda, I like the old fashion way run the hose. you will see it a short time of driving. Easy test. Also is your heater vents installed as it comes from the bottom of the fan. make sure you are not loosing air in that part of the system. Knocks and backfire Yes if the change was big enought. One other thing to check is the heat range on the plugs. and if you can tell me what the temp, reading off the exhust pipe are where it comes from the head. are all the temp close?? Use a Infa read temp gauge if you have one. Good luck
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:58 PM